• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Izetta: The Last Witch

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrescentWolf

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:16 pm Reply with quote
@Invalidname
Thank you for making those gifs, I'm glad I'm not the only one who loved Sophie's twisted smile, I'm sure I'll be able to put it to good use lol. I'd love to learn how to make my own someday, maybe I'll google how in a bit.

On the topic of the finale, I'm quite glad Izetta survived. I had a huge frown on my face at the end until they actually showed her. I'm guessing besides being permanently crippled she might also be disfigured, which might explain why they didn't show her face.

But the fact she's alive and can live the rest of her life with Fine just puts my heart at ease.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:47 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
^Well I think the USA comes of better in Izetta than the real one at least in terms of nukes. They get to be the ones to decry the strategic foolishness of nuclear weapons (though not the ones that decry the horror of its use) before they even develop it, possibly leading to them not developing it at all, barring opportunistic hypocrisy, though considering they defeat Germany early and (possibly) don't fight Japan at all, it may not even need to be developed in the US military opinion. And the ones that do complete it are not-Nazi Germany, so all in all the US gets to be the good guy on the issue of nukes at least and the evil of those weapons gets pinned on the group most people consider the worst most evil regime ever (though there are other candidates).

No, the whole true nuclear weapon development is more a case of being outside of the scope of the story. The Einstein-Szilard Letter, which was responsible for touching off America's push to make atomic bombs, was delivered to President Roosevelt in October 1939, so assuming equivalent circumstances in this world, Atlanta would already have been in development of such a weapon at the time of this story. Given the way the alt-Americans are portrayed in this story, my guess is that they'd probably continue the development even after Germania's defeat.

But again, that's outside of the scope of the story.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:39 am Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Desa wrote:
Goddammit that ending was bull$h|t! The Germanians shouldn't have lost. Before Izetta entered the picture the Germanians were about to wipe Elystadt off the map with technological and numerical superiority. Izetta only served as a pause button for the inevitable. As soon as she was out of the picture it should've been "resume ownage; New World Order incoming".

Why? That's nonsense. "Wiping Elystadt off the map" does not equal winning WWII; consider that the anime had already established that they had conquered the alt-France and Benelux countries, as well as alt-Austria. Elystadt was a tiny country in the Alps and much less important; that they had a heroic defense comparable to that of Finland in the Winter War before losing was not going to change the overall contours of the war other than a pause. However, the "pause button" meant that they failed to invade the alt-Britain (a failure as big as what the Dunkirk movie will explore.) The entry of the alt-US Atlanta into the war, combined with the foolish breaking of the alliance with the alt-Soviet Union, and the loss of the Germanian Witches of Mass Destruction program spelled certain doom for the Germanians. Remember that the existence of Izetta was repeatedly stated to be the one thing keeping the US out of the war (in this alternate world where Japan wasn't involved and didn't attack Pearl Harbor.)

Certainly in the short run Elystadt would be overrun, but Fine was certainly already positioned for a government-in-exile by being at that meeting. It would have been utterly inconsistent with everything stated in the show for the Germanians to win in the long run.

If you want to complain about that ending, you should have been complaining throughout most of the previous episodes, since it was the only natural conclusion from all the foreshadowing and plot commentary. It doesn't seem like you were, though.

I did like the Berkman as Wernher von Braun scene, very nice. (A little different than how von Braun was treated, of course, but still meant to note the US relying on former Nazi rocket scientists.)

Berkman at the end reminded me much more of the character played by Max von Sydow in Three Days of the Condor. (If you haven't seen that old classic, I highly recommend it.) I don't think he was supposed to be at ALL reminiscent of von Braun.
WeNTuS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:37 am Reply with quote
Izetta being in a middle of literally nuclear explosion - survived. How convenient for Fine.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:38 am Reply with quote
Theron wrote:
With its final episode, Izetta: The Last Witch delivers on its initial promise and stays true to its nature from back in episode one.

True: it did have magic battles featuring war tanks and Finé being good for a part.

