• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Nozomi Entertainment Plans Revolutionary Girl Utena BD Release for 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:39 pm Reply with quote
CaptainAvatar wrote:
Now, can we get a Blu-Ray release of Irresponsible Captain Tyler?

This might change now after Galaxy Angel's release but Japan's Blu-ray release of Tylor was upscaled. It didn't look bad from the one screencap I saw years ago but it didn't look much different from Nozomi's remastered DVDs either so don't expect better quality whenever they do get around to releasing it on BD.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who doesn't mind the dub? I really like Utena's dubbed voice. That's the only reason why I stick with it.

Anyway, I just bought the re release last year so I won't be buying this set.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:49 pm Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
Am I the only one who doesn't mind the dub? I really like Utena's dubbed voice. That's the only reason why I stick with it.

The only voice I had a real issue with was Anthy but other than that it was tolerable. They did improve for the better with the movie but that may have had more to do with Ikuhara being involved with that dub.
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:05 pm Reply with quote
I've been waiting for this! Honestly, kind of sad our window is the entire year. Considering upon original announcement the window was the entirety of 2016, but it's better than what happened to the bandai entertainment titles.
varmintx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Hawkmonger wrote:
Do Nozomi tend to region lock their BDs?

If you follow the tweet the story links to, you'll find they answer that they cannot have the discs be Region Free due to license restrictions.

The dub's really not THAT bad, at least once you get past the first arc. Whenever the BDs get released, I'll be watching it in Japanese anyway.

This, Wolf's Rain, and GitS: SAC means I'll actually be buying some anime this year. I mean, all of it's old, but at least I'll be buying some.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I own the excellent remastered DVD sets, but I might double dip if it's enough of an upgrade. The existing sets have great PQ, great packaging, and tons of extras. The director's liner notes are especially interesting, and helpful in understanding the complex themes and messages of the show. I also enjoyed the artwork galleries. Utena had a really low budget, but Ikuhara knew how to get the most out of his staff.

I don't really mind the dub too much, but it's the one I watched 10 years ago, so I have a bit of a soft spot for it. It significantly improves in quality once you get past the first 13 episodes, since 14-39 and the movie were recorded years later, and had a much better director. Plus Rachael Lillis, Crispin Freeman, Lisa Ortiz, and Liam O'Brien are amazing in everything they do. The show is worth watching in both languages. The Japanese version has legends like the late Tomoko Kawakami, Kotono Mitsuishi, Takeshi Kusao, and Aya Hisakawa.
Holo Wolfgod

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:53 pm Reply with quote
upscale?
kakoishii

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:55 pm Reply with quote
To double dip or not to double dip, that is the question. It's hard for me to fathom a better release than the original dvd remasters. The packaging was gorgeous, it had suitable extras, it was priced reasonably. I'd only consider it at this point if they managed to do something incredible with the BD release, otherwise I'm perfectly pleased with my DVD sets.
levonr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:33 pm Reply with quote
side by side comparison:

Holo Wolfgod wrote:
upscale?

No. Most old cel animation is not upscale.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Utena on blu-ray is an easy double-dip for me, regardless of what the dub sounds like (I prefer the late Tomoko Kawakami anyways, bless her soul)

I'm hoping for some really nice box art Smile
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:25 pm Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
Utena on blu-ray is an easy double-dip for me, regardless of what the dub sounds like (I prefer the late Tomoko Kawakami anyways, bless her soul)

Personally, I'm hoping for the gorgeous anniversary box art. Make it happen, Nozomi! Very Happy
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Holo Wolfgod wrote:
upscale?

No, it was remastered in HD. The show has some aliasing issues but not as bad as on the DVDs plus the movie didn't have any of it at all like that DVD did.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:02 am Reply with quote
I've never owned Utena before, so I hope it was worth holding out for all these years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:17 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I've never owned Utena before, so I hope it was worth holding out for all these years.

Same here. Had the remastered DVDs wishlisted, but removed them from the list once I heard about the U.S. Blu-ray release.
Norbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:04 am Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:

Yes, a nice box would be a start. The art for the last release was nice too, but those boxes looked and felt really cheap when you held them in your hands.

I had the Nozomi releases for ages now, but that transfer with the zipper-like lines really put me off so I'm really looking forward to the blu-ray release.

Also, if the new release doesn't include those substantial (both image and written stuff) booklets I'll still be keeping the Nozomi DVD sets.

So now that we have on blu-ray Gurren Lagann, Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne; the upcoming Utena, along with Legend of the Galactic Heroes, all we now need to complete any serious/true anime collectors anime collection is an English friendly Evangelion TV release. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3