• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japanese Government Enlists Pirate Hunter to Track Down Illegal Streams, Downloads

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ponyclone

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:17 pm Reply with quote
kanjineogeo wrote:
ponyclone wrote:
when obama or clinton launch TPP, USA rules will apply to the japan, so i think it's a temporary try from them.

I thought Hillary Clinton opposed the TPP.

Did she changed her mind again?

they can say anything, but result is the same, remember obama/iraq
kanjineogeo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:26 pm Reply with quote
ponyclone wrote:

they can say anything, but result is the same, remember obama/iraq

So. We should not vote for her if she supported it and thats gonna be the biggest reasons why Hillary will destroy America. She so untrustworthy.

#BernieorBust

Last edited by kanjineogeo on Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:39 pm; edited 3 times in total
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Brent Allison wrote:
You sound like a fun, laid-back fellow who would be great at parties and wouldn't put anyone on edge. If you're coming to Anime Expo, we should totally hang out, brah.

You'd be surprised, I'm one of the nicest people you'll ever meet, and although I'm not the life of the ball, friends and acquaintances have thrown parties for me in the past unexpectedly and with warm-hearted sincerity. Separate from that though, as an artist I don't stand idly by when I see people's intellectual rights being broken. To be fair, I try to contact the channel owners first to let them know (some are just misinformed), and usually only report them if they're mean-spirited and refuse to take action.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Sure Japan, instead of offering competitive options to piracy, go ahead and take down the streaming sites, you'll spend twice as much money doing that than what they take to get rebuilt. Honestly, if they didn't waste so much money trying to fight piracy with fire instead and used it to cater to the market that uses those sites, maybe their yearly reports of suppose "losses from piracy" wouldn't be so high.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
If that isn't bad enough they could do a Steam for anime and have a leg up on the competition so early that when they see it, the suits would pee and crap their pants in awe.
I always see lots people calling for "Steam for Anime" as a way to reach the anti-industry/pro-piracy viewers, but they never explain how this theoretical service would overcome a number of obstacles:

1) None of the Steam for Anime advocates are willing to pay a per-episode price that comes anywhere close to what companies get from disc sales. Heck, some of them think it should be "pay a monthly subscription, download all you want" model, which devalues the product to the point of nothingness. Not to mention the very real fears that those paid episodes will wind up on download sites in short order once they're released, because OF COURSE any kind of security or DRM is inevitably nefariously evil and completely ineffective.

2) People who're used to downloading stuff for free aren't about to turn on a dime and start paying for downloads.

3) "Moving the goalposts" -- even if paid anime downloads were offered at a price that both viewers and industry found palatable, viewers would still find things to complain about in terms of font styles, subtitle colors, typesetting, localization choices, etc. Whereas with digital download services for games, music, and US movies/TV episodes, what you get from the legal services is essentially the same as what you'd get when pirating.

4) "Unwarranted licensee resentment" -- people who already harbor resentment against Funi/CR/etc. for getting a cut of revenues as "middlemen" are going to transfer those same unfounded grievances to "Steam for Anime." Curiously, these same people have no trouble giving bootleg streaming sites, which really belies their crocodile tears over "Oh, I refuse to watch legal streams or buy overseas discs because someone other than the Japanese studios get money from them" -- which really shows the futility of trying to bend over backwards to please these people by upending the business model and risking a cannibalization of already-scarce disc revenues.

CrowLia wrote:
Sure Japan, instead of offering competitive options to piracy
What would those "competitive" options look like? Paying people to watch stuff?

Last edited by Zalis116 on Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Good Luck, they are gonna need it.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Lord Dcast wrote:
Does anyone know how bad the TPP is? Anyone? Has anyone been following the horrible effects it could cause?

There was an AMA on Reddit awhile back where a legal attorney(or something like that, forgot their official legal title) talked about it, and it sounds like it's one of those things where the wording is a little ambiguous, so the TPP could get bad, depending on far companies try and push it. Fan art, fan fiction, and all youtube reviews that use anime footage could be considered illegal. Not to mention it could destroy generic brand drugs and lend to less regulation of the food industry. It gives companies power to sue the government if they try to pass a regulation that would hurt the companies profits. There are some countries in Europe that have something similar to the TPP and a few companies have successfully sued the government for loss of profits.

Interestingly, the video where I got that from was from a channel that was dedicated to stopping the TPP, but after it was agreed upon by all the nations involved, that channel mysterious disappeared off Youtube and the URL now links to "Not a valid user" page.

