• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst Anime of Spring 2016

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Muffum

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:16 am Reply with quote
Flying Witch is my favorite, without a doubt. As far as I'm concerned, it's basically a perfect show; it does what it sets out to do so well and so consistently that just seeing the characters interact in the most mundane of scenarios always puts a smile on my face. That's not even factoring in the flawless comedic timing or the wonderful sense of place prevalent throughout the entire show. I could go on for ages about how much I love this show, really.

Second would be Diamond Is Unbreakable or, delving into options not available legally, Macross Delta. Now that I think about it, I like them for a lot of the same reasons; both of them have casts with really great chemistry, and they're both able to hit big emotional beats surprisingly consistently. While Jojo's fights are more creative and the show has better direction overall, Delta has the benefit of a great soundtrack, in addition to the sense of scale in the dogfights always being a joy to watch.

Worst is Twin Star Exorcists, for basically all the reasons Amy said. I knew basically nothing about the manga or how it would be adapted going in, but I was hooked by the first episode just for its style. But then that style basically evaporated, and now that I've since learned it's going to be 50 episodes, I probably won't keep up with it for much longer unless it gets a lot better fast.

Mitrospeed wrote:
Or it may be because it hasn't finished airing yet lol.

I doubt this is the case, since Sakamoto and AssClass are on here.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:19 am Reply with quote
For me, the best of the season would have to be Macross Delta. It's been too long since a television anime actually managed to inspire me with whimsy and take my breath away. The animation is top-shelf, the world is dense, and the music is astounding. Not only that, but insofar, it's done a fantastic job of making each character feel like a tangible, real person instead of just a trope. It's been challenging SDF and M7 for my favorite entry yet, and is by far my favorite of the season.

My runner-ups would have to be JoJo and Ace Attorney, and for shockingly the same reason: they're both solid adaptations. Both keep the tone and spirit of the original works. While AA started off awfully, it's turned into a consistently good show, and one that even adds to the original games.

As far as worst? Far and away, it's Bakuon!!. One of the most unbelievable garbage storms of sewage I've ever watched. It's one of those rare experiences where nothing goes right. The animation? Trash. The music? Grating. The plot? Not even there. The whole show is an excuse for advertising motorcycles with knock-kneed underage girls' gyrating rear ends and jiggling chests. To be frank, it's one of the most insufferably awful things I've ever had to watch in my decade-plus of being into anime.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:20 am Reply with quote
It was surprising, that the two entries for Super Lovers on the worst list, are so different from each other.
Z-Raid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:23 am Reply with quote
For me,

Best: My Hero Academia
It is by no means breaking any standards but the sincere and genuine compassion is so blatant and charming that I can't help but adore it. Plus the wonderful cast and art really helps seal the deal. I look forward to the next season.

Runner Up: Flying Witch and Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto
I like both shows equally enough so they're both runner ups for me. Flying Witch is by far the best healing slice of life anime I've ever seen. Sakamoto never fails to make me laugh even if all of the comedy is based off of a simple premise of a supernaturally perfect high school student.

Worst: The Lost Village
A frustrating show filled with a frustrating and annoying cast. It fails as a psychological thriller and a "comedy" that people keep pretending it is and I could not have been happier that it's over.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:30 am Reply with quote
I am breaking the rules a bit and list my top 3.

1. Flying Witch - lovable and charming characters, optimist and relaxing
2. Kabaneri - got dumb, but amazing visuals, high octane adrenaline, touchy moments
3. Re:Zero - some dumb otaku stuff, but an intriguing premise with potential, nice visuals

My least favorite is Mayoiga.

EDIT: Moved Kabaneri to number 2 after watching its last episode

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:34 am Reply with quote
Here is the list in order of the votes of all of the reviewers, when sorted by the number of votes for best, then number of votes for runner up, then the fewest votes for worst, then sorted alphabetically within groups:
My Hero Academia
Flying Witch
Re: Zero
Tanaka-kun is Always Listless
Concrete Revolutio
Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond Is Unbreakable
Anne Happy
Assassination Classroom
Kinaiver
The Lost Village
Ushio and Tora
Space Patrol Luluco
Enride
Kuma Miko: Girl meets Bear
Three Leaves, Thre Colors
Twin Star Exorcists
Ace Attourney
Super Lovers

Yeah, I do stats for a living, so this is the type of thing I do with data when I see it...

I haven't had a chance to catch My Hero Academia yet, but it is on my list. I would put Flying Witch as my "Best of Season" with Re: Zero as my "Runner Up". They are pretty much the only two I have been following, and I haven't really been keeping up with them, preferring to wait a week or two and binge watch a few episodes at a time, especially with Re: Zero. (Incidentally, I find it fascinating that the reviewers use the shortened version of the title for Re: Zero in the article and not the ridiculously long full title... I thought they usually used the official title of works... or is that the actual official title of it? It isn't what is above the video on Crunchyroll...)
Mhora

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:35 am Reply with quote
Best: Space Patrol Luluco

Runner-up: Flying Witch

Worst: Super Lovers
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:36 am Reply with quote
I'm gonna go with stuff I actually watched the entire way through.

