• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Haruhi Suzumiya in Gaza

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bahamut623

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:52 pm Reply with quote
We get it! Haruhi's licensed. No need for any more elaborate hints!
CGord

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:52 pm Reply with quote
There is no Haruhi but Haruhi.
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:00 pm Reply with quote
this is probably and accident. doing something like this cannot be a showing of fandom at an event like this during the hell thats going on over there. they probably just thought it was cute and posted it.

i dont think this is cool at all.
Meccanica

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:37 pm Reply with quote
While this is a serious issue, and not to be made light of, there is one thing to remember:

This is Haruhi we're talking about. There is no possibility that this is an 'accident' or 'coincidence'.
Drowning_Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:04 pm Reply with quote
About Dormcat's french newspaper here the translation (I altered some word to make it fits better in english but the whole meaning is there):

In the corridor filled with farewell messages for Oussama, eight years old and Ahmed, six years old, the school recess bell rings and the childs shouting begins like nothing never happened. But three days after the unfortunate event, the shock, the anger and the incomprehension is still present.

The two kids, and their other brother, sons of a colonel from the information services loyal to the president Mohamoud Abass' Fatah, were going to shool on Monday when they were killed in their car by armed men. Apparently targeted their father the colonel Bahaa Baaloucha wasn't in the car.

"The kids are asking me question that I can't answer. They asked who did this? Why kids? Are we gonna die, too?" explains the school principal. For her the death of the three kids will definetively affect the psychology and logic of the students, especially the one in their class. "They'll never forget what happened. Today it's a bit better but at the begining the were extremely frightened", she says sitting behind her desk.

" I am afraid to go to school, Im afraid they'll shoot us. When I heard of Oussama's death I said to my mom that I couldn't go to school on foot from now on" says student Hayat, eight years old with an hesitant voice.

"What's really shocking for them, with the death of those three kids, is the fact that they had been killed by Palestinian" and not by the Israeli army, explains Franz Altrenstrasser, psychologist at the "Médecin sans frontière" in Gaza. "This shoutout re-awakes fears of an civil war" he adds.
Vir

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I would also guess an image search to be the most likely source of the image. But that little girl didn't do it herself. Observe the size of the hand. These signs are part of a school project, and that particular sign was made by, or at least with the cooperation of, older students.

CGord wrote:

spoiler[
Don't forget the other Haruhi:
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/3838/1159779231746xa1.gif
]
omnistry

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Vir wrote:
I would also guess an image search to be the most likely source of the image. But that little girl didn't do it herself. Observe the size of the hand. These signs are part of a school project, and that particular sign was made by, or at least with the cooperation of, older students.

CGord wrote:

spoiler[
Don't forget the other Haruhi:
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/3838/1159779231746xa1.gif
]

LOL'D!!!!

Seriously, this was a Haruhi-tastic year. Ouran & TMOHS were not only two of the best shows of the year; but maybe of all time.
TAKAVAR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:50 pm Reply with quote
ummm yea , we watch anime in middle east too... and people actually live their daily lives in what some people here call "hell"...
Bottom line is, people live in middle east, and yea, since they are people, they might have simmilar hobbies that you have. get over yourselfs.
cl4y

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:51 pm Reply with quote
IvoryBirch wrote:
I thought Islam was against visual depictions of God... Wink

LOL! That is THE perfect response to this.

My only other thought on the subject is that I can't help but suspect that this is just another case of 'guerilla' marketing gone horribly wrong.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I know people in the middle east who watch anime.. but this is surprising. o_o
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Takavar: I thought shows which feature girls with short skirts would be banned over there.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:11 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Takavar: I thought shows which feature girls with short skirts would be banned over there.

Yesterday I visited some anime forum in Arabic. While I can't actually read them, many thread titles were written in English, and NANA, Death Note, Utawarerumono, Code Geass were all over the place, meaning they follow most current series (probably through fansub as well) just as we do, and users do post pictures of AIKa... Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
birdboy2000

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it was intended as a protest against the whole 'religious violence' thing -- "screw all this fighting over the holy land, lets just pray to Haruhi!" or whatnot?

(I want to believe.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bluepita

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing there is no real significance there. My theory: They needed a picture of a child; someone was an anime fan. I can't imagine that the use of Haruhi has any real meaning in the protest. I found the scene from Akira used in Serbia more interesting, since it actually seemed to mean something.

Still a nice interest item, though.
AutoGyro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:15 pm Reply with quote
キタ━━━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━━━ !!!!! wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
Wow, who would have thought folks in 'Iraq' knew about "anime". Smile
Gaza isn't in Iraq.

Even though Gaza is not in Iraq, people in Iraq and the rest of the Middle East were getting accuretly dubbed anime (in Arabic, of course) when the US fans were getting Warriors of the Wind.

There are more truly classic anime (Rose of Versaille, Future Boy Conan, Captain Tsubasa, World Masterpiece Theatre collection) dubbed in Iraq, Lebanon, and Kwait than we'll probably ever see in the US, which is a shame.

P.S. from all the hype about this show that I'm hearing, it better be damn good!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6