• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Babymetal Album Is Japan's 1st to Crack U.S. Billboard's Top 40 in 53 Years

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Angel Investor wrote:
Tomibiki wrote:
I'm all for letting people like what they wanna like. People are allowed to have their own opinions about whatever music act/genre/trend/gimmick whatever the hell. That being said, I'm hoping this band dies before 2017. Megitsune was just about the only good song they've released, and they committed the cardinal sin of allowing Herman Li to write for them, not that I'm surprised as their brand of metal seems to be a perfect fit for one another. I'm hoping their careers continue this impassioned embrace all the way to the dumpster.

Megitsune's cool though, more of that kind of work.

So you wish for a group of teen girls to go bankrupt for doing something they love and that many others apparently enjoy? Only because you personally don't like their songs. That's pretty harsh.

Also, Herman Li did not write or arrange a single song on the album. He and Sam Totman are only featured as guests on the very first song, and none of the rest. I'm not a fan of this group either, but if their success makes you that mad... well, just take your own advice and let people enjoy what they want.

I'm not stopping anyone? I literally just said I'm totally cool with people expressing different views and opinions on stuff. I'm not saying anyone's taste in music is bad if they like BM, it just don't suit mine and I suspect/hope their gimmick will burn out by the end of the year. If people wanna groove on BM then I say let 'em.
koinosuke

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:33 pm Reply with quote
omiya wrote:
D00dleB0Y wrote:

The Billboard Top 200 is for EVERY genre. Hiromi Uehara's album failed to rank in the Billboard top 200.

Still, a number 1 album in a Billboard genre-specific chart by a Japanese artist is significant.

An earlier track by Hiromi Uehara inspired by western animation, "The Tom and Jerry Show":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HcKrd3K8_A

Hiromi is kind of an interesting case, too - she may be Japanese, but she's done a huge amount of her work and training abroad and gained a lot of her fame playing with American and other bands. She's not 100% based in Japan, and what sets her apart even more is that her songs, being lyric-less, aren't in Japanese. Much easier to reach an international audience that way.
That said, I absolutely love Hiromi and think she's one of the best in the genre. Can (and often do) listen to her all day.
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:21 pm Reply with quote
koinosuke wrote:
Hiromi is kind of an interesting case, too - she may be Japanese, but she's done a huge amount of her work and training abroad and gained a lot of her fame playing with American and other bands. She's not 100% based in Japan, and what sets her apart even more is that her songs, being lyric-less, aren't in Japanese. Much easier to reach an international audience that way.
That said, I absolutely love Hiromi and think she's one of the best in the genre. Can (and often do) listen to her all day.

I only found out about Hiromi Uehara through a piano duet with Akiko Yano (who did the music for Studio Ghibli's My Neighbours The Yamadas and voiced Ponyo's sisters plus some other anime theme songs/roles).
GDMaid Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:43 pm Reply with quote
They also did quite well in the more specific category charts:

US Billboard 200 39
US Hard Rock Albums (Billboard) 2
US Independent Albums (Billboard) 4
US Top Rock Albums (Billboard) 6
US World Albums (Billboard) 1

And they also have the highest charting ever in the UK for a Japanese band.

UK Albums (OCC) 15
UK Independent Albums (OCC) 5
UK Rock & Metal Albums (OCC) 2
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Maybe NOW Japanese music companies will begin marketing their stuff on American shores instead of focusing just on Japan and maybe Korea.
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:29 pm Reply with quote
The seriously beat out Utada? Wow... that's a shocker. Since "none of the three members knew what metal music was before the inception of the band" is rather shocking. I doubt they even write, arrange, produce their own lyrics/music anyways. Blah... sends a shiver down my spine.
varmintx

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Looks like they got the old Colbert bu...dammit, someone already said it.
MrBonk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:19 am Reply with quote
Tomibiki wrote:
I'm all for letting people like what they wanna like. People are allowed to have their own opinions about whatever music act/genre/trend/gimmick whatever the hell. That being said, I'm hoping this band dies before 2017. Megitsune was just about the only good song they've released, and they committed the cardinal sin of allowing Herman Li to write for them, not that I'm surprised as their brand of metal seems to be a perfect fit for one another. I'm hoping their careers continue this impassioned embrace all the way to the dumpster.

