• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Eureka 7 DVD 4

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:22 am Reply with quote
Oh, I'm not going to allow this to pass. I wanted to stop, but this is too good to pass up:

Afax wrote:
Wow, what a hilarious thread.

Does Eureka Seven bear similarites to Evangelion? Yes it does, superficial ones that are subseqeuntly smashed. Did Evangelion bear similarities to other shows before it? Of course. You'll find most mecha series lift from Eva since it was created, many much worse than Eureka Seven. Not to mention the so called similarites are by now staples of the mecha genre and very few of them created by Evangelion. Just how many mecha series have you seen?

While being influenced by it, it's still very much it's own show and completely different in terms of plot, character and overall narrative.

I won't argue with anything here - I agree completely. And I've seen several mecha series.

Quote:
Firstly, to say it offers no insight on character motivations and plot whatsoever until halfway is flat out wrong. Plenty of information is given out, and by the end of the first season the plot of the entire show has been hinted at, talked about and forshadowed, everything is there, and I mean everything. Dewey's motivation is majorly hinted at, Eureka's true origin massively hinted at. etc etc. They don't tell you any of these outright as the focus is on immersing the viewer into the setting and the current situation of the main character, but it's all there. The writers purposefully created the show as a purely character driven narrative and is not seperated into "character half" and "plot half." It all perfectly flows and everything is revealed completely as the main character finds out. And most of your questions are such that it seems you're begging for answer to be spoon fed to you when most if it is completely inferrable from the circumstances and dialogue, for example: Who are the sages? You really need that answered when it's so plainly obvious?

First, don't make assumptions about me as a viewer, thank you - argue my points on their merit.

It does not "flow perfectly" - the first half drops the tiniest hints here and there and fails to establish the world in which the story takes place. There's no frame. And with no frame, the character development is an amorphous blob of information and emotion barely given a hint of outline. You get basics like who the main characters are and what they're doing, but not why, or what purpose it serves to anything.

Nothing is plainly obvious about the sages - they just appear. I didn't know whether they were the head of the government, some religious group, simply the head of the military, the head of a government that was different than the government chasing the Gekko State, or what. They obviously have SOME say in a military of some kind, but there's not even a connection to the same military made at first. All they needed was a couple of soldiers from the military standing next to them in the uniforms that the soldiers chasing the Gekko State are wearing and BAM. Instant character background.

Unfortunately, there's no such thing as something that's "purely character driven", especially in visual medium like an animated program. It simply doesn't work. Certain things must be established. In modern or postmodern literature you may be allowed to do such things, but that's because the form of the collection of words itself is more important than the plot. In an animated feature, a frame must be established in which the action and character development occur, or all you have is purely visual and unable to be understood accept asthetically.

Quote:
Saying Renton is a weaker character than Shinji is pretty funny as well. Shinji from the begining was a self depreciating introverted teen who shut himself away from others, could never properly socialize with others, even in the end reluctantly decided to continue living while professing how he still thinks he's a failure of a person. He was an exagerated charicature of a small fringe of people His actions ranged from pathetic to repulsive. And to make things so Ironic, the show that Hideaki Anno admitted to being a critique on modern Otaku culture, ended up being the pillar of an entirely new generation of otaku and it's characters whored out to what he despised. Sure, Anno doesn't really approve of most of the merchandising but it's funny nonetheless.

Yes, I understand that Shinji Ikari is a commentary on Japanese youth and their inability to break away from their introversion. In fact, I believe I mentioned that previously. He is indeed a difficult person to respect as a human being - often shut in and indecisive. But he's rich in his characterization, often in conflict with his duties and his pain, his understanding of people and what it means to be a person. The fact that he can do things that literally repulse you means that he's very human - which is why I laugh at those who accuse Shinji of being unsympathetic, or a "wuss". The truth is, many people don't want to deal with how real he is or how close he may be to them.

