• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Days (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:50 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:

As for Tsukamoto being "bullied", believe me, that's nothing compared to what i want to do to him every time i see his clueless face...at this point i'm more or less hate-watching this show, if it wasn't for some of the senpai i've kinda grown attached to, i'd have dropped this long ago.

Pretty much. While Lauren seems to see Tsukamoto as the saving grace of the show, for me he's its biggest burden. Because the writers can't figure out a logical way to keep him relevant to the games while also being an extreme underdog, they ask us to do giant leaps of faith to justify his presence in the field. Like this week, with the 1st years asking him to explain the differences with the 3rd years since he's experienced them first hand, even though his pointless running around has cost the team two goals.

That coach is a total hack, it's a wonder this team has ever gotten anywhere. I mean, we're supposed to think he's so wise because he had a guy with absolutely no soccer ability into the man roster for half of their tournament matches, and only after failing all of those spectacularly does he think of (indirectly) teaching that completely useless player that maybe he should be learning to do other stuff apart from running? By saying that he recognizes he set Seiseki up for failure by putting him in there for the In-High. Ugh, it's all so stupid. And we don't even get to see Mizuki in his glory, we're stuck with St. Tsukushi realizing for the billionth time that he's really bleeping useless. It'd honestly do everyone some good to put Tsukushi in the cheerleading team instead of having him drag the team down on the field
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Episode 15

I think we were all rooting for Shiba and his rope. Twisted Evil

I like Haibara. More of him please.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:41 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Episode 15

I think we were all rooting for Shiba and his rope. Twisted Evil

I like Haibara. More of him please.

Rather than the rope, when Tsukushi was saying he couldn't fight his team members and steal the spot of someone who's worked much harder and is way more talented, I was like "YES! Quit! Quit the team! They're better off without you!". I'll be very upset if Ooshiba gets completely sidelined by Tsukamoto in the next tournament

I also really liked Haibara, especially when he was made the babysitter for the loser first years. Amazing that all the senpais are such endearing characters while the protagonist becomes more insufferable every week. Take him off the team, hackass coach!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:08 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Amazing that all the senpais are such endearing characters while the protagonist becomes more insufferable every week.

Like shorty punching him in the face? Endearing.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:43 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't necessarily say the team was better off without him, but unless and until someone (like you know, the coach?) takes the time to actually teach him something, the team is better off with him on the bench cheering and inspiring them with his work ethic or whatever. He's hardly at the level that he can significantly improve on his own, the way more experienced players can. So it's really frustrating to watch him flail on his own, pretty much abandoned by the coach and even the teammates who say they like and respect him. oO

I had the same frustrations at the beginning of Ace of Diamond, but at least Sawamura knew how to throw the ball over the plate. Kei got more instruction on how to kick a soccer ball in one episode of Kiss Him, Not Me than Tsukushi's gotten in 15 episodes.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:09 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I wouldn't necessarily say the team was better off without him, but unless and until someone (like you know, the coach?) takes the time to actually teach him something, the team is better off with him on the bench cheering and inspiring them with his work ethic or whatever. He's hardly at the level that he can significantly improve on his own, the way more experienced players can. So it's really frustrating to watch him flail on his own, pretty much abandoned by the coach and even the teammates who say they like and respect him. oO

I had the same frustrations at the beginning of Ace of Diamond, but at least Sawamura knew how to throw the ball over the plate. Kei got more instruction on how to kick a soccer ball in one episode of Kiss Him, Not Me than Tsukushi's gotten in 15 episodes.

Well, to be fair, we've barely seen any kind of training (that wasn't running...) in this show, so i wouldn't be surprised if the other guys just woke up one day and were magically able to play soccer. Even this "training camp" seems to basically consist of regular matches. I bet that "coach" is simply to lazy to think of any kind of actual training schedule... Laughing

On the positive side, i liked that Tsukamoto was struggling with the concept of becoming a regular meaning "taking the spot away from someone else". That's something you usually never see in sports anime where everybody is expected to be naturally competitive. I definitely agree with CrowLia though, that i hope Tsukamoto won't be able to just grab Ooshiba's position for some stupid reason like a injury...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 18

Merida wrote:
...i hope Tsukamoto won't be able to just grab Ooshiba's position for some stupid reason like a injury...

