• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World-

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:25 am Reply with quote
Wow, Re:Zero impresses me again! I didn't know it was possible but they made a "faceplant in boobs" scene cute instead of creepy and perverted! Now THAT takes some skillful writing! Razz
Morry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:12 am Reply with quote
Is it weird the entire whale battle felt like filler to me? It was a necessary part of moving the plot forward but the Wilhelm stuff felt more distracting than meaningful and dragged it out imo. I also cringed at Rem's "sniff" line during the battle. It's not even that bad for cliches to me, but something about it just didn't sit right with me.
Ionicawa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:18 am Reply with quote
From the review:

Quote:
Also, I'm not entirely clear why Rem got dumped into the “not continuing because I'm too injured” category; sure, she exerted herself as much as anyone, but it didn't look like she took any major hits. Besides, even a somewhat hampered Rem is still a forced to be reckoned with. Or was Subaru just being overly protective, since he knows that all previous scenarios where Rem tangled with the Witch Cult resulted in her death?

It's quite simple, Rem exhausted her mana supply/gate thanks to this fight. Don't forget that she shot two enormous ice shards at the White Whale. I'm sure Subaru is being a bit protective here, but Felis also adviced against Rem coming along.

Good episode! I wonder if Subaru can get let go of his resentment of Julius, though. But it's good that he's getting more allies.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:27 am Reply with quote
Not only did Rem die the last three times, but she put herself in situations where she would almost certainly die. Granted their limited number made that both very easy and very likely anyways. I think it is for the best that someone so eager to sacrifice herself sits out the main battle, especially if she isn't in top condition like Ionicawa said
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:33 am Reply with quote
I found episode 21 absolutely fantastic. I was starting to loose faith in Re:Zero, but this last episode made me feel like all the shenanigans and eye rolling moments have been worth it. If the show has an ending that satisfies me, it should squeeze into my top 5 for the year.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:34 am Reply with quote
Ionicawa wrote:
It's quite simple, Rem exhausted her mana supply/gate thanks to this fight. Don't forget that she shot two enormous ice shards at the White Whale. I'm sure Subaru is being a bit protective here, but Felis also adviced against Rem coming along.

Oh, that makes a lot more sense. Would've been nice to see that made a little more explicit, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crystalblade13

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:35 am Reply with quote
Man it seems like the reviewer gives this show an oddly hard time. "Overwritten"? What was overwritten about it? I thought the wind-down was even better than the first half.

Are they just mad about how wilhealm acts towards his wife? It was said clearly that she didn't like sword fighting so he was doing her a favor.

I've been feeling this way ever since episode 15 got an A and the still good, but nowhere near as great episode 16 got an A+

Just my opinion guess
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:07 am Reply with quote
Kind of mixed on this episode. I liked the battle--it definitely pulled off some tricks I wasn't expecting--and I found it very funny that Subaru's response to the "oh shit" ending of last week was basically "Meh, I've seen worse", but overall this fight felt wordier to me than, say, the fight against the Bowel Slasher woman. Particularly when Crusch is rallying her men; if the Whale had been knocked aside and was recovering, then it'd make sense to give a pep talk during the lull. Just maybe not as the monster's barreling towards you at top speed. That said, the actual killing method was pretty clever, as was that neat icicle-transportation trick.

I really cringed hard at Wilhem's flashbacks though. I'm pretty tired of seeing otherwise badass women in fiction getting demoted by their male love interest so he can protect them from danger. I was hoping that Re:Zero would buck that particular trend, especially since Theresia apparently kept her title as Master Swordsman, but what we got just feels pretty bog-standard. Oh well. Crusch's attitude towards Subaru partially made up for that, and it's nice to see at least one female character who actually honestly respects their male counterpart, and not in the "I'm saying I respect you to hide that I actually love you" kind of way.

Having said all that, I couldn't shake this feeling that the episode was stretching itself on purpose in order to make sure certain emotional beats landed at specific times. That's probably why this episode felt unusually wordy to me.

And I have to admit, back when episode 19 hit, I was curious why Julius wasn't involved. It felt a little cheap to me to not have Subaru resolve his long-standing issues with Julius (arguably what got him into this mess in the first place), and yet have him declare he'd start over as a new man. I'm looking forward to seeing how Subaru deals with his personal demons this time around, especially since Rem, arguably his most calming influence, is now out of the picture.

Crystalblade13 wrote:
Are they just mad about how wilhealm acts towards his wife? It was said clearly that she didn't like sword fighting so he was doing her a favor.

Wait, when? I only remember her asking if he liked flowers, and why he fought. I don't think we ever got her personal views on fighting.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:14 am Reply with quote
Don't really have particularly strong feelings about this episode. Still pretty skeptical of how 'new Subaru' and the Subaru-Rem relationship's being presented, but it was a fun episode on the whole anyway, and I'm pleased to see Subaru doesn't seem to have grown up overnight after all, considering his reaction to Julius.

Bit confused about Wilhem's past. If he defeated and then married Theresia in order for her to give up the sword/fighting, how did she end up fighting the whale? Are we to infer that he was less than successful in getting her to stop fighting?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:18 am Reply with quote
@whiskeyii I think she was initially disinterested in sword fighting despite her talent for it, but I think it was in the last episode's flashbacks that she said she fought to protect him, and I suspect that she took up the sword again to protect if not him then at least someone or something.

@NeverConvex I believe your inference was correct. And I think despite defeating her in a sword fight, Theresia always seemed and likely was the more talented of the two, so if a strong enough enemy came, like say the Whale, she would need to be the one fighting especially if Wilhelm was in danger of getting killed again.
Crystalblade13

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:25 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:

I

Crystalblade13 wrote:

Wait, when? I only remember her asking if he liked flowers, and why he fought. I don't think we ever got her personal views on fighting.

Episode 19, before the whale battle, whilhealm to Subaru:

"My wife loved flowers, she never wanted to wield a sword, but the sword loved her more than anyone".
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:39 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Bit confused about Wilhem's past. If he defeated and then married Theresia in order for her to give up the sword/fighting, how did she end up fighting the whale? Are we to infer that he was less than successful in getting her to stop fighting?

If I talk about it would be a spoiler, but you can infer that Theresia came into a situation where she had to take up the sword again which involved the White Whale subjugation 15 years ago and Wilhelm wasn't around at the time.
Elric_Edward

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:50 am Reply with quote
NO SEXISM OR CHAVINISM

SHE DOESNT LIKE SWORDFIGHTING SHE SAID SO HERSELF. HE WAS HELPING A SISTER OUT

[Edit: Next time you post, don't use all caps. Doesn't matter how upset you are; that's considered rude. - Key]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:50 am Reply with quote
I wonder what they plan to do with that carcass. Is White Whale edible?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:53 am Reply with quote
If wilhelm had forced his wife to give up the sword just so he could protect her because he's manly, then yes I could see that as being chauvinistic. however, she never wanted to fight in the first place, she only fought because she was gifted with a talent for fighting, she was interested in flowers over swords. Wilhelm on the other hand felt a burning need to fight as he felt powerless to defend those he cared about before, and now his motivation to get stronger is so that he can free his wife so she could do as she choose.

There's a big difference in forcing a woman to be weaker for the sake of a man's ego, and becoming stronger than the woman so she's free to choose what she wants to do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 55 of 73