• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Wow... I think I actually like Rumbling Hearts.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Just thought I'd call everyone's attention to this: AoD has done a review of volume 1, and I was a bit surprised--I was expecting that the review would tear the series to shreds, but it's quite positive. I'd been a bit concerned about the video quality with 5 episodes on the disc (I would've gladly paid for 4 volumes and a 4-4-3-3 episode count), but everything seems okay. I imagine the reviews on this site won't be quite as positive, depending on who's doing the review.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I always get confused between Rumbling Hearts and School Rumble, and I haven't seen either. School Rumble has not been released yet but I think that will also cause confusion for fans, who are not into fansubs and therefore may not have gained familiarity with the differences between these two shows.

Anyhow I myself am kind of skeptical about Rumbling Hearts, if from what I've heard there is just cheesy, cliche romance there's nothing about it that will interest me. It must have something special to set it apart like martial arts, aliens, adventure and/or action, I want shounen appeal in my sappy love stories!
Fui

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
I always get confused between Rumbling Hearts and School Rumble, and I haven't seen either. School Rumble has not been released yet but I think that will also cause confusion for fans, who are not into fansubs and therefore may not have gained familiarity with the differences between these two shows.

Anyhow I myself am kind of skeptical about Rumbling Hearts, if from what I've heard there is just cheesy, cliche romance there's nothing about it that will interest me. It must have something special to set it apart like martial arts, aliens, adventure and/or action, I want shounen appeal in my sappy love stories!

I remember it as Kimi ga Nozomu Eien (The eternity you wished for) or KGNE , which is widely used in short. I'm not really sure why they changed the name on this one. Rumbling Hearts kind of reminds me of Kingdom Hearts.

*edit: I just noticed on the ad (and I'm assuming the official R1 packaging) they put "Kiminozu" (which would be short for the JP name) in microscopic letters between the Rumbling Hearts font. No idea why they would do that. Maybe its the same idea as putting microscopic "shakugan no" next to the massive SHANA text.

I kind of thought it was the opposite of cheesy. The thing that people really rag on about this show is its level of emoness (if you will) and drama. It has a very somber mood and you'll probably feel like /wristing halfway through, but I think the storytelling is really good and the emotions depicted are quite understandable, despite what people say. If you feel like watching something kind of depressing but pretty engaging, it's a great series.

School Rumble is also awesome if you like comedy. It's overall just fun to keep on watching, but If you don't enjoy the first 5 episodes don't bother with the rest because the style never changes. I found Tenma to be likeable overall, although there are others who beg to differ...
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Ok thanks Fui. Since we are talking about School Rumble I might check that out first once it gets released. I'm still wary about RH since I enjoyed Ichigo 100% and loved Midori Days but disliked Air and I'm not too interested in seeing Kanon. School Rumble seems to have that silliness and cleverness that I like.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:55 pm Reply with quote
The name change was dictated by the Japanese side, and IIRC it's "Kiminozo" printed as a subtitle on the artwork, not "Kiminozu" [/nitpick]
Past wrote:
Ok thanks Fui. Since we are talking about School Rumble I might check that out first once it gets released. I'm still wary about RH since I enjoyed Ichigo 100% and loved Midori Days but disliked Air and I'm not too interested in seeing Kanon. School Rumble seems to have that silliness and cleverness that I like.
Although RH does have some comic relief to it, the tone is much more similar to series like SaiKano (which I know you dropped), and to Air, Shuffle!, and other "based on an erogame" series. RH doesn't have any supernatural/sci-fi elements, and is overall short on "shounen appeal." However, I don't consider it cliched because it's not like typical romances (i.e. Boys Be, Suzuka, To Heart), it's not a harem (like Love Hina, Ai yori aoshi, Tenchi, etc.), and has a majority of its action take place after high school. RH also features characters doing the kinds of things that adults (and teenagers Shocked) do in relationships, unlike the majority of romance anime that borders on "comically chaste."
But you've got reason to be wary, Past, since its appeal to me was similar to the depressing/dramatic appeal of those other series like Air that I like so much. Still, should you ever want to check out Rumbling Hearts, you'll have the opportunity at some point Wink
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:43 am Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
I knew from the very beginning of the show what it would be like. And I was absolutely right.

That was pretty much how I thought of KgNE when I first heard about it. Though I kept on putting it off to keep up with newer series. I had also read the ending spoilers regarding the series, since I didn't think I'd be watching it right away, only to eventually watch it 2 weeks later, because I couldn't hold back any longer. And let's just say that I'm much more careful when deciding which series to read spoilers on now. Rolling Eyes

I simply loved the series, as I generally enjoy watching romantic dramas now, in regards to anime. The end of episode 2 was unexpected for me (didn't spoil myself there Smile), and I thought that it was a really good twist (no, I don't watch any j-drama). Though I also eventually got fed up of Akane's bitching and explosions of anger, as understandable as it is.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:42 am Reply with quote
When i finished watching episode one I immediately said this is KOR but without the gimmicks. Not that that is a bad thing, because in Kimagure Orange Road the gimmicks were never overwhelming, just a means to an end. But this looks like the same plot but without all that. Normal people with normal troubles that could very well be based on a true story. I loved KOR. I think I'll give this one a go as well when it comes out here.
EmDiPi_Micke