Quote:
Renton was just an average teenager, highly spirited and spoke whatever was on his mind. During the show he grew up, learned lessons, faced the reality of not only the society he lived in but of the people he'd for so longtime admired. He always came away a better person, more confident and determined. Was ever brought down? Yeah, but he bounced back stronger than ever.

I won't argue with that, I completely agree.

Quote:
He faced the truth about the cultural problems in his society, he lived through what he could only think of as a dream, only to have it shattered in front of him, partly his own fault yet knowing full well he had no choice, but he got over it and accepted it.

Um hm, I agree with that, also.

Quote:
Renton is an excellently written character, he deals with things in a realistic manner, he was naive but his eyes were opened, he understood what he had to do and he did it. He's probably one of the best written protagonists of this kind coming of age story I've ever seen, as his growth is natural, real and not forced. We see what he's learned through his actions, through his dialogue and also we see that he still remains who he is until the end despite all this and despite the massive growth he underwent, the show focused on the one thing that never changed in him, and that was his feeling for Eureka and how everything he had learned also went towards how he dealt with her.

I agree with ALL of this.

Howevever, there is a layer of reality that Renton fails to see. He can be appreciated for seeing the positive and for wanting to work towards his goals and fight for the people he cares. But what he seems to fail to realize are how his ideals are dumbly carried with him without an ounce of realism, leading to a lot of uncessary pain and sacrifices of other people around him.

And as well as he's written as far as development in his character, it's only DESPITE the poor writing of several other characters and the delayed plot.

Quote:
As for your list.

- "living" mecha. - Evangelion wasn't the first, and it doesn't hold a copyright on this. What's the big deal, especially when E7 does it better and actually gives explanations for it.
- bossy crazy girl piloting one (Anemone pilots TheEnd) - Again, staple archetype in anime, character itself is completely different.
- main protagonist goes crazy when he kills - Shinji never went crazy killing, the Eva did. Renton's anger arose out of much build up and it's release was inevitable, there was consequences and there was a reason.
- main protagonist runs away - Mobile Suit Gundam much? This whole scenario was a clear reference to the original MSG, as even said by the director himself.
- quiet, detached, blue-haired girl with little personality - Little personality? Eureka? If you've only seen maybe 8 or so episodes, sure. Again massively wrong, she's full of personality, actually grows as a character and can talk in more than one tone.
- cute animal character (Pen Pen/Gulliver) - Do you have any idea how many shows out there have these? Talk about grasping at straws.

Even saying it's similar on intially superficial parts, yet what the show does with all of these is nothing like Evangelion in the least.

It's laughable how easily people completely miss the point here - only Key seems to have understood my point in listing the similarities between Evangelion and Eureka Seven. I won't tell you what it is - reread the thread and maybe you'll pick up on it. After all, unlike me, you don't need things spoonfed to you, right?

Quote:
It is much better written

I disagree with this.

Quote:
with characters that act real and feel natural

Evangelion has this, too. In fact, I'd argue that they're painfully real.

Quote:
a coherent plot

Stopped just short of the ending, did you?

Quote:
that was built up from the start and not written as it went along (like Eva)

Evidence?

Quote:
and doesn't base it's entire plot on a meaningless series of biblical references

Meaningless in the sense of Biblical context, but meaningful within the context of the story given - maybe you should pay more attention.

Quote:
Eureka's plot which is founded on themes, poltical, sociological and ecological. All very much relevant not just to today but to yesterday and tommorow.

Yes, I agree.

Quote:
None of them ever written cheesily or overwrought, but understandable and intelligently as many of them are situations and the kind of despair that is very much the truth of this world. All of it written with profound honesty and caters to a global audience.

This little passage of your argument is nonesensical conjecture. Predict the relevance of Eureka Seven to society somewhere else, we're supposed to be arguing on the merits of the shows themselves.