Kindly sir, fudge off. And if you don't like it. Don't listen to it. Take your moral holier than thou attitude and shove it where the sun doesn't shine.
Deacon Blues wrote:
The seriously beat out Utada? Wow... that's a shocker. Since "none of the three members knew what metal music was before the inception of the band" is rather shocking. I doubt they even write, arrange, produce their own lyrics/music anyways. Blah... sends a shiver down my spine.

As if most Popular musicians do all that these days? You are in for a rude awakening my friend if you believe that.

Besides, it's OBVIOUS from the outset the singers are just that. Singers and dancers.
If anyone ever believed otherwise they are stupid.
But then again, we live in this society where the focus is put so much just on the lead/vocalists of the band. Especially when the musical act is named after said individual.
That people give all the credit to just them. When it's obviously not.

Again, this band and the act name isn't just on the girls. They are the vocalists, nothing more nothing less.
Fatt_One

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:12 am Reply with quote
Deacon Blues wrote:

The singers are pretty disposable imo and aren't really a huge contribution overall. It's all about the lead guitarist, and he's a musical genius.

The band itself is fantastic, and the main reason I listen to them, the singers are very meh, they could be replaced and I wouldn't notice, but that's metal right? lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:18 am Reply with quote
Damn getting into the US Billboards top 40 most certainly is an amazing accomplishment for a Japanese band and from what I heard there new album is still selling well so who knows it might even crack into the top 10. Very Happy
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:16 am Reply with quote
MrBonk wrote:
Tomibiki wrote:

Kindly sir, fudge off. And if you don't like it. Don't listen to it. Take your moral holier than thou attitude and shove it where the sun doesn't shine.

Dude, trust me, I hate always being right as much as you hate reading.
Kamagor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:24 am Reply with quote
Glad to see the album do well as it's pretty solid. I don't think it's quite as gleefully fun as their first album, definitely a more matured effort, but there's some genuinely good songs and musically it's fantastic. Tale of the Destinies and The One make for a pretty incredible album ender, in particular with Destinies prog elements.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:28 am Reply with quote
Not gonna find any acts like this on Fallon.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:46 am Reply with quote
What helps Babymetal in the West is that Babymetal features something that typical j-pop idols are never about -- musicians. In this particular case, the musicians are still metal musicians, regardless of the presentation on stage. It's still metal that Westerners listen to.

N. Americans don't care as much for dancing and prancing, the meet 'n greets, the event tickets that other j-pop groups live or die on - every gimmick but the music. Those can't usually transcend borders, but music can easily transcend borders. At the end of the day, it comes down to the ears, not the eyes or shaking hands.

So, good job by the Babymetal musicians.

http://www.avclub.com/article/unraveling-fantasy-beginners-guide-japanese-idol-p-206896

• For example, in 2010, six out of the top 10 singles of the year belonged to Arashi. Or better yet, this: Arashi has had 39 No. 1 singles, putting them just one shy of doubling the Beatles’ American record. When considered closely, this logic-defying comparison reveals a core idol pop 101 lesson: It’s never about the music.

Babymetal, as the name suggests, is a group of idol tweens singing heavy metal songs. Similar to Momoiro Clover Z, Babymetal is the vision of their manager-producer, Kobametal, who—wait for it—loves metal music. As to be expected from a genre that favors fantasy over authenticity, the young girls who make up Babymetal had never listened to metal music before joining the band, though that didn’t stop Metallica from wanting to collaborate with them.

The coupling of the disparate worlds of kawaii and metal makes for a unique visual that is perfect fodder for the derisive and anonymous world of YouTube commentary. But a much more legitimate reason to stare, jaw-dropped, at this video is because it features musicians—an idol pop first.

The presence of musicians in the “Gimme Chocolate!!” video is a welcome development to the world of modern idol pop, but even more promising is Babymetal’s stellar debut album. The album is made up of complex metal music constructed by some of Japan’s leading underground rockers, who deserve equal, if not more, credit than the singers and production team for this album’s success.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:10 am Reply with quote
Coolness! Only one more month to go and I'm off to their concert. I just hope someone won't step on m foot. Or knock me unconscious I guess this is my first "heavy metal" concert.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3