• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Horrible Girlfriends [2016-06-25]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:44 pm Reply with quote
AnimeFlyz wrote:
wow. i didn't know the mods were such nazis on this thread. Fine. If someone would please explain why Yuno is a good character, I will admit defeat.

You obviously are not paying attention to what I'm saying. It is not "this" thread that is the reason for your posts being edited or removed. Nor making you "admit defeat". It does not matter what thread your posts are in nor what point you are trying to make. We expect users to be civil when posting their opinions or having debates. Period. Not post rude & ignorant comments that insult other users. I cannot make the point clearer than that. So either you can be civil or you can continue to have posts removed or edited. End of discussion.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Quote:
Misaki Nakahara (Welcome to the NHK) Misaki has all the trappings of the earnest girl-next-door type. She manages to convince shut-in Tatsuhiro that she has a surefire way to cure him of his hikkokomori-(sic) lifestyle, when in reality she's co-dependent, manipulative, and a liar. She takes her unhealthy need for verification up a notch when Tatsuhiro doesn't return her feelings—so she tries to jump off a cliff.
I don't understand where Misaki is one of the "horrible girlfriends". Firstly she wasn't Satou's girlfriend to begin with, and second she didn' t try to, or actually kill him before going to that "Lover's Leap". Sadly disturbed yes, but not homicidally psychotic and horrible.

This. Unless they are going by the novel (or maybe the manga?) everyone in the show is messed up and has issues. By the end of the show everyone is in a better place than where they started from. At the end some of the people in the show become more honest about their problems. She is certainly nowhere in the same class as some of the yandere's on this list. Sure, not dating material especially at the height of her issues, but hardly one of the worst that anime has to offer. Maybe, she'd be on a top 25 or top 50 list but on a top 7?

Saeki (Flowers of Evil) on the other hand belongs on this list. She has no trauma or psychosis to explain her awfulness. If I recall the manga correctly she doesn't improve. Her capacity for reason is quite intact and it only aids in her cruelty. She could drive someone to self-destruction and not feel bad about it.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:04 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
Saeki (Flowers of Evil) on the other hand belongs on this list. She has no trauma or psychosis to explain her awfulness. If I recall the manga correctly she doesn't improve. Her capacity for reason is quite intact and it only aids in her cruelty. She could drive someone to self-destruction and not feel bad about it.

Even further it is the one thing that she feels good about.

I can think of a few others missing from the discussion.

What about Revy from Black Lagoon? That's one you'll take home to meet mom I'm sure.

And then there is Hell Girl, Ai Emma. Even dying doesn't cut her man any slack.

Maybe I'll upset some people with this one: Kokomo Rin from Kodomo no Jikan. You wan't trouble? You got trouble. The cuteness of the package only makes it worse.

Anyone up for some Kirino from Oreimo? Another one that was perfectly fine with screwing up her interest's life, and all his decent relationships with it.

She's a nice girl but not for the squeamish. Rin from Daughter's of Mnemosyne.

I'm sure I can think of others but that's all for now.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Conflating Misaki, who suffers from BPD, with serial killers and yandere tropes is the most downright insulting thing you could do.

I'm not one to be easily offended, nor am I one to miss the point of comedy. But this list wasn't funny, because you seem to genuinely, wholeheartedly believe that someone who is abused and suicidal is some wacky "CUH-RAZY" bad girlfriend trope that deserves to be on your clickbait listicle.

Calling a trauma survivor who fails at human interaction because she's never *had* a positive human interaction "crazy" is, frankly, an awful thing to do, and speaks volumes to how lowly you think of people who have mental disorders.

Thanks for perpetuating stereotypes.
Showsni

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:11 pm Reply with quote
The poll confuses me... it seems to include a bunch of cartoons that aren't currently airing, and also some that aren't American. Do I have to research each choice to find out whether it's currently airing and American myself before voting?

Whatever, I'll just go for the Simpsons. And choose to interpret the question as pertaining to the show in general rather than just the most recent episodes.
3ngag3

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:20 pm Reply with quote
We just recently had the episode of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure that introduced the girl arguably considered to be the first Yandere and is somehow not included on this list. How?
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
jr240483 wrote:

and as for the next poll. i am afraid that most of those western cartoons have already ended. the only ones currently running are those from the marvel franchises.

