• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yuri!!! on Ice

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taurussieben

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10 explains so much on so many levels. xD
I totally loved it. I think one thing in this anime is really well done: the pacing of the story, when it should serious, when it is good to put in the humor. It's such a fun to watch.

And THE FREAKING ED IS AWESOME:
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:47 pm Reply with quote
God, why can't I be home now and watching this? I've already seen the spoiler pictures, and it's killing me. spoiler[AGH, THE RINGS!]

So I spent this week rewatching the episodes that have already been released... twice. And I'll probably rewatch it again soon. This is seriously such an amazing series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:09 pm Reply with quote
That ED!!! I'm still laughing my ass off. Absolutely brilliant.

And yes, this does shed some new light on things...
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Well, to sum up my thoughts on episode 10 in one word....would be IMPOSSIBLE!!!!
So, I'm going to just rent out the best dress for the eventual spoiler[wedding OVA] coming out when the last BD volume comes out.

But, yeah I'm not sure what made me scream louder: spoiler[Yurio and Otabek are friends! Chris and Victor literally chilling out at the pool! Phichit supporting Victuuri's engagement (which all depends on Yuuri winning so obviously Phichit wasn't happy about that)! Victor and Yurio roasting JJ's bloated ego into the raging inferno! The ending credits where Yuuri getting so damn drunk that he [expletive] strips naked, challenges Yurio to a dance contest, pole dances with Chris, and (the crimson shiny red cherry on top) GRINDS ON VICTOR IN PUBLIC AND OUTRIGHT ASKED TO COACH HIM]

There's just one tiny thing that bothered me about this episode: spoiler[Victor and Yurio at the dock and Victor's face was darken by the sun lighting him from behind. Yurio even states that the old Victor was dead and Victor grabs Yuuri by the chin angrily.] He even states that Yuuri brought out another "L" word: Life, love, and the only word I could think of was spoiler[Lie]. ;w; .....just when I could relax and enjoy spoiler[Yuuri and Victor being the first openly gay married anime couple in a sports anime (my voice was higher than a tea kettle)] those few minutes sobered the hell out of me!! (o_____O)

Please PLEASE tell me that I'm reading too much into that scene because I really don't want this upbeat series to end in such a sour dramatic twist. That moment brought me back to episode 1 with Vic starring so intensely at Yuuri's video that I can't help but, think "AH I KNEW I COULDN'T TRUST THIS GUY"!
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Curious... What are the rules, if any, of posting about the latest episode in the episode review thread when the latest episode has yet to be reviewed on ANN? ^^;

I posted in the regular series thread because I figured people might be mad about spoilers of content not mentioned in the parent article but everyone's posting here. ^^;;

If it doesn't matter then maybe it would be more efficient to have just one discussion thread and have the episode reviews link to the series thread?

Anyway, amazing episode. I was delighted with all the new footage and happenings enough though this was partially a recap episode. That ending was genius and now a major question has been answered. I'm eagerly awaiting next week's episode.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Having two threads for series like this has been a bad idea from the outset. I've noticed that commentary about such series is diluted across the two threads, and people often don't seem to know where to post.

I'd be much happier to see one-series, one-thread be the rule, but it was explained to me that the current forum system can't handle this because the episode discussions come from the Talkback forum while the overall show thread resides in the Anime forum. I'm also someone who usually reads the forum but few of the articles referenced, so I have read only a small number of the reviews to which the Talkback threads pertain. Still since the focus in these threads is so often on the material in the show itself, and much less on the review, I tend to post in the episode threads because they seem more active.
lys

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:52 pm Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
There's just one tiny thing that bothered me about this episode: spoiler[Victor and Yurio at the dock and Victor's face was darken by the sun lighting him from behind. Yurio even states that the old Victor was dead and Victor grabs Yuuri by the chin angrily.] He even states that Yuuri brought out another "L" word: Life, love, and the only word I could think of was spoiler[Lie]. ;w; .....just when I could relax and enjoy spoiler[Yuuri and Victor being the first openly gay married anime couple in a sports anime (my voice was higher than a tea kettle)] those few minutes sobered the hell out of me!! (o_____O)

Please PLEASE tell me that I'm reading too much into that scene because I really don't want this upbeat series to end in such a sour dramatic twist. That moment brought me back to episode 1 with Vic starring so intensely at Yuuri's video that I can't help but, think "AH I KNEW I COULDN'T TRUST THIS GUY"!

I don't think there's anything suspicious in that scene? Rewatching, and listening to the Japanese audio as best I can, it only seems to be saying spoiler[other people besides Victor have found their "L-words" (meaning the same "Life"/"Love" previously referred to) from Yuuri (for example, Yurio finding his passion for skating, more than just a desire to win). I didn't get anything about other words beginning with L.]

