• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst Anime of Spring 2016

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:38 am Reply with quote
portgas wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:

The only reason I said I "shouldn't" is because the show is so gross (hateful toward women, hateful toward trans women, homophobic, and romanticizing incest/pederasty!) and awful (terrible writing, characterization, and animation) that it seemed like a foregone conclusion that it would be the worst, so even pointing it out seemed like shooting fish in a barrel. It wasn't because it didn't deserve it or anything.

Well, I don't think it's all you say it is but that will be a matter of opinion. Given the hate for this title at the onset, it's a shoo-in for worst, right? No effort.

Super Lovers is hardly the best of the season (That title goes to Tanaka-kun, Such a wonderful surprise. And it almost wasn't reviewed.) But it's not the worst either.

You do realize you're contradicting yourself. First you say the show's gross attitudes are a matter of opinion, but then you say "it's not the worst of the season". I've news for you, that's a matter of opinion, and way more subjective than whether it has shitty attitudes towards women and trans people. And it was Jacob's and Rebecca's opinion (and many other forumgoers') that it was the worst, just like it is your opinion that it wasn't
portgas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:09 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

You do realize you're contradicting yourself. First you say the show's gross attitudes are a matter of opinion, but then you say "it's not the worst of the season". I've news for you, that's a matter of opinion, and way more subjective than whether it has shitty attitudes towards women and trans people. And it was Jacob's and Rebecca's opinion (and many other forumgoers') that it was the worst, just like it is your opinion that it wasn't

Actually, I'm not contradicting myself. I know it's my opinion and it is my fault that I did not spell it out. Sorry. I was assuming people understood that.

My problem with these "worst" entries is that these two reviewers were vehemently against this title from the onset, yet they got the courage (and wasted the time) to watch the whole series just to write about how awful it is. Forgone conclusion, indeed.

I have to admit that basing a review on 'technical issues" was pretty darned clever. Yes, readers, not only is it bad in concept, it's bad in execution. (I'm not sure the lengthy comparison to the manga was quite fair. Sure, mention it, but the anime has to stand on it's own no matter what. No one wants a blow-by-blow (ha!) comparison to the manga.) Nice try but it is "forgone conclusion" for another vantage point.

I know what reviewers go through. It's even harder with so many streaming reviews and deadline. Why waste time if you think it's awful?
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:36 pm Reply with quote
So let me get this straight: You recognize that it's only your opinion that Super Lovers wasn't the worst show of the season. But at the same time you're coming down on these two reviewers for saying it was the worst for them.

No, you're still not making sense.

The "if you don't like it why are you watching it" attitude needs to stop and is also very stupid. If you don't watch something and say "I didn't watch it because it was shitty", people will tell you "how dare you say it's shitty if you didn't watch it". Then you watch it and they're back to "Why did you watch it if you thought it was shitty." Y'all just need to get over it and realize not everyone's gonna like the same things as you.

Some people get a level of enjoyment from watching something shitty. Look at Lost Village and Big Order, those were some prime hate-watch material. It's as valid a reason to watch something as any. Rebecca and Jacob chose to watch that show and they found it to be the worst they watched that season, why would they name something else for their respective "worst"?

Last edited by CrowLia on Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
xyz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Super Lovers isn't great but it's no where near the badness that is Mayoiga. As for Zero, when they had the loops I found it more interesting. It wanted to find out more about that fantasy world soon. Ironically once the story moved on to showing some of that, I lost interest because it was kind of underwhelming.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:23 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Look at Lost Village and Big Order, those were some prime hate-watch material.

Yep, I can vouch for that. As someone who suffered from panic disorder, seeing Lost Village was very refreshing, you see how all your internalized fears are stupid, nothing more, nothing less. Seems to me most people expected a kill-fest and went out empty handed and angry.

As for Big Order, yep, logic went out thru the window real fast, but it was an entertaining trainwreck, I would be mad if people said it was a masterpiece before I saw it; but since I knew what kind of series this was it never had a dull moment for me.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:31 pm Reply with quote
^I was certainly frustrated by the fact that no one died in Lost Village. 30 insufferable characters and not a single one of them met their bloody demise. Talk about a major disappointment. At least Another provided some hilarious slaughter (1) to make up for how terrible the rest of it was

(1) And I'm saying this as someone who's not really into gore/horror shows. Still, the scene spoiler[where one of the guys narrowly escapes death from a falling chandelier only to be crushed by a collapsing column] remains one of the most unintenionally hilarious that I've seen
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:43 pm Reply with quote
portgas wrote:
My problem with these "worst" entries is that these two reviewers were vehemently against this title from the onset...

