• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dance with Devils

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:45 am Reply with quote
Yeah, i also find the "the devils have been kinder to Ritsuka overall" statement highly debatable. And as long as Rem doesn't get an equally sad backstory as Lindo (and who didn't see the not really siblings thing coming from miles away?), i don't really feel like rooting for him ... Wink
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:35 pm Reply with quote
It's kind of funny that both Rem and Lindo have daddy issues. Perhaps they will eventually bond over this and their love for Ritsuka. Wink
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:05 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
It's kind of funny that both Rem and Lindo have daddy issues. Perhaps they will eventually bond over this and their love for Ritsuka. Wink

Perhaps Ritsuka too. Maybe I am getting facts wrong, but apparently Ritsuka's father is the devil king, which I though was also supposed to be Rem's father.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:47 am Reply with quote
I thought so too, actually, but I couldn't find anything to confirm or deny it. If Maksis is both Rem and Ritsuka's dad, however, that means that both of the currently-winning options are incestuous...
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:01 am Reply with quote
Incest for everyone, yay! Shocked

At this point I'm cheering for pretty vampire boy, just because I love his makeup and color scheme. I actually enjoyed this episode for itself. We got some answers, a slightly more aggressive Ritsuka, and Rem being given the perfect name: spoiler[ Emo liar!] Hahaha that's perfect.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:41 am Reply with quote
"Emo Liar" is perfect, but they were pronouncing it "Eh-mo" rather than "Eee-mo", which threw me off.

In Loewen's episode, Rem was angry at Loewen for pretending to serve his father while really continuing to serve the deposed Maksis. If Maksis is Rem's actual father, why would Rem be upset? I know they implied that Rem wasn't a legitimate Arlong heir or something, but I doubt Maksis is his dad.

Ritsuka should be eternally grateful she didn't inherit her dad's looks. It'd be hard to pass as a normal girl if she looked like a big, green, troll thing. Wink
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:32 am Reply with quote
How many times, Ritsuka? How many times does Lind have to tell you to stay put before you'll listen? You could have stayed with Lind until he woke up and THEN after he got better, you could have gotten him food and water. Why would you walk around in a school with nobody around? The day we get a competent otome anime heroine (there are good otome game heroines out there, but otome game turned anime heroines? Mmm...) will be the day a great sacrifice is made.

Poor Lind. It must be so difficult having a thickheaded idiot like Ritsuka as a sister. It's a shame. Ristuka showed so much promise in the beginning. And how she and Rem were suddenly 'in love' will never make sense to me. It was never implied why Rem suddenly fell in love with her (though he doesn't admit it in this episode).

P.S The mother is called Maria and father Maksis so why is the child called Ristuka, a Japanese name?
sunflower

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:01 am Reply with quote
^Got to be honest here. While I don't like heroines who are stupid, I'd like even less a heroine who stayed put just because some man told her to.

I just found myself wondering, how far away is the freaking vending machine from the infirmary? Most infirmaries are stocked with food for people with low blood sugar and water for those who are dehydrated anyway! But then, why worry about realism in an anime musical with singing devils and vampires? Laughing
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11 at start there is a small fail if anyone else noticed ^^ She hits her left knee and got bandage on the right one in next few secs xD and later on they fixed it and she had it on the left then as it should be Smile
manzoku

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:49 pm Reply with quote
BlackPoint. wrote:
Episode 11 at start there is a small fail if anyone else noticed ^^ She hits her left knee and got bandage on the right one in next few secs xD and later on they fixed it and she had it on the left then as it should be Smile

The door Ritsuka was standing in front of was a mirror. What the viewer saw was a mirrored reflection (which explained why the vampires couldn't be seen), therefore they were correct to show the injury on her right knee rather than her left. Wink
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:56 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
^Got to be honest here. While I don't like heroines who are stupid, I'd like even less a heroine who stayed put just because some man told her to.

