• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Boys-Love Manga Hitorijime My Hero Gets Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:55 pm Reply with quote
BlueOla wrote:
CrowLia wrote:

I'm probably gonna check this one out even though I'm feeling very little tolerance for power imbalance relationships after Super Lovers. If at least this was a college setting situation I would be more open to it but high school...:/ Then again, I suffered through all of Super Lovers and Junjou Romantica 3.

"Suffered through"? Why do you force yourself to watch things you don't even enjoy? I really don't understand this. Maybe suffering through one episode, and then deciding "yeah, that's not for me" and dropping it, but forcing yourself to see the whole thing even if you hate it? What's the point of that? Being able to say that because you clearly dislike it, it was crap? I don't get it at all.

For me one common sense rule always applies "Don't like? Don't watch." If you watch even though you don't like anything of what you watched then I feel like you don't get a right to complain. You chose to watch something that clearly wasn't for you, what else did you expect?

Rivailloli already answered for me, but to confirm, I personally enjoy having a couple shows to hatewatch every season. It gives me a morbid kind of pleasure to watch something that's utterly terrible and never manages to rise above that. Chaos Dragon, Sailor Moon Crystal and Mayoiga are perfect examples of this. Dimension W became that when it started self-destructing halfway through. Super Lovers was a show I wanted to like because I had faith in it based on what I'd heard from the manga, and by gods I hoped that we'd get better BL anime than the usual Nakamura crap, but the show got more gross by the week while remaining astonishingly boring. Once I realized it wasn't gonna get better, I figured I'd settle for morbidly enjoying how terrible it could be. Funnily, I tend to look forward to shows I hatewatch quite a lot, it's a very special, schadenfreude-ish kind of enjoyment.

On that note the "don't like don't watch" sentiment is ridiculous and I'm sick of hearing it. If that's your philosophy, good for you, but don't go around telling people what they should or shouldn't watch.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:17 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
BlueOla wrote:
CrowLia wrote:

I'm probably gonna check this one out even though I'm feeling very little tolerance for power imbalance relationships after Super Lovers. If at least this was a college setting situation I would be more open to it but high school...:/ Then again, I suffered through all of Super Lovers and Junjou Romantica 3.

"Suffered through"? Why do you force yourself to watch things you don't even enjoy? I really don't understand this. Maybe suffering through one episode, and then deciding "yeah, that's not for me" and dropping it, but forcing yourself to see the whole thing even if you hate it? What's the point of that? Being able to say that because you clearly dislike it, it was crap? I don't get it at all.

For me one common sense rule always applies "Don't like? Don't watch." If you watch even though you don't like anything of what you watched then I feel like you don't get a right to complain. You chose to watch something that clearly wasn't for you, what else did you expect?

Rivailloli already answered for me, but to confirm, I personally enjoy having a couple shows to hatewatch every season. It gives me a morbid kind of pleasure to watch something that's utterly terrible and never manages to rise above that. Chaos Dragon, Sailor Moon Crystal and Mayoiga are perfect examples of this. Dimension W became that when it started self-destructing halfway through. Super Lovers was a show I wanted to like because I had faith in it based on what I'd heard from the manga, and by gods I hoped that we'd get better BL anime than the usual Nakamura crap, but the show got more gross by the week while remaining astonishingly boring. Once I realized it wasn't gonna get better, I figured I'd settle for morbidly enjoying how terrible it could be. Funnily, I tend to look forward to shows I hatewatch quite a lot, it's a very special, schadenfreude-ish kind of enjoyment.

On that note the "don't like don't watch" sentiment is ridiculous and I'm sick of hearing it. If that's your philosophy, good for you, but don't go around telling people what they should or shouldn't watch.

If you're looking forward to shows that you "hatewatch", you're not "suffering through it"
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:16 am Reply with quote
#838774 wrote:

A lot of people do watch things out of the desire to complain about how miserable they are later. Which is also a valid reason to watch, I suppose. Perhaps you should be more precise when choosing your words instead of badmouthing someone who had a reasonable point. The only one offended here seems to be you.

I really don't get why you're trying to jump down my throat because I told someone to take their own advice, but okay?

#838774 wrote:

If you're looking forward to shows that you "hatewatch", you're not "suffering through it"

This is an issue of semantics and literally, what does it even matter how who uses what word for their weird enjoyment/lack of for something? The words are used to evoke a more comedic response going by their context and the fact that using negative words fits into today's "standard" internet humor. It's an obvious joke. Laugh or move on.
.sev

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:56 pm Reply with quote
fencer_x wrote:
Damn, teacher-student relationships are definitely one of my 'no-no's, so I'll be passing on this as well. There are so many great BL series out there, and yet we keep getting power-imbalance or dub-con or NON-con...

Someone take one of Yamamoto Kotetsuko's series and do something wonderful with it, please?? There's an author whose works deserve to be animated.