As for which thread to comment in, I guess I go with whichever has the most discussion already. Sometimes that's the one in the Anime forum, but for this show at least it seems to be the review thread here, so...
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:13 am Reply with quote
lys wrote:
keichitsu0305 wrote:

I don't think there's anything suspicious in that scene? Rewatching, and listening to the Japanese audio as best I can, it only seems to be saying spoiler[other people besides Victor have found their "L-words" (meaning the same "Life"/"Love" previously referred to) from Yuuri (for example, Yurio finding his passion for skating, more than just a desire to win). I didn't get anything about other words beginning with L.]

I do believe you were reading a bit much into the scene. I just watched the episode a second time (the second hand embarrassment was way less the second time during the ending moments) and specifically looked for when Victor mentioned anything about a third "L" during his face-off with Yurio. What he specifically says is this: "If I'd stayed in Russia as a competitor, Yurio wouldn't be this motivated to fight. And neither would I... Yuri, you may not realize this, but many others besides me got their "L" words from you." So that little face-off between the two of them was more of a positive thing than a negative - that their motivation to compete is a form of Life and perhaps even Love. The face-off was more like a pre-game smack talk between two highly motivated and competitive people.

Now that I have gotten that bit out of the way, lemme go into Official Fangirl Mode and --

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

While I still think that episode 7 is my favorite, this one is a close second. Wow, Victor's eyes and face has been quite expressive the past few episodes. In both the church scene and the final end scene with Yuri's drunken request that he becomes his coach, his eyes started to shine with genuine emotion. So I am guessing that that has been the only time that someone has requested such a thing from him, and passionately so, which is why it moved him so much. He has had fans and admirers, and has made promises to other competitors, but this is the first time someone searched him out and requested his presence and help. It left an impression because he was wanted and needed.

Augh, so many feels!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: Actually this episode may now be my favorite. It just keeps getting better over time. And I am so f***ing wired right now I don't think I am going to get any sleep tonight.

Last edited by Crisha on Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:58 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:23 am Reply with quote
THANK YOU lys + willag!!!

That explains the "L word" dialogue; I just misread it!! Now I think about it, with only two episodes left, the main focus will be on the Final anyway so there's no room for sudden twists anyway; glad that's been cleared up. I'm just in hyper sensitive mode because well...*sniff* I want these dorks to be happy no matter what the results are~ Very Happy

I'm still waiting for a possiblespoiler[ wedding/where are they now? OVA to come with the 6 volume and the eventual fashionable engagement rings like what the Rebuild of Eva did]. *spoiler(?) link*
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:38 am Reply with quote
The word that crossed my mind was "loser," something else that might be attributed to Yuuri. I don't know if we're supposed to draw that conclusion or not.
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:58 am Reply with quote
EDIT : So my opinions and interpretation of Victor have changed since I first made this post. I feel like what I have written below is far more cynical than what YOI presents us.

All right, so I watched some of the first few episodes again and laid awake for about 30 more minutes last night thinking on this series before finally falling asleep and getting about 2.5 hours of rest before needing to get up again. Oh man, this series...

Anyways, it's been really interesting trying to piece together what exactly has been going on in Victor's mind this entire series, and episode 10 delivers us a major piece of the puzzle. Up until then, we only got Yuri's thoughts and POV and had to guess on what Victor was thinking based on his actions and facial expressions. Episode 10 was told from Victor's POV, and his thoughts confirmed that, yes, he did love Yuri. In his own words, he said that he closed himself off from Life and Love for 20 years and Yuri returned it to him. Episode 10 also revealed to us how the whole affair was started (Yuri drunkenly seduced Victor - who was clearly receptive of the attention given the photos and video taken - and requested that he become his coach), and also showed that Victor had been under the impression the entire time during his 8 months as Yuri's coach that Yuri remembered his drunken shenanigans.

So, cue back to the first episode. Yuri states that the Grand Prix took place in December the previous year - he self-destructed and fell into a slump that he couldn't pull himself out of. After the Grand Prix, he attempted to qualify for other competitions (the World and some others) that Victor also participated in and was apparently getting gold medals across the board. In March, Yuri's season ends and he returns back to his home town to decide on what to do. Yuri doesn't indicate at any point in time during his slump that he interacted with Victor - the last memory he has is Victor offering a photo right after Yuri's Grand Prix loss. Yuri tries to re-inspire himself by copying Victor's free skate routine, the video gets uploaded, Victor sees it and decides to make his way over to become Yuri's coach. Victor creates the Eros routine for Yuri and has several seductive moments where he comes on to Yuri a little strong, which flusters Yuri and makes him back off.