Ummmmm Adventure Time, American Dad, Archer, Family Guy, Mike Tyson Mysteries, Rick & Morty, Robot Chicken, RWBY, South Park, Steven Universe, The Amazing World of Gumball, The Powerpuff Girls (new one), The Simpsons, Venture Brothers, Uncle Grandpa, We Bare Bears, and the new Voltron are all still ongoing series. Might be done current seasons but they are still on going and have not ended. So yea.....a bit off base there.

not entirely off base. i know all of those series are ongoing. however the ones i mentioned are those that newer anime fans actually give a damn. others like archer and simpsons are usually meant for adults only and mainly interest older anime fans,especially those that grew up watching simpsons, while the new powerpuff girls , teen titans go and the new voltron are basically for kids in the 7-12 category.

the current generation anime fanbase who are usually from the shonen jump era(naruto,one piece,dbz) usually into US cartoons that are in their category. first was avatar, then its sequel korra. and before that were ben ten before that franchise had its swan song with omniverse, and of course CN mainly being the home for a majority of DC Comic based cartoons like young justice and justice league unlimited.

Now its all disney , all the time with disney xd showing ultimate spider man,avengers and guardians of the galaxy and the star wars spinoff series. especially considering that in some of those marvel series, mainly the avengers are being voiced by well known anime VAs,mainly miss bailey and her husband travis. sure having anime VAs wont make it popular but it does have some of the newer anime fans curious about those series. that was more or less proven when lowenthal was casted to do teenage ben tennison.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:20 am Reply with quote
Kurumi from "Date A Live" might be Alexis Tipton's most dangerous role.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:38 am Reply with quote
As a yandere fanboi, I'm of the mind they can't be horrible girlfriends. If a yandere waiifu goes into an unrecoverable mass slaughter double suicide mode, its because of an undeserving husbando.

That being said... on the topic of Yuno: there were moments when Yuki weaponized his yandere to carryout his own goals. She was clearly the dominant partner of their relationship, but he tried tapping into her violence prone traits and reward it with a compliment.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:15 am Reply with quote
Here's another thought I had: the entire harem of Haganai.

Yozora: Probably one of the most caustic female personalities in anime who isn't a tsundere. She is merciless to anyone she perceives to be a threat to her relationship with her love interest but has no idea on how to develop it with him. In spite of her intentions she has has a hard time being regarded as a girl.

Sena: Being an overachiever by itself is not an unattractive trait, but Sena takes it far enough that she has alienated absolutely every female in the whole school. Her constant posing and self-puffery goes beyond annoying and it is actually something of a relief when Yozora repeatedly humiliates her. She also has interest in the male lead but has no idea on how to proceed and pretends not to be interested. Instead she gets way too handsy with his little sister who avoids her as much as she can.

Rika: Talk about out there. She is actually kind of nice when she wants to be but is capable of extreme brutality. Her skit working as a hostile maid is magnificent and should not be missed. She is also more perverted than any girl I have seen in mainstream anime which by itself is not a minus but she would be just as likely to conduct a painful experiment on you as do something pleasurable. All in all she's the one I'd pick because her intelligence makes her quite attractive.

Yukimura: Some harems have a cross-dressing boy in them and there's nothing wrong with that even if the lead male isn't interested. His adulation and subservience goes to a pretty weird level but the real problem is that his gender confusion is so twisted that he's not even spoiler[aware he is a girl to begin with]. Plenty of kink possibilities but who would want to deal with all the issues.

Maria: Likes emitting wet farts in company and thinks its a riot. Pass.

Maria/Koboto: Loli and imuoto.

It's a great anime I think is consistently underrated.

