• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Fullmetal Alchemist Film Reveals December 1 Opening, CG Alphonse

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Al looks pretty good, especially since CGI never seems to be Japan's forte (the "Death Note" and "Attack on Titan" movies come to mind).

Personally, looking at that trailer, it still isn't. Al looks like something from a really high-end video game cutscene, rather than something photorealistic. The shading is also slightly off from the surrounding environment, and in the shots where there's both CG special effects and Ed, Ed is not affected by the CG elements at all. At least blow dust and specks of dirt and pebbles at the actor as he's standing in front of that greenscreen.

Tylerr wrote:
maybe they could have just created a real life replica of the suit and had a giant guy inside of it.

Motion capture could work too. I only have one shot to work with, and Al barely moves in it, but it definitely looks like it was motion capture.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Tylerr wrote:

not really, it doesn't need to be made of heavy materials.

But then it would wind up looking cheap.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2