The TPP still hasn't been ratified in the US yet, but it's pretty much a sure thing at this point. It's being pushed to be voted for as quickly as possible, to as little fanfare as possible so the internet doesn't get wind of it. Since the internet has such a short attention span, everyone seems to have forgotten about it already, sadly. Congress wants it passed before people start remembering how bad it is. I believe last thing I read was that it's up for ratification early next year.
pikkuhukka

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:04 pm Reply with quote
i do subscribe to CR and netflix and there is some decent anime there, but its far cry from well, all of it

this said, should they seriously try to eliminate torrent sites like nyaa and effectively block us from actually getting the anime we want AND not giving a legit way to get it by paying, i would pay for the shows to be able to dl them digitally in a heartbeat, theyre just stabbing themselves in the foot
fideldesu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Good luck on catching the Jack Sparrow. Jack Sparrow never dies.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Japan's saying when it comes to Piracy is basically "Pirates with my Anime! we'll see that they all hang for crimes against humanity" and the way they choose to fix things most certainly isn't making things better. Rolling Eyes
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:09 am Reply with quote
Don't forget that Hollywood treated the Internet as a threat for a long while. Heck, they treated TV as a threat for thirty years. What's needed is for someone to take the plunge and get massive cash back, and soon, that'll become the industry standard. Of course, who's going to take the plunge, and the circumstances needed for someone to try, is a different matter. As long as the otaku market provides these companies with a stable source of profits, the model's not going to change. They're not so much interested in expanding themselves as they are holding on to whatever they already have.

Lord Dcast wrote:
I hope this doesn't target Youtube specifically. Fair use law applies to Youtube, as it is an American website. Regardless of the footage's country of origin or the uploader's nationality, it follows American copyright law.

Different countries can have different rules though, and YouTube accounts for that. I don't know how strong the reach of this new organization is, but I'm guessing that they would only have the power to block those videos from Japan, especially if they conflict with fair-use rules of other countries. That's how YouTube in China and Germany are like. (Well, I find a lot of videos seem to be blocked in Germany and only Germany, and I don't really know why.)
Amara Tenoh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:32 am Reply with quote
Brent Allison wrote:
Kikaioh wrote:
As far as episode uploads being taken down on YouTube, that's a very real thing. I know, because I've reported channels on YT before to the publishing companies, and seen them taken down entirely as a result (fairly quickly at that).

You sound like a fun, laid-back fellow who would be great at parties and wouldn't put anyone on edge. If you're coming to Anime Expo, we should totally hang out, brah.

Someone sure sounds salty. You don't need to rag on the guy for using the report system for it's intended purpose. His morals are different from yours, deal with it.
huyhn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:54 am Reply with quote
Another anti-piracy attempt...not against the idea of "Stream for Anime" though with CR's model of monthly sub, it devalues to point buying 1 DVD gives better support.

If they really want to reduce piracy for bootlegs then work with international distributors and reduce the cost of importing DVDs/Blu-rays for countries that may not have publishers or copyright/government being an issue for certain content(such as too violent or it showed a religious symbol).

Anime may not be as big as an industry internationally as compared to japan but placing the blame on piracy hurting the international when they've hardly offered options for consumers is just ridiculous.
TCJJ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:13 am Reply with quote
I'm all for legal methods of obtaining these shows, but if something isn't licensed here and therefore can't be bought or streamed, then I'm going to pirate it because there isn't any other way to get ahold of it.

We need to be thinking about how to give more people access to more content, and making that access more convenient than pirating (and better - if I can only get a brand new show on DVD or watch it in standard definition on TV, then I'm going to download an HD version instead). No one seems to learn that trying to take away avenues to get this stuff only makes it worse, because it's not a solution. Pirating exists because it is convenient.
Actar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:24 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
The internet has been a wild west, but with enough money, resources and cooperation from internet services and content platforms, it's only a matter of time before online policing/hunting groups become more effective at combating piracy.

This is why we can never progress. Combating piracy will never solve anything. We should change how piracy is perceived and take advantage of piracy to make money. The very nature of digital distribution goes against traditional demand and supply economics and it cannot be marketed the same way. The unlimited supply and potential for reproduction puts everything into question. It can't be "stolen" as it doesn't deprive someone of a view, it can be "shared" so people who don't pay a single sent for it can still watch it, it can't be "refunded" so people can get back their money after they've seen it, etc...

I personally believe that the entire system is horrendously flawed and we should aim for change as opposed to more enforcement. Do people against piracy actually consider these things or are they just "I hate it because it's illegal", fullstop?

Speaking of which, there's a question that I've always wondered about but never got the answer to. Do anime producers get a cut of the merchandise sales?

Last edited by Actar on Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:37 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6