So what are Victor's thoughts in all of this?

Well, from his POV, Yuri was a charming young man who seduced him, requested him to be his coach, and then ignored him for several months afterwards. Surely Victor would have seen Yuri at the competitions they both participated in after the Grand Prix, but Yuri never interacted with him, caught up in his own mental issues and break down. Still, Victor is under the impression that Yuri remembers the previous events and is now ignoring him. Cue several months later when he sees Yuri's copy cat video. Victor doesn't look necessarily happy over it, but seems to come to some decision after watching the video. If it is unhappiness that he's feeling, then it would be understandable - here's this Casanova that demanded his attention then tossed him aside and is now trying to grab his attention again.

I personally think that Victor probably had dual intentions by following Yuri to his home town. I do think that there was a part of him that genuinely wanted to give it a try again and possibly rekindle something, but I also think he was trying to get back at Yuri by returning the favor and guilting him for "leading" Victor on. At the end of episode one, when Yuri rushes into the hot springs to confirm Victor's presence, Victor has a frown and/or blasé face before kicking up the Charm to 110% and saying he'll be Yuri's new coach (likely an act). In the next episode, he creates the Eros routine for Yuri about a Casanova that tosses aside the affections of a scorned lover and moves on to the next lover. Victor is that scorned lover, and Yuri is that Casanova.

Following that comes a couple of scenes that make more sense with this new context. While on the ice, Victor gets up in Yuri's face, with a seductive look on his own face, and states that no one understands Yuri's true Eros. Additionally, Victor comes on to Yuri inside the Inn, his robe falling off his shoulder, saying that they need to build a trust between the two of them. Yuri quickly backs off and Victor looks kind of shocked by his reaction. From his POV, Yuri seduced him first, so why is he getting bashful all of a sudden?

How much of this is Victor trying to get back at Yuri for "scorning" him and how much is him genuinely trying to rekindle something and taking Yuri's request for a coach seriously? I don't know. But I imagine it's more of the former than the latter initially, and over time it becomes more of the latter. I think Victor's kiss in episode 7 was kind of the break through moment for him.

Overall, this is a genius move on the part of the director and writer. Everything about the directing and writing for these first 10 episodes has been so well-done. I am over-the-moon for this series.

Last edited by Crisha on Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:35 pm; edited 9 times in total
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:22 am Reply with quote
So apparently the pole dancing animation in the ending is pretty legit.
http://togetter.com/li/1057255
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I haven't finished reading the review, but there's a glaring misunderstanding here

Quote:
And from Victor's point of view, Yuuri's cold treatment of him at the airport post-grand Prix must have been a confusion rejection

The commemorative photo scene takes place BEFORE the banquet where Yuuri goes freak. It's not an airport scene at all, this takes place in the Sochi Sports Palace, right after the Finals are over. There are a few comparative photos going around already to prove it. The banquet would have taken place a day or two after that. So the timeline is first, Yuuri loses the GPF miserably and Victor mistakes Yuuri for a fan and Yuuri gives him the cold shoulder, then at the banquet Yuuri gets really bleeping drunk and begs Victor to be his coach, not the other way around

Quote:
The biggest criticism there is to be made of Yuri!!! on Ice in terms of queer representation is that it doesn't depict any of the very real persecution and Victor would face in real life.

Kubo recently tweeted that she explicitly wanted to create a world in which people wouldn't get prosecuted or hate for who they chose to love, and that she's willing to protect that utopian world with all her might http://lookiamnotcreative.tumblr.com/post/154206183702/no-matter-what-everyone-in-the-real-world-thinks
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Gabriella wrote:
Quote:
And the final dance party is, without exaggeration, the greatest thing I've ever seen in my life…

Amen to that, sister!

I don't really have the time to talk about everything in this ep. that i loved (which was pretty much...well, everything), but that ED is absolutely glorious - the perfect union of top-notch fanservice and ingenious writing! Very Happy
Valhern

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:08 pm Reply with quote
It's very weird how, after 9 episodes, the most expressive piece in Yuri!!! on Ice has been an ED of still images. I don't know who drew them, but those illustrations are glorious, not because of their meaning only, but if I watched them alone, I could understand everything about every character in there, it's incredible.

And it also makes me laugh a lot, Yurio's face and poses in the dance-off are the best, I can totally see him being challenged by Yuuri and him being like "TRY ME, SHITHEAD" and he dances so angrily. Awesome.

Just mentioning that, since everyone else already talked about everything in the episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 29