I'm a big fan of Yamamoto Kotetsuko too and I love almost all her series, specially ''Honto Yajuu'' and ''Konya mo Nemurenai''. I do also think that at least one of her works deserves to be animated, but I really don't think it's fair to judge something you know so little about, I mean SERIOUSLY. All of you just know that one of them is a student and one of them is a teacher. You don't know ANYTHING about the story.

From what I read two or one year ago (I checked the raws and also the 'prequel', which is about Setagawa Masahiro's (blond dude a.ka. the uke) friend). Setagawa Masahiro and Ooshiba Kousuke have known each other since before, because Kousuke's the older brother of Kensuke (Masahiro's best friend). So they've known each other since two years ago or something like that(?) Before he dyed his hair to blonde xD So you could say they are friends or more like they are close(?) Kousuke just happens to teach at his brother's and Masahiro's school, so he's not a ''predator'' or some shit like that. I can guarantee you that this is completely consensual and the seme's not a creep.

Also Kousuke used to be a ''delinquent'' before becoming a teacher, and when Masahiro's was having trouble with a gang which he called ''friends'' but they were just treating him like some errand boy, he kind of saved him from them. Hence, the title: ''Hitorijime my Hero''

Overall the plot isn't anything special, it's simple, but it's not generic or just fluff like many of you think it is (Junjou Romantica has sex basically every ''effin chapter and NO ONE complains. There is not much story either. Same with Sekaiichi Hatsukoi) (Not saying they are bad or anything, I'm just pointing out the double standards)
Then again, it's cute af. Masahiro and Kousuke are just simply too cute and pure. Also, in my opinion, it keeps getting better by each volume. There are currently 4 volumes (Thy are not translated, tough. Unfortunately)

Also there are no sex scenes. I mean... there are (In the first volume there's just one at the end), but they don't really show much, so it's more shounen ai than yaoi. Which is better in my opinion, since shounen ai mangas tend to have an ACTUAL story.

Leaving that aside, I hope that it's an anime and not an OVA. Tough I'm sure it's going to be an anime, since it really sold well in Japan and the chapter's are quite long. And Yaoi OVA's tend to be +18, anyway. So it's either a movie (very unlikely) or an anime.
mayah-n

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:02 pm Reply with quote
From what I read two or one year ago (I checked the raws and also the 'prequel', which is about Setagawa Masahiro's (blond dude a.ka. the uke) friend). Setagawa Masahiro and Ooshiba Kousuke have known each other since before, because Kousuke's the older brother of Kensuke (Masahiro's best friend). So they've known each other since two years ago or something like that(?) Before he dyed his hair to blonde xD So you could say they are friends or more like they are close(?) Kousuke just happens to teach at his brother's and Masahiro's school, so he's not a ''predator'' or some shit like that. I can guarantee you that this is completely consensual and the seme's not a creep.

Also Kousuke used to be a ''delinquent'' before becoming a teacher, and when Masahiro's was having trouble with a gang which he called ''friends'' but they were just treating him like some errand boy, he kind of saved him from them. Hence, the title: ''Hitorijime my Hero''

Overall the plot isn't anything special, it's simple, but it's not generic or just fluff like many of you think it is (Junjou Romantica has sex basically every ''effin chapter and NO ONE complains. There is not much story either. Same with Sekaiichi Hatsukoi) (Not saying they are bad or anything, I'm just pointing out the double standards)
Then again, it's cute af. Masahiro and Kousuke are just simply too cute and pure. Also, in my opinion, it keeps getting better by each volume. There are currently 4 volumes (Thy are not translated, tough. Unfortunately)

Also there are no sex scenes. I mean... there are (In the first volume there's just one at the end), but they don't really show much, so it's more shounen ai than yaoi. Which is better in my opinion, since shounen ai mangas tend to have an ACTUAL story.

Leaving that aside, I hope that it's an anime and not an OVA. Tough I'm sure it's going to be an anime, since it really sold well in Japan and the chapter's are quite long. And Yaoi OVA's tend to be +18, anyway. So it's either a movie (very unlikely) or an anime.[/quote]

I totally agree with you. I am not a big fan of student-teacher relationship usually but this one seems so natural. I mean they knew each other before Kousuke became a teacher.
Also, Kousuke was in love with Masahiro before he also became a teacher. Things like that can happen, think Macron and his wife, I am not saying this is something I agree with but their relationship to me seem more acceptable than some other one portrayed out there.
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by mayah-n on Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
mayah-n

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:03 pm Reply with quote

Leaving that aside, I hope that it's an anime and not an OVA. Tough I'm sure it's going to be an anime, since it really sold well in Japan and the chapter's are quite long. And Yaoi OVA's tend to be +18, anyway. So it's either a movie (very unlikely) or an anime.[/quote]

I totally agree with you. I am not a big fan of student-teacher relationship usually but this one seems so natural. I mean they knew each other before Kousuke became a teacher.
Also, Kousuke was in love with Masahiro before he also became a teacher. Things like that can happen, think Macron and his wife, I am not saying this is something I agree with but their relationship to me seem more acceptable than some other one portrayed out there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3