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:39 am Reply with quote
I recently finished Rumbling Hearts. I saw every episode at my friends house, all night. It is truly a masterpiece! I don't know if I like the end or not - spoiler[since I really wanted him to be with Haruka, but then they did that "sayonara" and he found Hayase and they got together, nah, didn't liked that. But I did like that Shinji got together with that girl, whatever her name was, and that Haruka published her book (even though I saw that coming). And that Takayuki saw her book and smiled, etc. It was all good. But the things I don't like is (excluding that he chosed the wrong girl) the fact that they didn't end up like friends. So, the sayonara-thing actually was a real goodbye, which made me sad. Why couldn't they be friends? Sad Did Shinji and Takayuki became friends? And btw, Hayase and Takayuki - did their relationship last?] So, that's the things that bugs me.

Anywho, when I came home yesterday I logged on to wikipedia and read about this anime - hoping that it would be an OVA. Yes, but only spin-offs, and not story related. Then I read this:

Quote:
Also, a second anime series is currently under production which will have an alternate retelling of the plot.

Does that mean that the Rumbling Hearts that are being advertised for here on ANN, is that the new series with another plot (..and ending)?

So, my questions are: How will this new series look like? Since I don't know if a saw the new or the old series, which one did I see? Is the new series released yet? And, of course, I want to know everything about this new series.

Hope that you anime "gurus" can help me with these questions Very Happy
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:47 am Reply with quote
DVD 1 will make a great Christmas gift, with 5 episodes to boot. Happy Holidays with Kiminozo! Cool

EmDiPi_Micke wrote:
Does that mean that the Rumbling Hearts that are being advertised for here on ANN, is that the new series with another plot (..and ending)?

No, Rumbling Hearts is just the English name of the Kiminozo we all know and love. All this "new series" business is still in the rumour mill.

Quote:
So, my questions are: How will this new series look like? Since I don't know if a saw the new or the old series, which one did I see? Is the new series released yet? And, of course, I want to know everything about this new series.

This "new series" would be an alternate retelling in which Takayuki takes the "Haruka route" instead of choosing Mitsuki, and would probably be animated by Studio Fantasia. But don't get your hopes up, if there even is a new series it probably won't debut until Haruhi Season 2 does (which is Fall 2007 at the earliest).
EmDiPi_Micke

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:52 am Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:

Quote:

This "new series" would be an alternate retelling in which Takayuki takes the "Haruka route" instead of choosing Mitsuki, and would probably be animated by Studio Fantasia. But don't get your hopes up, if there even is a new series it probably won't debut until Haruhi Season 2 does (which is Fall 2007 at the earliest).

I see. Thanks though. Hope there'll be a remake, or else I have to go to a shrink because the ending really touched me.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:09 am Reply with quote
I just finished the the first DVD of this...and I'm loving it! I've really got to stop reading Zalis' posts. He's getting me into trouble by finding good series and telling people about them! Wink Laughing Laughing

The surprise of spoiler[jumping into bed in ep. 2 ] did surprise me. Most of what I have in my collection doesn't have anything like that. In fact the only two that I can think of are Ceres and Fushigi Yugi and it seems like the characters waited quite a bit in those two but I'm not really sure how much time had past in RH.

Someone mentioned about how stupid they thought Haruka was for spoiler[not noticing that everyone was older. And the "requirement" that they hide how much time had past was stupid as well. I'm inclined to agree on this fact. She didn't notice that her hair grew about 1 foot?! Kinda hard to do that overnight not to mention the whole aging thing, especially at that age. I just saw my cousin's 14-year-old after 9 months, and the kid looks like a completely different person almost...not to mention the voice change.]

But other than that, my only other nitpick with RH is that Funimation has fallen back to their old (?) habit of not listing in the credits who the Japanese VAs are.

I'm really looking forward to the rest of this series.
EmDiPi_Micke

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:31 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
In fact the only two that I can think of are Ceres and Fushigi Yugi and it seems like the characters waited quite a bit in those two but I'm not really sure how much time had past in RH.

I've thought about that too, and I think that they waited around a week. Which is normal in certain ages, and in some not. This actually makes me wonder - how old are they? ^^

LydiaDianne wrote:
The surprise of spoiler[jumping into bed in ep. 2 ] did surprise me.

Surprises usually surprise people. ^^
Drakashi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:26 pm Reply with quote
When I started watching anime, RH was one of the first I saw 'cause someone recommended it, and honestly it is indeed a great anime.

I usually dont like this type of anime and that it is in my favorite list is something big when my fav type of anime, movie, books & manga are fantasy.
And I have to admit, I CRIED AT THE END! >o<

((PS: Sorry if my english is not too good -.-"))
EmDiPi_Micke

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Drakashi wrote:
I CRIED AT THE END! >o<

Who didn't, really? At least, I cried inside.
Drakashi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:57 pm Reply with quote
EmDiPi_Micke wrote:
Drakashi wrote:
I CRIED AT THE END! >o<

Who didn't, really? At least, I cried inside.

Well... My friend didn't -.-" ... But he is kinda cold, So that doesn't count, right?!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12