• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon Sun & Moon TV Anime's 1st Promo Video Shows Ash in School & Battle

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCTakato

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:12 pm Reply with quote
But you're acting like Pokemon has never done anything darker before and the series would collapse if it did. The movies usually have some element of seriousness to them and some of them could pretty dark, most notably Mewtwo Strikes Back, which is still one of the highest grossing Pokemon movies in the U.S. Some of the older Kanto episodes were pretty dark too, like the Sabrina episodes. And though Team Rocket was still pretty goofy in those episodes, they could be serious too and actually acted like a threatening terrorist organization sometimes, with using bombs and rockets a lot, and blowing up gyms and Pokemon Centers frequently. It's not like I'm demanding Pokemon to have lots of blood and guts or anything. Just add a bit more of the serious edge they have with the Pokemon movies and make Ash a more contemplative and introspective character that actually thinks ahead. I remember they made Ash a little more mature character back in Pokemon Advance and had him be like the sempai character in the show who was showing May the ropes and teaching her about Pokemon and stuff. It made the series much more enjoyable at least for me after the very dragging and dull Johto arc. So the writers have clearly done a more mature Ash before and were able to make it work while still keeping the kid friendly tone of the franchise.
theNightster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I just wish they would replace ash with a trainer who's worth a damn
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:07 pm Reply with quote
The general approach to Ash as a character, at least with my analysis of what I've watched of the Pokémon anime over the generations, is that Ash is a blank slate. He is whatever the writers want him to be. Their only concern is to keep him consistent between generations. Team Rocket is like that too, at least in Generation V when they became a lot more serious without any explained reason.

They can get away with this because the Pokémon anime is supposed to have a fleeting audience. Kids tune in to watch, they stick around for a few years, then they outgrow the anime and move on to other interests. As they tune out, more kids tune in. Ash remains a rookie perpetually for accessibility, so that kids can jump in to watch at any time and not get lost. Pick any episode of the anime, and even if you've never seen any of it before, you will understand the basics by the end of the episode. Something like One Piece or Naruto is meant to get young viewers (or readers) in and keep them for as long as possible, at the expense of having fewer people jumping in mid-series because it's more difficult.

In other words, I believe Ash, as a character, has been fully calculated and designed to maintain a steady cycle of kids coming in and moving out. He was never meant for me or you (unless you're 8 years old or something). He resets constantly beause his audience resets constantly. And he will be whatever the head writer wants him to be.

CCTakato wrote:
And I don't know about Japan, but how many Digimon fans in America really watched the show for the toys to begin with? Maybe some diehard fans did, but it always felt like it was Pokemon that people liked for the toys and the games and people liked Digimon mainly for the anime and maybe a few of the games but I never felt like they pushed the toy side of Digimon too strongly in America. There was also the issue that Tamers came out during that time period where Fox Kids was changing ownership and 4Kids was taking over and Frontier had the issues of airing at random times on random UPN networks after Fox Kids turned into the Fox Box.

Personally, a TV show made to sell toys works best when you become emotionally invested in the characters and the story. Viewers will then buy toys because it reminds them of the characters in the TV show. I don't think anyone really watches a show meant to sell toys seeing the characters and then consciously thinking, "I want a toy of that character in that setting!"

Merchandising strategy is probably pretty different between Pokémon and Digimon as franchises, and the psychology of it is different, but there is no denying that the Digimon anime's purpose was, and still is, to sell the merchandise.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:55 am Reply with quote
KutovoiAnton wrote:
dark13 wrote:
Oh God what is this ugly animation you can tell toei animation really doesn't care about the pokemon anime.

Well, Toei obviously doesn't care about Pokemon anime, since they have absolutely nothing to do with it Very Happy
this here is all from TV Tokyo, not from Toei. though i wouldnt be surprised at all if their hands are being tied down by the big N as well as PUSA. i mean i am a diehard pokemaniac but even i am completely peeved on how god awful they made satoshi. its proof they (PUSA & nintendo) are trying to "americanized" the series as much as possible so it will have a smooth transition when the english dub gets released. definitely not gonna bother with the fansubs for this mess. especially considering that people were finally expecting to see him win one of these league, but as predicted , Alan is more or less like XY's version of Tobias. a stonefoot from him winning in any of the leagues. the difference is that Alan isnt as OP as Tobias whose like a cheat code of the worst kind.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
peno

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:32 am Reply with quote
Tobias may look like cheater all he wanted, spoiler[but at least he wasn't villain like Alain was. True, he cut his ropes with Lysandre and Team Flare eventually, but still, he was villain and letting villain win the league, is bad move IMO. If there is anyone who deserved to be beaten by Ash in Kalos League, it was Alain. And to be quite honest, I personally would like it better, if Ash can't win the league, if Sawyer was the one to win it. Heck, poor Sawyer did not have any win against Ash and he deserves at least one.]
Dextres

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:36 am Reply with quote
peno wrote:
Tobias may look like cheater all he wanted, spoiler[but at least he wasn't villain like Alain was. True, he cut his ropes with Lysandre and Team Flare eventually, but still, he was villain and letting villain win the league, is bad move IMO. If there is anyone who deserved to be beaten by Ash in Kalos League, it was Alain. And to be quite honest, I personally would like it better, if Ash can't win the league, if Sawyer was the one to win it. Heck, poor Sawyer did not have any win against Ash and he deserves at least one.]

Does it matter.

Tobias won the league for Sinona saga and we will never see him again(just like all previous champions in Pokemon anime). I don't mean any disrespect or offense when I say this but....

spoiler[Why are we making excuses for Sawyer loses. What's important is he learn something from it and mature as a trainer with a strong mega pokemon by his side.

And Alain. Simply he was the better trainer and won. We won't see Alain again in the next region.]
peno

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:09 am Reply with quote
First, they still are not champions, they are just winners of the league, who have right to eventually challenge E4 and champion.

Second, it doesn't matter we will not see them again. spoiler[It's just bad move for kids show to let villain win against main hero. What message it will send to the kids? Am I really the only one who feel it's wrong to do this?]
michaeltanzer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I think Funimation should take over the dubbing production instead...I think FUNi should either dub or sub it...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6