• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sailor Moon R Movie

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryoukosan245

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:01 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Chiibi wrote:
But it was less stupid. :/

It is a problem if changing the dialogue makes the characters way more stupid than they actually are and Usagi was the biggest victim who suffered this....poor thing.

I assume those changes were made because DiC wasn't sure how younger viewers would react to such a vastly different culture and its portrayal of girls. Probably they went with the "valley girl" approach because that's what most folks were familiar with at the time.

That doesn't make the dub any less crap, that just makes it sound like your typical 4kids dub.

In my opinion the DiC/Cloverway dub of Sailor Moon is up there with the 4Kids dub of One Piece in terms of being a shit dub.

Thank god for companies like Viz Media & Funimation, companies who actually know how to deliver a quality dub.

Last edited by ryoukosan245 on Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:07 pm; edited 3 times in total
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Ah, MAN!

I re-read the article and am disappointed to find Viz STILL committed an old cardinal sin...

They repeated an old "Viz-ism" AND didn't SUBTITLE the song lyrics?!?!?!?!?
That was one of the things that bugged the hell out of me about the Viz Maison Ikkoku DVD sets... None of the songs were subtitled on those releases, either!

Pioneer did the same thing ALL the time with their anime DVDs as well!

Oh well, I was pretty much decided that I would skip the local movie showings of Sailor Moon R. I DIDN'T like the $15 ticket price... I know there was some cosplay/local con tie-in to the movie but that's a high ticket price... That's THREE-D movie pricing and I NEVER go to those. The lack of subs on the songs unfortunately DO kill the last enthusiasm I had for the movie showing. (I generally DO NOT go to local movie showings if anime when I know the home video release is less than 2 months away... Has Viz announced a street date for their release of Sailor Moon R: the movie yet?) ALL the showings were $15 in the area which is ridiculous!

Might as well save my money for the new Blu ray release.
I STILL have the old Pioneer DVD of the movie with the DiC cast dub... Be interesting to compare that with the new dub although I doubt I'll be listening much to the English track.

I hope the songs ARE subtitled on the new Blu ray release of the movie.
I might pop out the old Pioneer DVD of the movie and see if they DID or DIDN'T subtitle the song lyrics. You'd think by now everybody would be on the same page and realize most fans DO want subtitles for ALL the clear Japanese audio!
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:06 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
But after Madoka Magica and Magical Girl Raising Project, my thoughts about magical girl shows have changed. This movie seems to be different from the main series, so I might give it a go.

Unlike the examples named, this was back when it was just considered normal for the mainstream to LIKE magical girls, and with R-era Usagi, it's not hard to see why.

I can think of other examples (horror movies, classic sitcoms) where a generation became so saturated with the "ironic deconstruction", they grew up thinking it was the real thing, were curious to get a taste of the real thing, and found out that earnest old-school innocence was better than snobby retro-frustrated hatchet-jobs.
With Japan's current deconstructions of magical girls as a weapon against "horny girl-repressed otaku", this would be a good example of how much better the shows were back when they weren't made with passive hostility in mind.

whiskeyii wrote:
Regardless, this is definitely my favorite of the Sailor Moon movies, and it seems to have aged decently well. The part where all the Senshi reflect on their time with Usagi always hit me right in the feels.

If there's one feel-hit that hooks new fans in the sweet spot, it's the climax--
Back when the show was still on the air, and everyone thought the show was silly and trendy, I tried showing the movie to one non-fan, and they thought it was okay-but-girly.
Later on, they'd seen a few episodes, knew some of Mercury and Jupiter's backstory personality, and seeing the characters' reactions to "You don't know what it's like to be alone!" hooked the non-fan into a new appreciation for the show.

Plus, it's still got mid-R-series brat-era Chibi-Usa (who shoots Usagi with a dart gun, and tries to wake her out of unconsciousness by plugging her nose and mouth until she wakes up gasping for breath), so how can you resist that? Anime catgrin
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:12 pm Reply with quote
ryoukosan245 wrote:

In my opinion the DiC/Cloverway dub of Sailor Moon is up there with the 4Kids dub of One Piece in terms of being a shit dub.

Maybe so but it's an AMUSING shit dub when it's edited right!
I can't take Sailor Moon seriously even when listening to the JAPANESE audio. Again, it's like Dragonball Z. It's so over the top in places...! (One thing is has over DBZ -- a LOT less filler episodes!) I've seen enough of SM in Japanese to appreciate that, yeah, the main character is a ditz, period! Doesn't matter what language she's speaking!

