• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Prince of Stride: Alternative (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Apparently the solution was to find someone not on his team to talk to. See, he did solve it himself!

...except for where not-Haru solved it all by telling him he wanted to run with him.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:50 am Reply with quote
Yagami was burdened..
Fujiwara was trying to help in his own unique way.
Ayumu isn't in that great shape either..
Yagami needs to get out of his shadow..
Looks like he finally got some confidence.
Good for him.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:51 am Reply with quote
Episode 11:

Looks like Honan did win after training and promises.

I really feel like episode 11 is more of a finale even though there's still one more episode left. Rather predictable but Honan definitely deserved it especially after seeing how hard everyone worked.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Unless only 4 teams entered, we skipped a few races. Just assumed the first the last race will be with the team they ran with first in a time trial.

Also all of those heights and jumping off them seem more than a little dangerous.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale):

Uh yeah, I liked this show on occasionally but overall it didn't work for me in the end. Episode 11 felt more like a climax to me rather than the finale. On a brighter note, some of the soundrck of this series is neat.

The final episode seemed really underwhelming..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:50 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

That is just great, put all the work of making the previous episode climactic, and then the next episode anti-climactic with showing the results via a magazine cover. Honestly I don't quite feel it was even deserved.

I have not been a fan of the show. My comments have probably boarded on hate watching, but I have largely only been commenting on it since that I know that such sports shows can actually be good (Free and Haikyuu). The obvious inspiration seems to be Free, the title of "End of Summer" even brings to mind "Eternal Summer", but I just don't think this show brought anything. Were the guys attractive? Well I probably not the best one to answer that, it is not quite why I watch it, but it missed the fun with that which the show it is emulating did. The characters are not interesting, and many interactions simply push suspension of belief a bit far, or are annoying. I don't think that I am alone in saying that many jokes just don't land. And I still don't understand the reaction from rival teams.

I do have a couple thoughts of the end itself. Maybe not showing the exact end could be fine since it could be a way that ultimately the winning or not did not have much impact on how they go forward, what was important is they acted together. But this was not quite the case since they did show that they won. But I feel like them winning should have also been the end to a few character arcs that would not be bad to see. What was it like to beat his brother? How did it feel for her team to beat the team her father coached, and how would that affect the relationship? How about their sponsor? Fulfilling childhood promise? For the end of winning, I kind of feel these would be important.

Not everyone is going to share my opinion, I am not the main demographic for this sort of show. But I think there was a bit that could be improved past some not so bad races, and I would say some reasonably effective if somewhat overused audio cues to pass excitement to the audience. I give a rating of Not really good (4/10), not a waste of time, but I would not call it good.

Last edited by DuskyPredator on Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:19 am Reply with quote
No, you pretty much covered it. I would have liked to seen all that resolution stuff too, and feel cheated because they had more than enough time to do it, at leisure, but they wasted it on the idol boys visiting them, and flashbacks, and training montages, for crying out loud. A training montage in the final episode! I can't even...
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:37 am Reply with quote
While I overall enjoyed the series, the final episode was indeed pretty terrible and the direction was confusing. I briefly thought they'd actually do a 13th episode, either to cover the whole final match or to go more into detail in Riku's race against Tomoe. I mean, they stretched the rest of the episode so darn long with the bleeping training montage and the flashbacks and the Gal-Stan visiting it was... very stupid? It's like they were trying to cut on costs by making the actual race very short, it lasted less than half the episode! And I really wanted to get some closure with Tomoe-Kuga and Tomoe-Riku. I simply can't fathom what Madhouse was thinking when they did this episode.

At least I'm glad we didn't see too much of the whole Takeru-Riku-Nana "promise", that's the aspect of the show I found weakest because their past together came out of nowhere and it always felt very farfetched that only Takeru remembered. I'm also glad there was no closure with Nana and her father because the King-Princess thing seemed incredibly stupid from the start

Rated it Decent, I did like how they developed some of the characters' relationships -I particularly liked Kuga's introduction episode and his conflict with Kohinata- and I'll admit I'm weak to the cheap fujoshi pandering (everything was really [expletive] gay), but that ending was just terrible
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:44 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
At least I'm glad we didn't see too much of the whole Takeru-Riku-Nana "promise", that's the aspect of the show I found weakest because their past together came out of nowhere and it always felt very farfetched that only Takeru remembered. I'm also glad there was no closure with Nana and her father because the King-Princess thing seemed incredibly stupid from the start

Well my reasoning was that it having no part in the final episode means that it was pretty much pointless. Why include it in the first place if it comes out of nowhere and has no closure? It just feels so pointless that they knew each other at all as kids, they could have achieved the same thing with something in the present. and make it more relevant.

With her father they could have foreshadowed earlier on her relationship with him, and winning would be some part of showing him that her choice in a type of team was the correct one. Maybe feel like there was more urgency to needing to win or something.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4