• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Voice Actors Get Re-Cast In Sequels and Reboots?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:18 am Reply with quote
Personally, I prefer quality over consistency. If you can find somebody better to play a role when doing a second season or a remake, or it's a new dub studio, then don't bother getting back the original voice actor. Get somebody better. Frankly, a lot of people's nostalgia fee-fees are just nonsense that drags down the quality of productions.

Granted, consistency does have its merits, and if the cast is already good, then yes, by all means, try to get them back, but it's really a case-by-case basis with me. It's just like Arise not having the cast of Stand Alone Complex. It would have been neat if Funimation got the SAC cast, but they're in a different area, it's a different incarnation, being handled by a different studio. Even the Japanese cast was different. There's no expectation for consistency with the SAC English cast in that case.

Then there's the Rebuild of Evangelion cast, where Funimation brought on only the dub voices of Shinji, Asuka, and Misato from the ADV dub of the TV show. Frankly, I'd have preferred if they recast Shinji and Asuka, since their VAs have been butchering those roles ever since they first got them, but apparently there was some demand for their return. Did people really want Spencer back as Shinji because they like him in the role o because it's just consistent? I wonder.

Again, it's case by case. I'm glad the folks who badly dubbed in DBZ by and large (with a few exceptions) improved for DBZ Kai (though with decades of reprising the roles for video games, it would have been surprising if they hadn't improved dramatically). But I also felt most of them were outshined by the people who replaced some of the old VAs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:25 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Speaking of miracles, it's crazy that Tōru Furuya sounds exactly the same as Amuro Ray in Gundam the Origin IV, just released, as he did back in the 1979 original. Shūichi Ikeda sounds much more deep voiced and epic, but Amuro is the same. They recast everyone else though.

Regarding recasts, what really astonishes me is that Anthony del Rio sounds exactly the same voicing Pit in Super Smash Bros. 4 as Lani Minella did voicing Pit in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. That is, a man nails a performance previously voiced by a woman.

Paiprince wrote:
Then there's the case of the source material aging them up so as keeping the same seiyuu wouldn't make sense like with the upcoming Cardcaptor Sakura anime. It would be very weird to have Syaoran sound the same as he was in elementary.

Son Goku sounds exactly the same in Dragon Ball when he was 12 as he does in Dragon Ball Super when he's...in his forties, I think? Well, in Japanese, at least. (In every other language I've heard a Dragon Ball dub in, they recast Goku as an adult.)

russ869 wrote:
What's also interesting is when they recast all the voices for a remake but a lot of the same voice actors are still in the new show just playing different characters (usually bit parts). I think Fullmetal Alchemist and Hunter X Hunter had some of these.

While not precisely a remake per se, it was kind of funny when Sean Schemmel voiced Wapol for 4Kids's One Piece dub, then was hired by FUNimation to voice Indigo for FUNimation's One Piece dub, especially as the One Piece Podcast had Schemmel show up in an interview with J. Michael Tatum (he had happened to walk on by) after the Wapol role but before he was cast for Indigo. Tatum asked him if he's voiced for One Piece, upon which he hesitated and nervously said that he voiced for the 4Kids dub.

JRPictures wrote:
I'm pretty sure Kari will be back for the the upcoming seasons of FLCL, the head of Toonami stated they intend to bring back both the Japanese and English casts of the show. Besides she's still pops up in anime from time to time, recent examples being Fate/Zero, F/SN Unlimited Blade Works, Nagato Yuki-chan, Durarara x2 etc. I wouldn't sweat it.

You can tell when someone's REALLY passionate about anime voice acting because they'll continue to play roles in addition to higher-paying roles, like those of video games and western animation. I remember David Lodge retiring, for instance (Kenpachi in Bleach, Jiraiya in Naruto), his stated reasons being that they weren't paying as much as his other work. For Jiraiya, I believe Steve Kramer stepped in (not entirely sure on that though), but Lodge reprised his role for the video games.