The old DiC dub makes great character voice audio for DOOM WAD mods for that old videogame. I LOVE to listen to Terri Hawkes' Sailor Moon whine (in Doom) when my player character gets hit as I go through the corridors. You get at least 2 of the other Scouts (Venus and Jupiter definitely) and a few Negaverse villain voices in the Sailor Moon WAD, too.

The customability of Doom is what's kept the old game alive for almost 25 years!
There was practically another Golden Age of anime fandom on Doom for a while. You could hear Japanese Dragonball audio from Mod WAD's as well as complete customizations for Gatchaman and a few others.

Never did see a finished Ranma 1/2 WAD for Doom, though... Nothing that was finished other than a pack of skins and sounds for people to use...
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Ah, Sailor Moon R: The Movie. One of my favorite parts of the franchise. Kind of a run-of-the-mill "movie of the show" one-and-done tale, but the visuals are great and the finale has some genuine emotional punch to them. I even found the DiC dub, while vastly inferior to the Japanese version (and probably this new dub), was fairly good for that group, and even enjoyed "Power of Love", even if it was no "Moon Revenge".

I may actually purchase the Blu-Ray of this, if Viz doesn't screw up like they have with the quality of the TV shows' video.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:49 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
machetecat wrote:

My point isn't to rag on the Japanese version. I like the Japanese version a lot, but I played Promise of the Rose on VHS SO MUCH as a kid, that the tape is stretched and It's pretty much unwatchable now, and thanks to the whole decade of non-available content, trying to get the old dub on DVD is REALLY annoying and/or expensive.

For what it's worth, I have the old DVD, and it only has the old uncut dub which uses Moon Revenge. It does include the sequence with "Power of Love" as an extra, though. If you want the whole movie with that, you would have no choice but to find a better copy of the VHS.

Or find someone who recorded it off Toonami back in the day.

Eh, I liked The Power of Love a bit myself but it had already been used for that season's finale and sorta didn't fit the scene in the movie (then again, a lot of the DiC score was placed horribly for the TV/VHS versions of all 3 films).

GeorgeC wrote:
Ah, MAN!

I re-read the article and am disappointed to find Viz STILL committed an old cardinal sin...

They repeated an old "Viz-ism" AND didn't SUBTITLE the song lyrics?!?!?!?!?
That was one of the things that bugged the hell out of me about the Viz Maison Ikkoku DVD sets... None of the songs were subtitled on those releases, either!

This had also been an issue with the Hulu streams of Sailor Moon as well but they have subbed songs for the BDs & DVDs...except for the first half of S as the songs that played during episodes 99 & 102* are not subbed.

* - 102 had the same song played that played during episode 68 of R and it was subbed in the first R set.

Quote:
(I generally DO NOT go to local movie showings if anime when I know the home video release is less than 2 months away... Has Viz announced a street date for their release of Sailor Moon R: the movie yet?)

Yup, announced for April 18th.

http://www.rightstufanime.com/Sailor-Moon-R-The-Movie-Blu-ray-DVD
http://www.rightstufanime.com/Sailor-Moon-R-The-Movie-DVD
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:00 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Goddamn, but does that DiC dub sound awful!
Chiibi wrote:

I might be overstepping my boundaries here, nobann but if Momoji doesn't annoy you, it's doubtful that Usagi will. They're pretty similar; the immature, energetic blonde who cries whenever someone picks on them. Laughing
Very well, I'll check it out . . . someday!
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:33 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
ryoukosan245 wrote:

Maybe so but it's an AMUSING shit dub when it's edited right!
I can't take Sailor Moon seriously even when listening to the JAPANESE audio. Again, it's like Dragonball Z. It's so over the top in places...! (One thing is has over DBZ -- a LOT less filler episodes!) I've seen enough of SM in Japanese to appreciate that, yeah, the main character is a ditz, period! Doesn't matter what language she's speaking!

YES, IT DOES says the girl who watched all 200 episodes. Japanese Usagi isn't NEARLY as whiny and ditzy as (ew don't make me say it) Serena. (blech)

For example, one of the absolute most insulting changes: After Rei and Usagi bond closer in a skiing episode in the first season, Rei goes all tsundere at the end and acts like they're not actually good friends now. This makes Usagi cry because it hurts her feelings (and it would hurt anyone's feelings in this case). The dub changes it to her crying "because she doesn't want to ski anymore."

Because?