Well, yeah, but it's not "just because" she was told to. The because is that she's essentially defenseless against the various forces targeting her. Her gender isn't the reason she should stay put. It's because she's completely out of her depth here and the focus of the attacks as well.

If you've been watching Gintama lately, (big Gintama spoilers)spoiler[the shogun is also told to stay put and doesn't, and that irritates me too, even though I understand his much better explained reasons for not complying, as well as that he's at least had some training and knows what he's up against.]

Episode 11

Sweet baby Jesus that song was painful. Yikes. But the impromptu costume change was great, as was the demon trio dashing off with no idea where they were going. Loved the review as well - it was as entertaining as the episode was.

Btw, the injury was on her right knee, shown on her left knee in mirror image. I loved that they got her a bandaid for it later. Who'd expect them to have bandaids in a vampire castle? :D
sunflower

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
sunflower wrote:

Well, yeah, but it's not "just because" she was told to. The because is that she's essentially defenseless against the various forces targeting her. Her gender isn't the reason she should stay put. It's because she's completely out of her depth here and the focus of the attacks as well.

She's not defenseless though. She had a massive untapped power that kills all the vamps when it's used. But no one wants to help her learn to use it because they're idiot men protecting the little lady for her own good, even though she probably has more power than they do. It has everything to do with gender.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:39 pm Reply with quote
So the show is saying that the magic fire circle to make themselves look cool made during the song was actually done because we see some of it afterwards. I was totally laughing at the song, it is so bad it is good. Like what were we supposed to think the vampires were thinking just watching it? I half expected the vampire king to join in and start singing, of course it would have to be rap, and preferably he would also breakdance.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:12 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
sunflower wrote:

She's not defenseless though. She had a massive untapped power that kills all the vamps when it's used. But no one wants to help her learn to use it because they're idiot men protecting the little lady for her own good, even though she probably has more power than they do. It has everything to do with gender.

While I agree with you on a meta level it's because she's the heroine and thus she has to be helpless and be saved by her sexy harem, I wouldn't necessarily say that in-universe, it's strictly a "stay in the kitchen" sort of reasoning. While you'd have to question Lindo for the details, it hasn't really been suggested that the grimoire's power is something that Ritsuka is free to access as she pleases. So far it's shown up when she's under extreme emotional duress - the two examples so far are before the series started, when she heard her grandfather died, and then when Azuna died. It seemed more like an overflow than her actively tapping into the power. (All previous times she warded off devils/vampires, it was thanks to the pendant her mother gave her or the ring Lindo gave her.)

So unless there is some hidden training method that's already known that could let her use the power (in which case you're right, the guys are being dumb), it doesn't seem wise to attempt to get Ritsuka to take out all the vamps herself. I mean, what are they supposed to do? Round up her other school friends and kill them too? Maybe stab Lindo, or threaten to finish off her mom? Even if that got the job done, I don't think Ritsuka would be very appreciative afterwards.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:15 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:

She's used that power once (and I bet it'll come into play again in the finale too), and it's also a unique power that no one else has, how was Lindo (who's pretty much been the only one telling her to 'stay put') ever supposed to teach her how to use it when he can't even control his own vampiric impulses? And hasn't it been implied that if she becomes the grimoire she, as a person, would die/cease to exist? It's possible Lindo doesn't know she can use it at will -if she even can-. I'll agree that his willfully keeping information from her was shitty, but I can't say he's actively trying to keep her defenseless just so he can protect her or that I blame him for not teaching her how to use the power, because there's no indication he would know how. He's actually given her more than one protective charm/amulet.

As for the other guys, it seems none of them even knew she was the grimoire until recently (I'm not sure about Rem, but the other four only figured it out after her power was released), so why would you expect them to teach her how to use its power?

Tbh I was very displeased with initial episodes in which Lindo locked Ritsuka inside the house -especially because he wasn't even explaining things to her-, but at this point the fact that she continues to venture into the world when she can't actually defend herself in any competent capacity (and will fall for the first liar that crosses her path) is way more frustrating.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8