• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Anime Premieres Tonight on Toonami

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mewzard

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:19 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Having 3 episodes per DVD isn't bad. The Simpsons is usually 6 episodes per disc. Heck, most US live action shows are at about 125 minutes of content per disc. It's not a stretch, considering most movies are on single DVDs too and they tend to be around that length.

It's not three episodes per DVD. It's the entirety of Phantom Blood (all nine episodes) on one DVD. The three DVDs hold all of Phantom Blood and all of Battle Tendency (26 episodes).
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:19 am Reply with quote
Lelouch Vi wrote:
My own problem is the fact that and I've mentioned this before, that Jojo's dub actor is Johnny Young Bosch yet again and I've gotten tired of hearing his voice at this point

Good. It's a good thing he's annoying you.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:20 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Having 3 episodes per DVD isn't bad. The Simpsons is usually 6 episodes per disc. Heck, most US live action shows are at about 125 minutes of content per disc. It's not a stretch, considering most movies are on single DVDs too and they tend to be around that length.

That's not what TheMorry said, the Jojo DVDs, which I also own, has all 26 episodes on 3 DVDs (9 + 9 + 8) with the only somewhat positive thing here being that all of Phantom Blood is on the first disc.

In addition to the mentioned dubtitles, none of the openings are subbed...except for episode 18 but they even botched that by using the first opening's song lyrics. Rolling Eyes
Lelouch Vi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Lelouch Vi wrote:
Since it's my first time seeing the series(I've heard about it, never watched it) I think the show is cool. My own problem is the fact that and I've mentioned this before, that Jojo's dub actor is Johnny Young Bosch yet again and I've gotten tired of hearing his voice at this point

Well, you also named yourself after a character he voices too.

The Johnny Power Hour is back again, in any case, between him as Jonathan in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and Orga in Iron Blooded Orphans. Both have 8 episodes remaining, if I'm counting correctly, so if they both air on the same night every time, the Johnny Power Hour will outright disappear once again.[/quote]

I feel like I'll probably end up making this point over and over again each time I say this but Lelouch is my favorite character and Bleach aside Code Geass was one of the first anime i heard JYB in. After that it was Izaya Orihara next and from there it's been a frenzy, I drew the line when I heard him as Vash the Stampede now I almost cringe every time I hear his voice
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Lelouch Vi wrote:
Lelouch Vi wrote:
Since it's my first time seeing the series(I've heard about it, never watched it) I think the show is cool. My own problem is the fact that and I've mentioned this before, that Jojo's dub actor is Johnny Young Bosch yet again and I've gotten tired of hearing his voice at this point

Well, you also named yourself after a character he voices too.

The Johnny Power Hour is back again, in any case, between him as Jonathan in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and Orga in Iron Blooded Orphans. Both have 8 episodes remaining, if I'm counting correctly, so if they both air on the same night every time, the Johnny Power Hour will outright disappear once again.

I feel like I'll probably end up making this point over and over again each time I say this but Lelouch is my favorite character and Bleach aside Code Geass was one of the first anime i heard JYB in. After that it was Izaya Orihara next and from there it's been a frenzy, I drew the line when I heard him as Vash the Stampede now I almost cringe every time I hear his voice[/quote]

I take it you have no experience the industry, do you?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Mewzard wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:

It's not three episodes per DVD. It's the entirety of Phantom Blood (all nine episodes) on one DVD. The three DVDs hold all of Phantom Blood and all of Battle Tendency (26 episodes).

Oh, okay. I thought you meant that the 9 episodes of Phantom Blood were spread out over 3 discs, which to me would've been a completely reasonable amount.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:11 pm Reply with quote
TrueZangetsu wrote:

Honestly I'm not even sure if all that over acting in a the anime was unintentional y the source material is certainly unintentionally funny.
Even speedwagon is afraid! I think they knew exactly what they do when they made the anime and both anime dubs (Japanese and English)

At least if you're going to cover your backside you could at least name the person whose quote you're jacking. That aside though unintentional comedy just like intentional comedy is YMMV fare and even with those elements Phantom Blood is still not funny for the most part.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:13 am Reply with quote
I was surprised to hear that the Yes song "Roundabout" is one of the songs for this show. Surprised I've heard it a few times but to have this song in an anime,is interesting in and of itself. It's a little weird since the first part of this is set in Victorian Britain. You'd think that they'd do a song that's a little closer to the era in question,but hey. That wasn't my choice,that was Mr. Araki's.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:28 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I was surprised to hear that the Yes song "Roundabout" is one of the songs for this show. Surprised I've heard it a few times but to have this song in an anime,is interesting in and of itself. It's a little weird since the first part of this is set in Victorian Britain. You'd think that they'd do a song that's a little closer to the era in question,but hey. That wasn't my choice,that was Mr. Araki's.

There wasn't any progressive rock in that era, though!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3