NO GOOD REASON. Character development!? Pfffft screw that! Who wants good writing in their cartoons!? Nope, we're going to make her the same crybaby she was in episode 01 BECAUSE "FUNNY". HUR HUR. Look, she's still such a baby! ISN'T THAT FUNNY?

And don't give me that stupid "Well, kids don't care about characters growing in the shows they watch" schlock.

Because I've seen character development in 11-minute cartoons on Nickelodeon.
SailorNaruto

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Due to unforseen circumstances I won't be able to see the movie in theaters Crying or Very sad. But it's fine, I'll just buy the blu-ray (although me doing that was already written in stone lol).

[quote="machetecat"]
Quote:
My annoyance is with the licensors who have pretty much assured that the Sailor Moon I grew up with is NEVER coming back, and even though I've bought the collector's edition of every season, and will get everything on bluray, because I REALLY, REALLY love this franchise, it continues to dishearten me greatly that something I loved so much as a kid and had to wait so long to be able to own it is still so dramatically different from the series I grew up with.

I understand where you're coming from and I feel you, but that was to be expected when Viz announced a new dub. It's basically an "out with the old, in with the new" type of situation. I mean yeah, I grew up with the DiC dub and I feel nostalgia for it, but I can't deny that how horrible it was, not to mention how inferior it is Viz's dub. But I'll always cherish it as a part of my childhood. Crying or Very sad
1dbad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping to catch this in theaters, but I'm not sure I'll be able to. In any case, I'll be getting the Blu-Ray as soon as it comes out.

Can't wait to see the Viz dub. It'll be nice hearing Moon Revenge in the dub, and Ben Diskin is a voice I never get tired of hearing. Plus seeing an English dub not desperately trying to cover up Fiore's feelings as friendship will be great.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Freaking Hey Arnold has better writing than this shit dub, it also aired in the 90s, and its target audience was younger than Sailor Moon's.

That reminds me. I think Helga was the first tsundere girl I'd ever seen in a U.S.-produced cartoon.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:47 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Chiibi wrote:
Freaking Hey Arnold has better writing than this shit dub, it also aired in the 90s, and its target audience was younger than Sailor Moon's.

That reminds me. I think Helga was the first tsundere girl I'd ever seen in a U.S.-produced cartoon.

I believe you are correct. Anime hyper And wonderfully complex character for a kids' show. The creator states she's his favorite for that reason. Helga's "dere-dere" side (lovey-dovey, you know) was actually his wife's idea, believe it or not. She didn't want to see another one-dimensional mean girl like Angelica.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Hey Arnold was definitely one of the pinnacle cartoons of the 90s. Practically every kid in the show had their own personal hang ups. I really enjoyed the poetry episode with Phoebe struggling to come clean with how she cheated and kept hearing Emily Dickinson chastising her through the trophy she won. Lots of cartoons have that "kid character cheats" episode and said kid figuring out whether or not confessing to it would be worse than continuing with the deception, but Phoebe's episode handled it pretty well. It didn't need to turn wacky (like in say Tiny Toon Adventures with Plucky dealing with confessing, or in Jimmy Neutron where nearly every parent/child team in the park admitted to cheating), it just showed that coming clean says more about you than pretending you did an outstanding job on a test or in a contest.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Alrighty folks let's keep it friendly and present our opinions civilly. Already had 2 reports from this thread. Thanks
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:45 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
The old DiC dub makes great character voice audio for DOOM WAD mods for that old videogame. I LOVE to listen to Terri Hawkes' Sailor Moon whine (in Doom) when my player character gets hit as I go through the corridors. You get at least 2 of the other Scouts (Venus and Jupiter definitely) and a few Negaverse villain voices in the Sailor Moon WAD, too.

The customability of Doom is what's kept the old game alive for almost 25 years!
There was practically another Golden Age of anime fandom on Doom for a while. You could hear Japanese Dragonball audio from Mod WAD's as well as complete customizations for Gatchaman and a few others.

Never did see a finished Ranma 1/2 WAD for Doom, though... Nothing that was finished other than a pack of skins and sounds for people to use...

Oh, I would've loved those--
All I had was the classic Star Trek Doom WAD, a couple of MST3K WADs (the Pinkies pursued you with "Saaand-storrm..."), a Holy Grail WAD, and my frequent marathon favorite, the Rocky & Bullwinkle WAD. (After dying/losing: Narrator: "Tune in for our next exciting episode: 'It's Only a Flesh Wound', or 'Better Dead Than Lead'!") Laughing

But Terri Hawkes's Moon? That would have been fun. More details, please.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3