Of course. They didn't review the show, they used it to flaunt their superior moral standings.

Real reviewer first looks which category the show falls and then assesses how it fares within that category. Then the fans will get useful information.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:25 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
As far as dying painfully, well that's on him. Once you realize you have a power that involve dying, the very first thing you do is find a way to painlessly kill yourself, that's really obvious, if he choose not to well he's reaping what he's sowing.

I think you're not aware of some very important things:

1) He gets into some situations where the choice to die or not isn't his.
2) He does not know up front how many times he can loop, so each time past established recurrences is pushing his luck.
3) It's not so easy to tell when things are so out of hand that he should just reset.

Look, I know you tend to be a cynic about things, but this is a case where I really think you should reserve further criticism until after you've seen what the series does.

Moroboshi-san wrote:
Real reviewer first looks which category the show falls and then assesses how it fares within that category. Then the fans will get useful information.

If you said that real reviewers should consider that as part of their review then I'd agree with you. It should not, however, be the whole basis for the review.

Last edited by Key on Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Breakthrough

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Wow, can't believe that only one person had Tanaka in their top two. I agree with Rebecca, it was AOTS for me with Re:Zero coming in at a close second.

edit: I was wrong, one other person had it as their runner up.

Last edited by Breakthrough on Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
portgas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:42 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

No, you're still not making sense.

Yes, I am but you're trying to widen the basis of my argument and then damn me on it. But I will repeat it.

My essential problem is that there were reviewers who had very great objections to Super Lovers before anything was broadcast and made them very vocal. Fine. I don't necessarily agree but I understand. No problem. Then, I was surprised to see these on worst lists with generalized objections. I think if the reviewers had made the effort to do an episodic review, I would have been more kindly disposed to the worst category for this title. But I need chapter and verse on the objections, not general statements. And don't give me so called technical justifications, there were worse this season and I can quote chapter and verse on those.

And don't tell me anything about forums. So many of the posts are misinformed and violently committed to the misinformation that they have. There was actually someone who posted that they hadn't seen Super Lovers but if they had, it would have been on their worst list! Forgone conclusion?

This isn't an issue of like or dislike. It's presenting the case to the reader/viewer with opinions substantiated. It wasn't done.

It hurts me to say this but the reviewers didn't do the work. Watching is one thing but connecting with reader is another. And the reader/viewer deserves better.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:14 am Reply with quote
And still not getting it.

In case you're not aware, the episodic reviews are determined by public vote early on in the season. Super lovers didn't get episodic reviews because it didn't get enough votes in the poll for Daily Streaming. In fact, Zac said it was way waaay below the cut off line for the stuff that got reviewed.

Also, once again, it is your opinion that Super Lovers wasn't the worst show of the season, be it storywise or in a technical level. And it was Jacob's and Rebecca's opinion that it was the worst. Jacob barely even cited the technical aspects, he just talked about the toxic attitudes of the story. You don't get to tell people what their opinions can and can't be. Besides, your whole argument about "prejudice" or "forgone conclusion" because Rebecca explicitly said she wasn't as grossed out by the premise, but that the technical aspect was a failure. And she also cited specific examples of the story that didn't work. You don't know which shows Rebecca watched to say "there were worse". Maybe there were, maybe Rebecca didn't watch them. Maybe she did and still thought SL was worse. That's how opinions work

So once you're saying they can't say the show is the worst based on the slimy premise, but also they can't say it's the worst based on its abysmal technical levels, and you're also ignoring Rebecca's explanations about the story and character development that was poorly done. Both of the reviewers did enough arguing about what they didn't like about the show. You're free to disagree, but it's disrespectful to say they're not doing their job when they obviously are. They both watched the show to completion and both decided it was the worst they watched this season and explained why.

You're also saying the reviewers aren't connecting with the readers, but most people here seem to agree that SL was amongst the worst of the season. Oh, but the forums don't count, you say? Then with which readers are they supposed to connect?

But worry not, surely a full-series review will come out eventually that will go point by point, verse by verse on everything that didn't work in the show again (not only the premise, but the flat characters, the terrible animation, the ineffective story-telling, the toxic treatment of the transgender character, etc etc). You're still gonna find something to claim "the reviewer didn't do their job", but that won't change anyone's opinion on the show.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:03 pm Reply with quote
portgas wrote:
And the reader/viewer deserves better.

What the reader's here deserve is for this childish back and forth to stop. So it's going to stop. Since it's obvious you 2 portgas & Crowlia are not going to agree I suggest you both drop the arguing and just agree to disagree and move on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8