• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Daisuki to Launch Premium Membership to Offer Simulcasts, Older Anime Titles

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaughingElbow

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:40 pm Reply with quote
If they can offer me something new, then I may be inclined to subscribe, but I already have Prime, Funimation, and CR.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I was originally not going to care but then

>VIFAM

Sasuga Daisuki! That is an 80s mecha classic.......... And the anime that would inspire Infinite Ryvius........... Suddenly I feel nippy. Still, good for them. Smile
srlracing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:56 pm Reply with quote
LaughingElbow wrote:
If they can offer me something new, then I may be inclined to subscribe, but I already have Prime, Funimation, and CR.

I feel the same. I already subscribe to about a dozen services plus a very comprehensive cable package. It would have to offer me something compelling that I must have that the others do not. Otherwise I can't see myself adding it to an already very crowded list of services. Their big trump card could be their back catalog if they can stock up enough of them.

Edit: I just remembered that they only have Android and iOS applications. The service is a no go for me if I can't have it on my Roku for a proper living room experience. They need to up their application game if they are serious about the service.

Last edited by srlracing on Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Question: When they say lower advertisement frequency... Do they mean premium members will still need to sit through some commercials? Funimation and CR both disable ads for premium members.

I'm cautious about this. I already pay for Funimation and CR. (I access Prime via a shared family account.) Five dollars isn't that much, but it adds up and they aren't throwing a lot of exclusive content our way. I can watch new series that I'm interested in on Funi's site. If they get a decent amount of older unavailable shows, that might pique my interest.

Also, I don't like Daisuki's site design much. CR's is my favorite, but Funi's queue is functional. Does Daisuki's watch list feature tell you which episode you left off on?
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I take it people are overlooking this important detail:

Yeah.... Good luck with that, Daisuki, and your still ad supported streams.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:13 pm Reply with quote
All the gundam shows are youtube legally and free. I don't see me paying for other old shows.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Can't say I'm too excited. I mean, their player is pretty bad, I don't think anyone will want to pay for that unless they step it up a notch. I do wonder if they will still stream the episodes with delaycast for free on the regions that don't have the premium service available.

I also think this season's lineup is really weak to make it the time to introduce the paid service. Apart from Love Live they don't really have anything that's greatly anticipated, and all of their licenses are already getting simulcast in different services. Might have made sense if they were going to simulcast to the regions that were left out by Funimation, but that's not gonna be the case. Or if they'd grabbed the exclusive to Love Live instead of giving it to Funimation. Doesn't look like the smartest business decision or one that's gonna be popular with anyone
Arakiba

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and a lower advertisement frequency.

Can only speak for myself, but if I subscribe to a video service like this, I expect no ads, not just a lower frequency. So, that alone makes me go "nope".
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:50 pm Reply with quote
ChibiGoku, it seems that rights holders still don't grasp the idea that a license should last a lot longer. If it was taken off Daisuki because the license expired (I think a minimum of 1 year), I could see that. However, having it last just under 2 months is ridiculous.
Gasero

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Unless there are multiple tiers to a paid service, "decreased advertising" should not be a feature after paying, especially when competition has no commercials for their paid service.

Daisuki is going to have to have a VERY competitive price and VERY appealing selection if they want to come even a little close to the appeal of Crunchyroll, Hulu, and Funimation.

I support competition, but it's gonna be tough to get excited about this service.
RHorsman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Arakiba wrote:
Quote:

Can only speak for myself, but if I subscribe to a video service like this, I expect no ads, not just a lower frequency. So, that alone makes me go "nope".

No mention of streaming to consoles, Roku, etc. either. That's two deal breakers for me: if I'm paying it's for no ads, and if I'm streaming it's on a set top device, not a PC.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Arakiba wrote:
Quote:

This right here. Exactly what I was gonna say. Screw that. I only even use Hulu because they added the ad-free version. Yes, it's a bit higher priced that others...but I do watch American shows as well, so it's good value. (Though tehy did just lose most their anime so meh)
TsukasaHiiragi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:34 pm Reply with quote
$5 for premium isn't bad, its good to create some competition for sites like crunchyroll etc - I'd be more inclined if it was dubbed simulcasts so for now, I'm still with Funi.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:13 am Reply with quote
While at the start it sounds like a good idea, let's take a look at the comparison:

Crunchyroll Premium
*Dozens of simulcasts, most, if not all, of which are exclusives
*Hundreds of series available to watch in full
*Manga included, which includes simulpubs
*Has an app to watch on consoles/other devices to hook to the TV
*Ad-free
*$6.95/month

FUNimation SubPass
*About 20 simulcasts, only a few of which aren't exclusives
*"Over 300" series available to watch in full (sub only)
*Ad-free
*$4.99/month

FUNimation All Access
*About 20 simulcasts, only a few of which aren't exclusives
*"Over 300" series available to watch in full (sub and dub)
*Gives access to simuldubs
*Ad-free
*$7.99/month

Daisuki Premium
*Handful of simulcasts, most of which are on other services
*Less than 50 titles available to watch in full
*A few non-anime titles (such as the Seiyuu awards)
*App is only for android/iOS
*Limited ads
*$4.99/month

So, breaking it down... Daisuki is the same place as FUNi's Sub-only, $2 less than Crunchy, and $3 less than FUNi's All-Access. And yet, it has a mere fraction of the titles available, no way to stream to TV, and includes ads. Not worth it, especially when most of their simulcasts are shared with FUNi.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:39 am Reply with quote
My initial thought was, "About time", and then I read:
Quote:
..., and a lower advertisement frequency.

Hulu was my last choice for viewing anime before their commercial-free option, and you aren't Hulu.
Quote:
All of these titles except for Vegetable Fairies N.Y. Salad are available for premium members until August 31.

So in addition to ads, we get rather limited windows of time to view catalog titles. I'm not a fan of being "treadmilled".

I'm betting in September we'll get another round of titles that are available for only a limited time.

Spotlesseden wrote:
All the gundam shows are youtube legally and free. I don't see me paying for other old shows.

If you mean on the GundamInfo channel, you may want to check again. Neither Seed or Seed Destiny appear to be available there now, and I don't recall seeing them ever offer Wing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2