I don't mean this as a knock on Lodge or anything like that, and I respect his decision to retire from anime voice acting.

Jonny Mendes wrote:
But they are idols. They are promoted by big talent and voice actor management companies as idols. Some are music idols and child idols before voice acting.

They are idols, but they are idols for a narrow, dedicated group of fans. They are idols in the same sense that Yeardley Smith or John Swartzwelder are idols to Simpsons fans, the same sense that François Trauffaut or Sergei Eisenstein are idols to film historians, and the same sense that Angus McLane or Ronnie del Carmen are idols to Pixar fans. The public may have heard of these names here and there, but they don't care about them to nearly the same level as those who are actually into what these people do.

penguintruth wrote:
Then there's the Rebuild of Evangelion cast, where Funimation brought on only the dub voices of Shinji, Asuka, and Misato from the ADV dub of the TV show. Frankly, I'd have preferred if they recast Shinji and Asuka, since their VAs have been butchering those roles ever since they first got them, but apparently there was some demand for their return. Did people really want Spencer back as Shinji because they like him in the role o because it's just consistent? I wonder.

Well, I did like Spike Spencer's performance in some of his other roles. He's superb as Arakune in the BlazBlue games, for instance. (Then again, he has repeatedly mentioned in his interviews he prefers to voice crazy, unhinged people, and Arakune is exactly that.)

You also have people like Christopher Sabat, who started out not that good but improved by leaps and bounds over the years; and people like Andrea Libman, who are good at acting but were hamstrung by being in works whose voice directors didn't take seriously.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:24 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Frankly, I'd have preferred if they recast Shinji and Asuka, since their VAs have been butchering those roles ever since they first got them, but apparently there was some demand for their return. Did people really want Spencer back as Shinji because they like him in the role o because it's just consistent? I wonder.

I disagree about the butchering. As for Spike, I've always liked his voice and so do a lot of folks. He was great as Felt in Atelier Iris 2, to name an example.
REL-84

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:35 am Reply with quote
russ869 wrote:
Interesting how the original question was about Berserk being recast, and then Justin starts talking about English dub voice actors moving from Texas to LA. But the Berserk dub wasn't recast at all. They managed to bring back just about all the original dub voices (although Kevin T. Collins sounds a lot different).

What's also interesting is when they recast all the voices for a remake but a lot of the same voice actors are still in the new show just playing different characters (usually bit parts). I think Fullmetal Alchemist and Hunter X Hunter had some of these.

I also find the difference between the dub and the original voice cast in Berserk interesting. I do believe that, considering the reinterpretation of Griffith in the movies (visually and personality-wise he's more youthful, playful) that Takahiro Sakurai makes a great role-interpretation. In the original anime he had a much more stern, manly appearance, much due to the performance of Toshiyuki Morikawa, but also visually. He was no teenager (or didn't feel like one, I'm not fan enough to know the details). But in the movies they transform Griffith, and thus is makes sense to choose a different VA.

On HxH: Though Hiroki Takahashi's performance of Hisoka is one of the more original role-interpretations I've heard (and I love him in this role), he makes an excellent Parison Hill in the 2011-edition. It's not a bad choice of recast and Daisuke Namikawa is also perfect as Hisoka. I think Berserk and HxH both managed to nail near perfect role-castings for both the original and reboot somehow. Once the character designs change and the direction of the anime it starts to make sense to also look at a change in cast.

Though I don't agree with the change of Morikawa as Tyki Mikk. I don't know who replaced him but most of the recast, Mikk included, is just so bland and uninspired that I simply can't approve. Goes for the changes of Kanda (Takahiro Sakurai) and Lavi (Kenichi Suzumura) and others. Unmemorable performances by VAs who might mature in the future but right now simply don't have the ability get the show to take off (well the anime had other issues also, still, great voice acting could have helped alieve some of that).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4