• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: ERASED [2016-01-15]

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:30 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Come to think of it, that's the other main thing I'll take away from this series as far as fan reactions are concerned: I don't think I'll ever for the life of me understand why the reveal of Yashiro was a letdown to any extent, much less a massive one. I mean if the argument was that the scene itself was a little bit hammy, then sure, I can see where you're coming from...but at the simple fact that the killer wound up being the only person it could logically be? I'm still staggered by just how many people I saw complaining, "Why wasn't it someone we'd never even heard about?" Yes, let's make the reveal a complete ass-pull, a.k.a. the very definition of bad writing. Just don't get it at all.

The issue was that it was almost too obvious. Many thought it was a mystery (the genre) so when the show dropped hints so unsubtlely, it made them wish it wasn't him. I mean for goodness sake, a buttload of candy fell out of his glove compartment in a show involving a serial killer of children. Might as well have put a big neon sign with the words "child killer" and/or "pedophile". It was to the point where I thought they were just messing with us and it was the biggest red herring ever. Also most didn't want some random unintroduced character to be the murder either, as that violates the norms of the mystery genre, in addition to being an asspull. You could say "It was never meant to be a mystery." Well you coulda fooled us.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:15 am Reply with quote
MidoriUma wrote:
Let's see...

Stops the killer? Check.

Saves all his friends? Check.

Succeeds as a manga writer? Check.

Ends up with his soulmate? Check.

Looks like a good ending to me, not sure what everyone's whining about.

Crossing off a bunch of narrative check boxes is exactly the wrong way to look at this. It's about execution, not necessarily what the actual outcome is.

I'm still not sure how I feel about this show, to be honest. I want to like it, but Satoru's ability to predict exactly what was going to happen on the roof was sort of the last straw for me.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:38 am Reply with quote
WeNTuS wrote:
LordMoxy421 wrote:

3. This is definitely the part that bothered me the most thou. Ahem... KAYO ENDS UP WITH HIROMI!!!!!!!??? What in all thats holy! where did this come from! I mean REALLY, at this point it really seems to me that the writer or anime director just wants to wrap things up in time for the next episode, explanation be damned. One of the main attractions and charms of this show for me was to see the relationship between Kayo and Satoru develop, so to just see her end up with a side character other than Satoru just like that bothers me, it just throws all of the beautiful development between Kayo and Satoru out the window. Don't get me wrong, I am completely happy to see her safe, sound, and happy but why not be that way with Satoru!? Of course in the context of this new story line in which she is still alive, Satoru has been in a coma for 15 years so the opportunity for a continual development of Satoru and Kayo's relationship is impossible, but wouldnt it have been more consistent and emotionally satisfying to have Kayo in conjunction with Satoru's mom be the one that has been caring for Satrou throughout his dormant period? This would of been more faithful to the bond between Kayo and Satoru that the show spent the majority of its time building. Unfortunately it seems that Satoru was right, "heroes always get the short end of the stick".

You're out of this world if you think girl will waste 15 years of her life to wait for the person which may never come out of coma. Some people cannot even wait few months before betraying their soulmates.

I think you misunderstand. I think what the person above was saying is that Kayo could be taking care of Satoru because he saved her life. I felt a bit "cold" of her, seeing as she had nothing to live for (her life was a living hell) and Satoru gave her a reason to live and sparked life back into her. I have to agree with LordMoxy421 and say that that scenario could have been more true to the story then the current one.

I just think they wanted to make Airi fit into the story somehow, other wise she is just forgotten. It felt like a cheap plot device to keep Airi relevant. Otherwise, all she did was irreverent.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:09 am Reply with quote
She was eleven years old. His mother was taking care of him. There's nothing for her to do to repay him, besides live the life he made possible for her, instead of sacrificing it all over again as handmaiden to his comatose body. She was neither ungrateful nor betraying him by going ahead and growing up on her own instead of glued to his bedside.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:23 am Reply with quote
^This very much. In fact, it's extremely likely that she ended marrying Hiromi because they both spent a lot of time visiting Satoru or keeping each other company in grief. What we saw in the series was their developing friendship, we never saw any indications about Satoru having romantic feelings for her. And even if he did, it's not her obligation to reciprocate just because he saved her. An eleven-year-old should not be expected to take care and look after a comatose person, and it's stupid to call her "ungrateful" for that.
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:43 pm Reply with quote
After a stellar start, I'd have to agree this series was underwhelming. If it wasn't a mystery, it was a character drama, and most of the characters ended up coming across as tangential.

Speaking of tangents, while I realize it's beside the point, am I the only one who thought Hiromi was romantically interested in Satoru? There was that scene in which Satoru walks Hiromi home and then Hiromi takes his hand and it's rather conspicuous, especially given Satoru's perplexed reaction. Given the framing, I was under the impression that we were meant to wonder about that scene and that it would be referenced later. /missedopportunities

Additionally, what was with that scene where Kenya (or maybe it was his evil twin?) and Yashiro were shown talking early on. I suppose Kenya was the show's biggest red herring, but as with most of the thriller elements of the show, it felt pretty unremarkable.

Final thought: the real main character of the "The Town Where Only I Don't Exist" was Airi. Talk about erased.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Alexis.Anagram wrote:
Speaking of tangents, while I realize it's beside the point, am I the only one who thought Hiromi was romantically interested in Satoru? There was that scene in which Satoru walks Hiromi home and then Hiromi takes his hand and it's rather conspicuous, especially given Satoru's perplexed reaction. Given the framing, I was under the impression that we were meant to wonder about that scene and that it would be referenced later. /missedopportunities

You're not the only one! That scene made me wonder if there was going to be more to Hiromi's girlishness, but clearly it was not to be. I'm not sure if it's a missed opportunity though, since I'm not sure how well it would have fit in to the overall story.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Alexis.Anagram wrote:
Additionally, what was with that scene where Kenya (or maybe it was his evil twin?) and Yashiro were shown talking early on.

I think they were arranging for Yashiro to keep Satoru and Kayo after school so the kids could set up the surprise party.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 30 of 30