Nope, he grabs Kazama's place! LOL!

Well at least the refs apparently did more than throw cards for shirt stripping. I also heard a whistle before Tsukushi kicked his goal, but I guess it wasn't disqualified? I think Kazama was illegally too close to the field? Kush-ball almost got a yellow just for standing with the other team, so who knows.

Drowning seems to be the theme of this season. This is what, the 4th series to use it? And not one, but two drowning characters!
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:22 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Episode 18

Merida wrote:
...i hope Tsukamoto won't be able to just grab Ooshiba's position for some stupid reason like a injury...

Nope, he grabs Kazama's place! LOL!

If their goalie should ever get injured, he'll probably replace him as well. Because Tsukamoto is just that awesome...

Gina Szanboti wrote:

Well at least the refs apparently did more than throw cards for shirt stripping

That was a crime! I wanted to see him strip some more...in fact, silly stuff like this or that ever-sparkling guy commenting from the stands is what still keeps me watching at this point (and Mizuki of course).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:16 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I keep forgetting to mention Captain Sparkles. What is his deal?? oO It's like he didn't have time to wash his hair after shooting Nanbaka or something.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:30 am Reply with quote
I just want to give Tsukamoto a big high-5 after that score from episode 18. Proud of the kid for coming so far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:32 am Reply with quote
Honestly when Kimishita was saying "I don't know how to call this feeling I have [for Mizuki]" I got an instant flashback to Yuri on Ice Laughing And here I thought Kazama was the resident gay bro. It's really appalling that this show somehow manages to build a very likeable supporting cast (Mizuki is the light of my life, but Kimishita, Ooshiba and Haibara have grown on me) and yet continue to be terrible because it just has to give all the glory to a protagonist that doesn't seem to have earned his spot. I didn't comment on the last two episodes but the whole "Seiseki is now invincible because Tsukushi is getting the rebounds" felt super stupid. You can definitely have a main character that is not the team's ace and manages to be very relevant to the game -Kuroko did it great- but they have to earn it and Tsukushi suddenly becoming this ultimate secret weapon when he can barely kick the ball is terribly annoying.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:13 am Reply with quote
So now at least we know why Kazama is so enamoured with Tsukamoto, he's basically a younger, male version of his mother...

But thanks to that unnecessarily spoilerish preview, i'm not really looking forward to next week (granted, i haven't exactly been looking forward to this show in quite a while...). Rolling Eyes

On the bright side, Mizuki continues to be completely adorable.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:03 am Reply with quote
Episode 19

That was possibly the lamest episode of anything I've seen in a long time. It was like they knew they had to set up for next episode, but then had 15 minutes left to pad and weren't sure what to do with it. So they had their computer write some generic dialog with the emotional complexity of V'Ger and sprinkled in a lot of dead air and nonsense.

The only bright spot was the Sharingan ref. They didn't even seem to understand how crutches work.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Episode 20

Coach: [opens door, sees team in good spirits] Whew, dodged a bullet there! For a minute I thought I was actually going to have to do something coach-like.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:04 am Reply with quote
So instead of a second season, they did a 3 episode OVA (DAYS: Touin Gakuen-sen!) bundled with the manga. Someone finally got around to subbing it. >.>

And it's actually pretty good! Better than all 24 episodes of the series were. Lots of game play, decent animation (for this series), an actual off sides called!!, some outlandish plays, and even some lol humor that had me rolling. Tsukushi wasn't quite as annoying as usual (still too much everyone's amazed by him though). And the opposing team's keeper was a real cutie.

If you're not opposed to digging around for it, I recommend it if you made it through the series. It's a real shame they couldn't have done this with the series proper.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2