• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon Sun & Moon TV Anime's 1st Promo Video Shows Ash in School & Battle

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:00 pm Reply with quote
They made him look 8 and an idiot. Whaaaat happened here?
Dextres

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:05 pm Reply with quote
FlareKnight wrote:
It really does feel like he's aging backwards.

Talk about completely abandoning the tone and direction they had going in the previous season. "Well that was clearly too serious and we can't have people hoping Ash will accomplish something.....let's put him in school and make him look like an idiot."

This one seems pretty hopeless.

Not like it wasn't the first time, Black & white.

Anyway it still business and to focus on keeping it relatable for kids.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Never hoped a franchise dies before but hopefully this crashes and burns.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:37 pm Reply with quote
That's one gigantic shift in style for Ash, he really stands out next to everyone else. The animation does look pretty good, though, keeping with the sudden shift in budget and quality the XY&Z anime took. But as others pointed out- he looks so much younger than he should be, which is odd cause XY&Z Ash looks a tad bit more matured.

I guess it's because I've been following the anime for 18 years, but I'm not exactly fond of the new premise of just sticking Ash into a school for (hopefully just) most of the series. The kid's traveled over 6 regions and visited at least one Pokemon school in all of them. If it's to learn Sun and Moon's new mechanics, we all know he would learn them anyway with or without a school.

The new style and premise just makes it seem more like a spin-off than an actual part of the anime. Maybe it's only temporary and once Ash graduates he'll get the standard new male and female companion and start traveling the region like them good ol' days.

Even if there are no gyms (according to Serebii's anime summary), Alola's region is so interesting, not to exploring it in the anime would be a crime.

Last edited by DigitalScratch on Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:39 pm Reply with quote
My goodness. Satoshi's face is just....

Black/White was the first region I decided to stop watch after 20 episodes(I watched Pokemon from day 1 so it was a tough decision) because it was bad. A good number of people said it didn't get any better and that Pokemon league was a disgrace. I lost all in the Pokemon anime and decided to move on. I heard great things about XY so I decided to watch it. Currently my favorite after Kanto/Johto(the original adventure) and V (Volt) is arguably my favorite opening. Sun/Moon is looking like a skip, but I'll watch the 1st 20 episodes before I decide.
Dextres

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:44 pm Reply with quote
DigitalScratch wrote:
That's one gigantic shift in style for Ash, he really stands out next to everyone else. The animation does look pretty good, though, keeping with the sudden shift in budget and quality the XY&Z anime took. But as others pointed out- he looks so much younger than he should be, which is odd cause XY&Z Ash looks a tad bit more matured.

I guess it's because I've been following the anime for 18 years, but I'm not exactly fond of the new premise of just sticking Ash into a school for (hopefully just) most of the series. The kid's traveled over 6 regions and visited at least one Pokemon school in all of them. If it's to learn Sun and Moon's new mechanics, we all know he would learn them anyway with or without a school.

The new style and premise just makes it seem more like a spin-off than an actual part of the anime. Maybe it's only temporary and once Ash graduates he'll get the standard new male and female companion and start traveling the region like them good ol' days.

Even if there are no gyms (according to Serebii's anime summary), Alola's region is way too interesting not to explore in the anime

I think it's not going to go the traditional school route; but have Ash & companions travel to island to island completing challenges.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Dextres wrote:

I think it's not going to go the traditional school route; but have Ash & companions travel to island to island completing challenges.

That's what I'm thinking too, but the fact they're advertising the "new school life" in the promo implies they're at least sticking with that setting for a bit. Maybe for the first 20 episodes until they send Ash and his new co. to the different islands.
tintor2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm not often critical to animation, but the trailer looked really weird. Shocked
malvarez1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:11 pm Reply with quote
After the bland and disappointing Diamond & Pearl and Black/White, XY was actuallu pretty good, and had some gorgeous animation, not to mention an actual plot and a somewhat matured Ash.

This seems like a step back in the same way Black and White was...a less mature Ash, a goofier tone, etc. What, did people complain that XY was too serious? Sigh.

I just really hate when any show seemingly makes a protagonist goofier to try and be a hit with young kids.
MischievousMelody

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I'm just going to say it. Despite how big of a Pokemon fan I am, I'm not sure about this new series.
Shirohae

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:29 pm Reply with quote
They made Ash look derppy why..why..omg..lol
Blue21

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:
Never hoped a franchise dies before but hopefully this crashes and burns.

Well I hope it won't take the entire franchise with it since I still love the games even if I stopped caring about the anime more than a decade ago.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Omg my baby Bewear!! Thank you whoever Wink As for the rest I'm not gonna be too critical about it being Ash anymore since we're clearly keeping him for the long haul. On the bright side, I may be the only one who enjoys the art/animation. It reminds me a lot of Tsuritama.
Honey_Zero

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Maybe this will put some new life into the repetitive cartoon Pokemon always has been.
Or they will just have the characters do the same thing every episode like all the other seasons.
ChrisA15

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:19 pm Reply with quote
MY GOD!!!!!!! What in the flying fudgemonkies have they done to Ash's character design? It is hideous to point that it borders on just being utterly creepy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6