Theron wrote:
Those who didn't give up on the series due to some of the problems it's had along the way will be rewarded for their patience.

Oh how I disagree. Ever since the 5th episode not one of them had a positive rating from me, including the ending - not that it was particularly terrible compared to the others. I really should've dropped this early on all things considered.

Theron wrote:
I didn't feel that it cheapened Finé's emotional reactions to Izetta's sacrifice enough to be a problem

This was my major issue with the episode. Izetta's loyalty towards Finé is contrasted against Sophie throughout their battle, but then she... doesn't die, gets a maid, and Finé visiting her all the time. Regardless of how much you have to suspend your disbelief in order for Izetta to even survive that explosion (that also apparently didn't affect anything in its surroundings, because somehow Izetta managed to aim the explosion upwards), it cheapens both Finé's and Izetta's decision so much, to me.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:16 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
This was my major issue with the episode. Izetta's loyalty towards Finé is contrasted against Sophie throughout their battle, but then she... doesn't die, gets a maid, and Finé visiting her all the time. Regardless of how much you have to suspend your disbelief in order for Izetta to even survive that explosion (that also apparently didn't affect anything in its surroundings, because somehow Izetta managed to aim the explosion upwards), it cheapens both Finé's and Izetta's decision so much, to me.

The explosion being channeled upward could have been a deliberate action by Izetta, but more likely it was intended to be symbolic of magic leaving the world. (How many other anime and non-anime series/movies have we seen where a beam of light to the heavens indicates departure from a world?) And I don't find it at all a stretch that Izetta retained just enough magic to keep herself alive and get her back to the ground. Sophie couldn't do that since she was the one being overpowered.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:46 am Reply with quote
Man, I feel there was a huge opportunity for spoiler[Fine and Izetta to kiss on screen], and that could have made this forever memorable and daring despite the obvious flaws this show had!

I still enjoyed this series regardless, and frankly I'm going to indulge on this for quite a while based on this realization. When's the NEXT TIME we're getting an original anime starring female leads like Izetta and Fine with an epic scope found in this show?! Seriously, they could have easily gone the easy route and made the story about a prince and a witch and be psuedo-harem-y considering it has Bianca and the all-female royal guards, a cute small maid, and a buxom not!American character at their disposal.
phatmlrd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7 was the definitive episode for me. The bedroom scene with Izetta and Fine was adorable. The fight at the end was the most creative when it came to mixing magic with modern weaponry. It's twist and turns made for a suspenseful watch and seeing Izetta rely on her resourcefulness to win made for a satisfying conclusion.

The chemistry between Izetta and Fine was definitely the highlight for me, followed by the fight scenes. Way too much time spent on the overarching plot and politics for me. But anything with an adorable Yuri couple and great action is still a win in my book.
cutslo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
killjoy_the wrote:

The explosion being channeled upward could have been a deliberate action by Izetta, but more likely it was intended to be symbolic of magic leaving the world. (How many other anime and non-anime series/movies have we seen where a beam of light to the heavens indicates departure from a world?) And I don't find it at all a stretch that Izetta retained just enough magic to keep herself alive and get her back to the ground. Sophie couldn't do that since she was the one being overpowered.

It's pointless to argue about what magic 'splosions can and can't do, it's just pretty ridiculous to specifically hinge your dramatic climax on the heroic sacrifice of a main character and then invalidate that because anything else "would be too sad". You can't have it both ways.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:54 pm Reply with quote
cutslo wrote:
It's pointless to argue about what magic 'splosions can and can't do, it's just pretty ridiculous to specifically hinge your dramatic climax on the heroic sacrifice of a main character and then invalidate that because anything else "would be too sad". You can't have it both ways.

She may not be sacrificing her life, but she is sacrificing her magic. Given that such is a huge deal for a witch (especially when Izetta has learned to feel happy about her magic for the first time in a long time), I still think it qualifies as enough of a sacrifice for the situation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 18 of 18