Last edited by HaruhiToy on Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:19 am Reply with quote
Like many have pointed out, having Kotonoha in that list instead of Sekai has to be either trolling or having a complete lack of understading of the events that transpired during the series. I'm not saying Kotonoha would even be a good girlfriend, but have you guys really remember this story? You could argue that a person that snaps THAT bad at the end isn't girlfriend material, but a backstabbing, manipulative girl isn't certainly a good alternative either. I never understood how Sekai isn't regularly featured in any list that comprises truly evil, selfish characters. She doesn't get enough bad rep. If anything, she's worse and scarier than Kotonoha because everything that happens is triggered by her (and him, of course) and also how realistic her awfulness is as opposed to Kotonoha's over the top arc.

Mion/Shion, once again, forum users have pointed out to the Hinamizawa Syndrome, so I have little to add except that if you really wanted to mention those characters in the list, you might as well consider the whole series cast.

I'll give you Misaki,Misa, Kaede & Yuno, though NHK's girl is at least an interesting and realistic character.

Nanako Saeki...as far as I remember the anime (haven't read the manga), she also had to deal with one of the most insufferable boyfriends ever so it's kinda hard to consider her terrible considering what material she had to work with...then again, maybe this list also considers the manga and I'm clueless in that regard. And intrigued!
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:47 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Honestly to me Yuno was not the worst part of Future Diary. Well she was PART of the worst aspects, but she alone as a character was not the problem to me. It was the 100% ridiculous romance and reasoning behind it. I get Stockholm syndrome but Yuki was just so beyond that. I also think the weakest link was Yuki himself. I spent most of the series basically wishing one of the other diary users would actually kill him. He was just so utterly useless in most cases. I won't even go into that ending. my point being Yuno by herself as a character was not IMO what ruined the show.

I can see why you would say that, but I have always given Yuki a bye on that. He was the only one who had no choice in joining that murder game. What happens to a normal person, who finds themselves living in a world of psychotic killers who are actually out to kill you. Even Yuki's friends had dirty and bloody hands. I was actually happy when Yuno was using Minene's bombs to blow up the students at their school. Really, about the only decent person might have been Yuki's mom, but she didn't last long. When thinking about Yuki, I always wonder how I would have behaved in such a situation, it make you think.
Nina_Fortner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Someone told me about this list on ANN and after all these years of just visiting the site, I HAD to register and comment because this list is very weak in many ways...it's hard to take it seriously.

About the ones that you did mention:

Misa (DN) was indeed a psycopath but do you even remember her backstory? not even dwelling into it, she gave years of her life for Light's plan and accompanied him as long as she could (paying the price, of course). I wouldn't defend her as a person, but I don't believe she belongs in the same list as a stereotypical yandere or even a bad girlfriend.

Kotonoha was pushed to an abyss by people who called themselves her friends and knew exactly how naive and easily affected she could get. Again, I won't defend her last actions but it's laughable that Sekai is not on this list instead. Makoto was an awful boyfriend, but Sekai was an over the top version of the last example I'll mention at the end of this rant.

Shion was crazy because of the virus, and even in that condition risked everything she had to find Satoshi or get revenge for his demise. I don't know about you, but such a loyal person doesn't sound like a terrible girlfriend to me.

Of people you omitted and were easy targets:
What about Adolf's girlfriend in Terraformars? Ruining her whole relationship (with a man that you know has a lot of trust issues) because she likes to fool around.

But this last one has to be the worst. I often use this character as a warning sign: if someone likes her, I know that person does not share my notion of "reality": Mitsuki from Kiminozo has got to be one of the worst girlfriends (or person, period) that comes to mind: first she wasn't able to confess her feelings but instead of not acting upon them, she actively pushes her best friend into his crush's arms. Then she plays a part in him arriving late to a date, and we know how that tuened out. During those years Haruka is in a coma, Mitsuki takes care of him for selfish reasons and makes him a dependant mess....once Haruka wakes up from a coma, she acts like a total b*ch towards both of them (including slaping a person in such a condition) and even goes as far as sleep with another dude for no good reason...I could go on, but I'd better not cause remembering that series makes me mad.
Heishi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I vote Naru Narugesawa...
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:40 am Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
I vote Naru Narugesawa...

I agree 110%. I can't stand the misandric domestic abuse shlock that is Love Hina. Poor Keitaro should've called the cops on them a LONG time ago.

Also, a LOT of those cartoons in the poll are no longer running, and RWBY was listed twice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6