• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dimension W

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:48 am Reply with quote
From Gabriella's review;

Quote:
I hope that the angle is “Mira develops an adolescent crush on her older caretaker” and not setup for an actual romance. (Coincidentally, there was a similar issue in another show by the same director, Bunny Drop.)

Not only does Rin not appear as an adolescent in the anime, spoiler[the romance isn't due to the director - it's canon from the manga].

That being said, I enjoyed the episode and your review... though I wonder what a rich kid's grandaughter is doing playing down in the (almost-but-not-quite) slum(ish) area?
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:33 am Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:

That being said, I enjoyed the episode and your review... though I wonder what a rich kid's grandaughter is doing playing down in the (almost-but-not-quite) slum(ish) area?

Since the anime appears to be skipping the kids stories you will have to read the manga to get the answer to that question. the short answer is that this world has serious issues with regards to the education and rearing of wealthy children and these kids desperately need an outlet.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:39 am Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:

Mira is not just any robot. Upon inspection they can find out it was a robot made by Yurizaki himself, and obviously New Tesla would have means to know this since the engineer (I always forget his name) dug this up pretty quickly, plus she has footage video of New Tesla killing Yurizaki's daughter and wife, all the more reason for them to dispose of Kyouma and the rest. Her coil has never been in plain sight except when naked, the only thing that might visually tell right away she is a robot are her extra ears, which she explains they are actually some sort of hairpins; and the tail, which not necessarily says anything, could as well be an accesory. Kyouma did not realize she could be a robot until she performed some superhuman feats.

I don't remember all that accurately, but it is for sure that they talked about the detection of coil powered machines, in there they should have explained why Mira being detected is not actually a danger. And in any case, she's been living with Dr. Yurizaki just fine, it must mean the Dr. designed herself especially to decieve New Tesla or it just doesn't matter, although it would be a bit of a plothole if so since it rises other problems, for the time being it just works.

Right, but it's not like it would be a big deal if the kid said anything about Mira. They'd just say that a robot help them, why would NT immediately jump to the conclusion that the robot was made by the scientist, they don't even know she exist. Same with hiding the fact that she's a robot, why would it be a problem if the shopkeeper saw her carrying everything (plus I'm pretty sure she'll meet more than one person between the shop and the gas station).
Valhern

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:04 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Right, but it's not like it would be a big deal if the kid said anything about Mira. They'd just say that a robot help them, why would NT immediately jump to the conclusion that the robot was made by the scientist, they don't even know she exist. Same with hiding the fact that she's a robot, why would it be a problem if the shopkeeper saw her carrying everything (plus I'm pretty sure she'll meet more than one person between the shop and the gas station).

As they called in for Kyouma to testify about the incident, they would likely call Mira to testify too, and there would be danger of her footage or construction being inspected, had they found Mira in the scene, they would have taken her away and inspect her, either for reparation or checking her recordings of the incidents, and there she would be found out.

About the shop scene, it's most likely a joke, but actually, there could be a problem if someone finds such a elaborated robot, in fact, Kyouma was surprised when he saw Mira using her super strenght, that gave it away she was a robot.

More or less, it's for convenience sake, it just works, even if there is room for doubt.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:07 pm Reply with quote
And I don't think we've actually seen shown any other androids/robots other than the drone pigeons. (Though there is a guy indicated as knowing how to repair them.) That kinda says that they're scarce, and thus Mira by her very existence is likely to raise questions. Not the least of which would be "why would a coil hating dude be hanging around such a construct"?

Even if they were common, the awkward question might come up. Easier all around to keep Mira's nature obscured except to trusted allies.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I also think that robot's of Mira's caliber, or something close to her caliber, are very rare. I suspect that they're the purview of only the very rich or influential. Some scrub Collector definitely shouldn't have one. Thus, if NT finds out that someone like Kyouma had a robot like that around him, they would definitely investigate the matter, and that would bring everything to light.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I was expecting yakety sax to start playing at some point and Scooby Doo and the gang to show up.

Otherwise standard episode, 90% of Mira scene are there for fan service, coil are still unexplained magical McGuffin that do whatever the plot need them to do at this moment. Still fun but nothing noteworthy. This is 24 episode right?
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
When the last numbered coil went wild, it created some sort of fractal effect of time and space.

