• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ANN Exclusive: Interview + ADV License Announcement

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. And apparently the man has good taste. Elfen Lied is one of my favorite ADV titles as well.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:05 pm Reply with quote
snl:
Quote:
Well, I must say this was a surprise (the aquisition of AMG).

I'm surprised ADV was allowed to announce that so casually. I hope they didn't overpay for it, but if they did, maybe they'd be willing to get Macross 7 and Zero next.
Cool I was almost beginning to wonder if they were losing it, by ditching FMP, but I guess I was mistaken.
speedfreek19

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Re: A!MG, im a big fan of the series myself, and while as far as the english version goes having a different voice cast for each of its incarnations is different, i just hope ADV do a bit better than what Media Blasters did, as far as t he main cast anyway.

Thats not to say MB were bad either, just that Eileen Steven's voice annoyed the heck outta me at times for Bell, but did a decent job overall. Urd wasnt too bad, and skuld, well i haven't gotten around to watching more of the dvds Razz

I'll have to go through who i know of in ADV and try and make my picks to see who could do what.
Espeon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:19 pm Reply with quote
It's good and bad news.. I so hoped ADV wouldnt get AMG! Just like Funimation getting Tenchi but we the watchers hope a good jobs, This is turning out like a mixed show. 3 different company's voicing one show.
chili-san

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm interested in Coyote Ragtime Show.

From what I've seen, the artwork at least is lovely, and the show has gotten good reveiws from people I know.
So many ADV titles I wanna see, so little time and money.
Karala

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Princess Tutu didn't do well? That's sad to hear, it's in my top 10 favourite series. Crying or Very sad
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I heard great things about Le Chevalier d'Eon. That I haven't watched it yet due to early licensing is in fact a boon, since ADV appears intent to release it as early as they can.

Hopefully they won't rush it through, though!

Does ADV pays big or something that encourage the site redesign? Or they are simply in at an opportune moment? While I think the three characters below the first don't look very interesting the pose that the purple-haired red-eyed girl has is awesome and well-fit for the size. I even thought she was going to replace the Elf Lady before I notice that it's an ad.

In any case, with that set of titles ADV is getting interesting again.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Yay!

You know, according to this site, ADV has licensed the Elfen Lied OAV. But I don't know when. If it was before the thinpack release of the series, then they could have at least been nice enough to include it in there. Well, I don't have it, but I don't think it's in there. Is it? If not, then they should have waited and dubbed it before spending money on the thinpacks. I want that box! The art's nice. But if it only has the series minus the OAV, then I probably won't buy it any time soon.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:16 pm Reply with quote
speedfreek19 wrote:
Re: A!MG, im a big fan of the series myself, and while as far as the english version goes having a different voice cast for each of its incarnations is different, i just hope ADV do a bit better than what Media Blasters did, as far as t he main cast anyway.

Thats not to say MB were bad either, just that Eileen Steven's voice annoyed the heck outta me at times for Bell, but did a decent job overall. Urd wasnt too bad, and skuld, well i haven't gotten around to watching more of the dvds Razz

I'll have to go through who i know of in ADV and try and make my picks to see who could do what.

I actually liked Eileen Steven better than Bridget Hoffman in the movie, and she is alot better than Juliet Cesario in the OVA.

Vibe Jones is great as Urd, she sounds alot sexier than Lanelle Markgraf or Melissa Williamson

As for Skuld, I'm not totally sure who's better, Pamela Weidner (OVA), Sherry Lynn (movie), Annice Moriarty (TV Season 1)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm just surprised they're trying to push Coyote Ragtime as hard as they are (what with the ANN site advertisement and everything) as opposed to Chevalier. It was a pretty good show in many respects (maybe a 7), but when you swear the characters are 'bad actors', it's hard to watch it. It was all so theatrical I absolutely could not watch it, overall it was a subpar show for me for how much I could enjoy it; fortunately, if they make the dub more realistic and less hoaky, it may actually turn into a good show though, I'm interested to see what they do here.

Maybe they're just not trying to push Chevalier as hard because they already know it'll be a hit. Rolling Eyes I guess that's not a terribly far fetched business plan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
indrik

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:14 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Maybe this would be bad for publicity--I certainly don't know much about marketing--but couldn't they at least put out a press release or some sort of announcement when they've got a quality show on their hands that *isn't* doing well?

If it were me, I'd call up my favorite reporter for my favorite anime magazine that also had a web presence (so that news could travel rapidly) and casually mention that a title wasn't doing so well. Either that, or tell the nebby woman in my lab who can't keep her big yap shut. Gossippy lady, internet, either way, all of a sudden everybody knows.

We need, like, Save Princess Tutu! t-shirts or something.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:44 pm Reply with quote
All I know is that if the rest of Coyote Ragtime is like that first episode, then I am officially sold! And its cool to see Luci Christian playing another evil character Twisted Evil (I haven't seen that since she played Mariko in Elfen Lied)
jaybug39

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Sigh, still can't find out how many copies of a title have been sold.

Good to hear about A!MG! I think ADV's audio portion is better than before. I think they have spent a buck or two improving their recording facilities.

Hope to hear soon about Mutineer's Moon, and another David Weber works. Ms. Haag would work wonderfully as Honor Harrington.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Karala wrote:
Princess Tutu didn't do well? That's sad to hear, it's in my top 10 favourite series. Crying or Very sad

Yup. In fact, Bailiff actually alluded to it in the interview:

"As for the hardest thing about this business, I'd have to say it's when everyone works so hard on a title and it doesn't perform. Princess Tutu is a prime example. That was a quality show that was a “hit” inside this company. I'm just glad that we were able to finish the series."

He's actually confirming what Zac's been saying--that it didn't do well and was in danger of not finishing. (The audio comentaries on one of the discs refered to it, too--I remember one of the actors mentioning how it had been about a year between the disc they were on at the time, and the disc they had done previously. That seems like a pretty large gap.) It's SO disappointing.

indrik wrote:
We need, like, Save Princess Tutu! t-shirts or something.

Actually, that's not a bad idea! It'd be nice if somehow we could get shirts like that on Cafepress and wear them to cons. Actually, I'd do them, but they'd probably...suck. Anime hyper *horrible with graphics programs*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Y'know, I saw the first ep of Coyote Ragtime Show and was immediately turned off when the goth/lolita/maid/robots descended from an airship and started blasting the bejeezus out of everyone and everything in sight. There was a mixed sense of viciousness and glee in the way it was depicted that was kind of revolting.

That said, I love the heck out of ADV and wish them the best of luck. This is just one title I won't be purchasing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4