• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Makoto Shinkai's your name. Film Gets Live-Action Hollywood Adaptation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuluTheOtaku

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:46 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
LuluTheOtaku wrote:
But I think at this point, Hollywood have no choice. They started by adapting young adult novels, Harry Potter, Hunger Games, Twilight, Maze Runner etc. And now that they're running out of those they've moved on to comic books, which will stick around for a bit longer with Marvel getting consistent ratings and DC, Sony and Fox attempting to cash in on the craze as well.

Sorry to spoil your timeline there, but comic book-based movies have been a steadily-recurring thing for decades. The surge of them started before the surge of young adult novels that you're talking about did.

And it's not like young adult adaptations haven't been going on for decades, either.

Regardless of timeline, the point stands, Hollywood has done these adaptations to death and now they need a new medium to adapt as trends change. The new medium is Anime.

Last edited by LuluTheOtaku on Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Louis_X

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:47 am Reply with quote
Lizzie_B wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
They just have to go and ruin everything I love, don't they?

Originality is dead
Hollywood will do anything for money Rolling Eyes

Nostalgia as well. Nostalgic Americans have been betting on crappy, unnecessary remakes/reboots nowadays. I always avoid nostalgia like a plague, cancer and a disorder.
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:08 am Reply with quote
Good news!

Shinkai gets enough money out of this to fund ten big budget anime features. That'll be something worth looking forward to.

Don't care what happens with the remake. Probably be stuck in the same development hell where Cowboy Bebop and Akira went to die. Won't watch it if it's made.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:14 am Reply with quote
Just Passing Through wrote:
Probably be stuck in the same development hell where Cowboy Bebop and Akira went to die. Won't watch it if it's made.

We can only hope! I worry that the recency of the original might prevent any such setbacks, welcome though they would be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:32 am Reply with quote
Can easily picture this getting a hollywood makeover. Makes me wonder if they will take it out of the high school setting...
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:36 am Reply with quote
Future American synopsis: The film centers on John, a university boy living in New York who works part-time at a restaurant, and Kate, a university girl living in a town in rural USA who wants to live in the city. One day, they begin switching bodies every time they sleep, and have to find a way to communicate with each other to manage each other's lives. Later, when they try to meet up physically for the first time, John discovers a secret that will lead to a race against time to try and save each other.

Well, i hope this doesn't stop Japan to release a real live action adaptation, because that is what i would like to watch.

Not some American localization that have almost nothing to do with the story, locations and characters like most the trash adaptations coming out of Hollywood. Very few American anime/manga adaptations are worth of my time.
Re:SOUL

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:00 am Reply with quote
Shinuki wrote:
7jaws7 wrote:
I can't say I'm surprised...here's hoping it's a success so more people can check out Shinkai's film, but I have my doubts after watching The Force Awakens.

You mean the movie that is the 3rd biggest box office ever and highly acclaimed by critics and public? Well, so i think that there's nothing to worry about...

Yes, the same film criticised for its unoriginality.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:28 am Reply with quote
Re:SOUL wrote:
Shinuki wrote:
7jaws7 wrote:
I can't say I'm surprised...here's hoping it's a success so more people can check out Shinkai's film, but I have my doubts after watching The Force Awakens.

You mean the movie that is the 3rd biggest box office ever and highly acclaimed by critics and public? Well, so i think that there's nothing to worry about...

Which I find ironic since A New Hope is hardly original either, it's a pretty basic Hero's Story at the end of the day, and I'll be honest I think Force Awakens is the better film as ANH is great but had some rough patches.

Rey is a better lead than ANH Luke (since we're comparing just these two movies, not 5 and 6) as he was often whiny and self-righteous in how he shamed Han for DARING to focus on dealing with his financial debts first (never mind how Luke would probably be dead if Han wasn't available as a smuggler, but no, BOO smuggling!) Finn has a different character arc than we've seen in SW before. The acting is more consistently solid (Harrison Ford, James Earl Jones, and Alec Guiness are solid, but Fisher and especially Hammil were kind of rough and got better in 5) and the climax is more engaging as it involves most of the cast involved rather than just Luke and some people we met two minutes ago while Leia watches and Han and Chewie wait until the end to show up. The one element ANH is better at is the villain, while I like Kylo Ren, Darth Vader is of course better.