Well, I could be misremembering, but I don't think the haywire coil in episode 02 was a Numbers coil? Loser retrieved the Numbers from the statue, and what set off the disaster was the museum owner fiddling with the damaged illegal coils of his robot twins. I was under the assumption that stuff like that was what happens with regular coils that are damaged and aren't properly disposed of, while Numbers going off the rails result in larger scale disruptions in time-space.

Otherwise, I think this was probably my favorite episode so far. I have a thing for ghost stories and horror aesthetic in general, so the direction aping classic haunted house cliches was really fun. Probably the most interesting scene to me was the bit with Mira's flashback to her "Father" and him teaching her how to imagine and intuit. Most of Mira's motivation is a mystery even to her, and I think the crux of this show's success (for me at least) will hinge on how her character is handled moving forward.

Speaking of...yeah, the focus on Mira's uh, mechanisms, was distracting. Maybe with the shower scene they were playing at more horror movie tropes but I could very much have done without it. (Also am I imagining it or has her chest grown inbetween episodes?)

Last edited by lossthief on Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I disagree that the actual ep made more sense than your review of it. The episode made no sense. It was a mash up of all the most obvious, overused mystery tropes and cliches from centuries of bad fiction. All it needed was a detective to explain that the butler did it as a storm rages outside. And we might still get that next week! The Scooby Gang would have improved this episode! Or at least make it an obvious parody instead of playing it straight.

And talking about tropes, I hate the one where the naïve preternatural girl is afraid of (another type of) preternatural phenomena. Celty on Durarara is afraid of aliens. Mira in Dimension W is afraid of, of all things, ghosts. Isn't she moe and adorable? They kind of wrote themselves out of that one by explaining how her memory works in images so she naturally recalls things in a ghost-like way, but...it's still a robot afraid of ghosts to make her seem cute and endearing.

What worked for me in this episode was how it fleshed out Albert and his relationship with Kyoma. What didn't work was...everything else.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Not a good episode.Big issue is the handling of the exposition,which each episode so far consist of Kyouma sitting down with another character,while they deliver a bunch dry and boring expository dialogue telling you everything. Then Kyouma,who is just a black hole of charisma. He's still just lone wolf guy with dark past. The shower scene could've been shot in a tasteful manner,instead of being done with the in you faceservice.

Just a rushed episode overall.Try to do to much and was just a mess of exposition.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:06 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Speaking of...yeah, the focus on Mira's uh, mechanisms, was distracting. Maybe with the shower scene they were playing at more horror movie tropes but I could very much have done without it. (Also am I imagining it or has her chest grown inbetween episodes?)

I've heard that the anime skipped a manga chapter where she gets a boob-job, so yes (the boob-job is so her power-on button is hidden in the 'cleavage vagina').
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Ep 4 review wrote:
When the last numbered coil went wild, it created some sort of fractal effect of time and space

Good review and I have don't have much to add. The eerie effects of the W coils remind me of the "Hell's Gate" zone in Darker Than Black.

As for the fan service: on her worst day Pavlichenko is way hotter than Mira-the-Moe robot on hyper charge. But she seems to fit into this story pretty well. There just isn't enough room for another brooder so I think she is what she has to be.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:16 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:

I've heard that the anime skipped a manga chapter where she gets a boob-job, so yes (the boob-job is so her power-on button is hidden in the 'cleavage vagina').

If that's true, then it was a very good idea to skip it then. They could also have just removed the entire idea of cleavage vagina altogether while they were at it. But if I start going down that route I would just have them rewrite Mira altogether. Laughing
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:46 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I was expecting yakety sax to start playing at some point and Scooby Doo and the gang to show up.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that occurred to.
Valhern

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I particularly like this arc better animated, it was a bit harder for me to follow the manga's exposition of the incident, but somehow the infodump was clearer this time around, and like they said, so many things are happening together that you feel kinda lost.

Also, who the hell thought that writing "Jesus" as a subtitle was a good idea, Funimation?

killjoy_the wrote:

I don't recall anything like that, the mini arc that the anime has skipped (it could still be adapted, I don't think there is such a continuity break after this arc even if I haven't finished reading) isn't one focused in Mira. It could be that she appears naked sometime but that'd be it.

The only time I remember seeing her cleveage open like this is this time around, and honestly, I felt creeped out, not aroused, at all. Manga's version was slightly more surprising since she shows her chest already open from one page to the other and I thought she was skinning herself out or something and then realized it was her inner coil. So far, they've followed the manga in terms of fanservice, so it's most likely that Mira being trapped won't follow up to what one would expect.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 13