Favorite: Bungo Stray Dogs
Runner-up: Space patrol Luluco

Least-Favorite: Lost Village (WHY did I watch this the entire way through. WHY. I hated it so much. I wanted people to die and no one did D: )
VoidWitch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:39 am Reply with quote
My list

Best: Jojo. It's really good. It's just works for me on every single imaginable level. I wouldn't say that it's kind of a show I will remember or rewatch, but it's an incredibly enjoyable ride I'm very happy to be a part of.

Runner-up(s): Can't choose between the two. Tanaka Kun and Flying witch are both very endearing laid-back shows if you are into that. Not nearly enough of spice and meat for me, but still quite a pleasant watch.

Watchable: Joker Game. Bare-bones spy thriller with no character depth and predictable plot twists. Meh.

Worst: Kizniver. I. Hated. It. I was watching it just because of curiosity. Big mistake. Mari Okada's ugly worldview is all over that shit. The worst part is that the show looks absolutely stunning. What a waste of director's talent.

Last edited by VoidWitch on Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
FloozyGod

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:39 am Reply with quote
Nick Creamer, what the fudge is wrong with you? You give Mayoiga runner up, and Luluco the WORST?!?! You even said it wasn't that bad, when there were so many other worse shows like [expletive] Hundred and Seisen Cerberus. Saying a show is the worst, it doesn't matter what you think, to many others it means stay away from this show. Space Patrol Luluco was one of if not THE BEST show of this season, and that's a fact. No opinion, no hyperbole.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:40 am Reply with quote
The best for me would be a toss-up between Jojo and My Hero Academia, they're both shows with lovable casts, interesting superpowers, great animation and color palettes and engaging and exciting stories. I'm a little behind on both (haven't watched eps 12-13), but I couldn't pick between them for my favorite of the season. Honorable mentions for Macross Delta, Concrete Revolutio and Ushio to tora

As far as the worst, that's also a toss up between Super Lovers and The Lost Village (and I'm surprised no one picked that as their worst). Super Lovers is godawful for all the things Jacob mentioned in terms of the icky premise alone, and the things Rebecca mentions as far as its failure to develop the characters or make the story interesting. But The Lost Village failed so spectacularly as either horror, character drama or a commentary on social psychology that I was just baffled through the whole thing. It even lost some of its so-bad-it's-good entertainment value when it started getting "serious" and "dramatic" in the last quarter. It was all made worse because, having such a large cast of horrible but somehow entertatining people, they made the most boring and insufferable ones of the bunch into the protagonists. Dishonorable mentions for Sailor Moon Crystal and Kiznaiver
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:53 am Reply with quote
I'd actually give Lost Village one of my runner up spots for best. As a psych major I like works that delve into characters' psychology and we learn what events lead them to be the people they are today. While the cast was too big to give everyone this treatment, it wisely chose to just focus on a few rather than cram in too much. I think it portrayed what a group dynamic would be in such a situation pretty accurately. They did try to work together and discuss things out, but their clashing personalities and lack of solid leadership lead to them not making the best choices.

There's plenty to laugh at, but rather than trying to be a comedy I think the show just realizes and accepts that horror movies are inherently silly and corny like that. It didn't try to force a super serious tone because they knew that'd never work so they might as well have some fun with it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Overall I wasn't very impressed by this season but there were some good shows
Best:
1. My Hero Academia
2. Joker Game

Worst:
Big Order or Hundred
Assassin Eclipse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I was quite busy for the past few months, so I only watched 9 shows this season (usually I watch over a dozen shows), and I'd say that this was a good anime season. Netoge was surprisingly fun, Mayoiga was ridiculous but not boring. Flying Witch, My Hero Academia, AssClass and Sakamoto are all great, but sadly they never made the cut.

Best of the season: Tanaka-kun is Always Listless

I'm surprised that this lazy high school student managed to keep me entertained throughout the season with practically no effort. It's absolutely hilarious and endearing. Even though AssClass and Sakamoto still have one episode left, I doubt my opinion will change.

Runner-up: Re:Zero

I wasn't too excited about this in the beginning, but it has proved its worth throughout the season. It was a lot of fun watching Subaru try to avoid death. Let's see if the second cour is as good, if not better, than the first.

Worst of the season: The Asterisk War

Nobody has yet to mention this, but among all the shows I watched this season (I'm not taking into account dropped shows), this one is the most boring show of the season. Somehow I remember that the first season wasn't that boring. Maybe it's because this second season bombed itself in the second half.

The first half of the season was still okay, we had some good battles, but the conflict that occurred near the end of the Phoenix Festa was boring. The final match was ugly and utterly boring. The last few episodes were boring to the point where finishing this show felt like a chore. I was utterly disappointed with the show.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:11 pm Reply with quote
cloud8100 wrote:
Personally I still enjoy the Ace Attorney anime but am disappointed that they didn't use it to its full potential. It really could've been something great. Sad

Given the high standards and pickiness of the fanbase I wonder.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8