And since people often mention it, I find a "revolution of special effects" and "inspired many films to come" completely irrelevant to the actual quality of the individual film. Friday the 13th inspired practically every 80's horror film, doesn't mean you have to consider it a great film. Likewise, Transformers 1 had some unbelievable special effects for 2007 but likewise I'm not telling anyone they have to acknowledge it as a great film.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:30 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I love how the "Hollywood is out of ideas" meme is a thing when at least half of new anime series premiering in any given season are literal cookie-cutter clones of some past franchise.

Not about to argue this point! Smile Which is why, as a collector, I'm always on the lookout for either (1) the truly fresh and offbeat, or (2) all-too-common elements brought together with skill, energy, and engaging characters and story to create something special. And these days, this quest is no mean feat, I assure you. Wink
anddo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:28 am Reply with quote
Hollywood will never ever learn. Shame.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:29 am Reply with quote
ChrissyC wrote:

Edit: A wider re-release instead of a remake is better, though.

Not if there's not enough people across the country willing to watch.

Kadmos1 wrote:
The 2 major things to keep in mind is the actual release date and that it isn't white-washed.

You can pretty much bet your top dollar it's not going to have a predominately asian cast.

Mr.Shonen wrote:
Oh look Hollywood's inability to be creative has gotten to the point where they have to adapt foreign animation into live action. Also, JJ Abrams is involved somehow. The moment Hollywood crashes and burns the better. Then maybe it can be reborn into something better.

I do wish the people who keep crossing their arms in furrowing their brows reconcile the fact that simply having an original idea does not guarantee success and adapting a work into another medium is not bad by default since not everyone has or will have touched the original work.

Re:SOUL wrote:

Just like the prequels that preceded it was criticized for being too different/not what the fandom wanted turning Star Wars fans into the movie equivalent of the Sonic fanbase.
Folcwine P. Pywackett

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:57 am Reply with quote
Why is everyone upset here? This remake in no way changes the original.
But as others have observed, The sequel/remake syndrome currently driving Hollywood is just further proof that Hollywood is artistically dead which is one reason large numbers are turning to anime.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:58 am Reply with quote
This is awesome news! Couldn't catch the animated film in theaters but I'll be able to see this one!

Jonny Mendes wrote:
Future American synopsis: The film centers on John, a university boy living in New York who works part-time at a restaurant, and Kate, a university girl living in a town in rural USA who wants to live in the city. One day, they begin switching bodies every time they sleep, and have to find a way to communicate with each other to manage each other's lives. Later, when they try to meet up physically for the first time, John discovers a secret that will lead to a race against time to try and save each other.

You forgot the part about their eight kids!
Key

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:26 am Reply with quote
I've seen a lot people in this thread bemoan how artistically dead Hollywood is nowadays because it just keeps recycling old ideas and feeding off of stuff from other mediums.

My challenge to the people claiming that is this: when was Hollywood not like that?

Hollywood and the film industry in general has been like that from its inception, boys and girls. A certain amount of truly original stuff gets made every year, but the bulk of the content is remakes or adaptations from other mediums. And it's always been like that.

And frankly, I think people are getting overly concerned about this being a sign of a slew of anime-based projects coming because there's a limit to how far that will go. your name. grossed over US $350 million, so Hollywood would be stupid if it didn't pay attention to that. Dragon Ball and Ghost in the Shell are long-standing franchises that even many people not into anime in general are familiar with. Same with Akira and Death Note, whereas Battle Angel is a case where it has a cool factor that would translate well for American audiences. In each of these instances except maybe DB there's little that's inherently and specifically Japanese about the underlying story, too. They aren't like a title like, say, Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun or Inuyasha, which can't in the slightest be divorced from their Japanese-ness. But there aren't many anime titles which come out each year about which that can all be said.

And besides, it's not like Hollywood hasn't done numerous live-action adaptations of Western cartoons, either. Or anime hasn't done its own versions of Western properties. (Anne of Green Gables, anyone? Or Les Miserables - Shojo Cosette? Romeo x Juliet? I cold go on and on.) I don't hear people whining about anime being creatively bankrupt because of that.

So let's not get all bent out of shape about Hollywood doing this and keep some perspective.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:37 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I've seen a lot people in this thread bemoan how artistically dead Hollywood is nowadays because it just keeps recycling old ideas and feeding off of stuff from other mediums.

My challenge to the people claiming that is this: when was Hollywood not like that?

Mid to late 1980s. Loads of great movies with no numbers at the end, not too many comic book movies either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7