Quote:
Many people sort of acknowledge that anime has become more than just a japanese industry, but until now I haven't seen a writer like Dai Sato who not only understands that the medium is no longer catering to only Japan but actually goes out and writes a show like this that purposefully integrates different cultures and aims it at such a global audience. This isn't japanese animation, it's animation period.

Also a pointless group of statements. Are you saying that Evangelion is only just "Japanese animation" and not "global" in anyway? I don't see where this fits in with this discussion. If you could prove this one way or another, it would still be irrelevant. Don't confuse the subject.

I think it's easy to want to attack me on my abrasiveness, because you believe I'm attacking a show you enjoy. Frankly, so do I - to an extent. I wouldn't have said this before the Ray and Charles arc (unfortunately it took that long for it to catch my fancy, although I watched attentively until then because of the reccomendations of others), but halfway through it gets quite good and very enjoyable. However, you came out swinging with meaningless rhetoric and a poor grasp of what you were disagreeing with.

I don't have a "closing statement" to draw attention to how clever I am or how right my position is, but - oh wait! Here's one. Hope you enjoyed it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Afax

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
First, don't make assumptions about me as a viewer, thank you - argue my points on their merit.

It does not "flow perfectly" - the first half drops the tiniest hints here and there and fails to establish the world in which the story takes place. There's no frame. And with no frame, the character development is an amorphous blob of information and emotion barely given a hint of outline. You get basics like who the main characters are and what they're doing, but not why, or what purpose it serves to anything.

Nothing is plainly obvious about the sages - they just appear. I didn't know whether they were the head of the government, some religious group, simply the head of the military, the head of a government that was different than the government chasing the Gekko State, or what. They obviously have SOME say in a military of some kind, but there's not even a connection to the same military made at first. All they needed was a couple of soldiers from the military standing next to them in the uniforms that the soldiers chasing the Gekko State are wearing and BAM. Instant character background.

Unfortunately, there's no such thing as something that's "purely character driven", especially in visual medium like an animated program. It simply doesn't work. Certain things must be established. In modern or postmodern literature you may be allowed to do such things, but that's because the form of the collection of words itself is more important than the plot. In an animated feature, a frame must be established in which the action and character development occur, or all you have is purely visual and unable to be understood accept asthetically.

The setting is very much established. Whether through the depictions and explanations of the tectonic shifts and pile bunkers, the trappar and the skyfish, the despair disease, the Scab and the mines as well its effects on Eureka, the war ravaged city. Everything adds up. As far as why the characters are doing what they are doing, you only learn as much as the main character, this is made obvious. If you don't like being left in the dark like that then there's nothing I can do, for me there was always enough information to get by. That's all there is to it. This sort of narrative structure works for some and doesn't for others, nothing else to add.
penguintruth wrote:

I agree with ALL of this.

Howevever, there is a layer of reality that Renton fails to see. He can be appreciated for seeing the positive and for wanting to work towards his goals and fight for the people he cares. But what he seems to fail to realize are how his ideals are dumbly carried with him without an ounce of realism, leading to a lot of uncessary pain and sacrifices of other people around him.

And as well as he's written as far as development in his character, it's only DESPITE the poor writing of several other characters and the delayed plot.

You're talking about him as if he's Shirou from Fate/Stay Night or something. As if he has unrealistic goals and thinks he can save the whole world or something.
You say there's a layer of reality that he doesn't see. That's the point. He doesn't see it and it's what leads him to crushing disappointment after another and ends him up in the situations he was in. He initially has a naive teenage worldview, we all did at one point. But he was forced to see past it and see just what it really is like. From his unrealistic stance on killing after his ordeal which was shattered almost immediately and led to his acceptance of that, to his view on just being able to be friends with Eureka's kids only to end up at the end truly getting it in a meaningful way. Almost everything he looked at initially was through this layer you talk about, but he went past it.

I don't really think any single character is poorly written, only most of the Gekkostate just arent given any fleshing out unfortunately but, it's not really necessary. Nor is there any delayed plot, that's your opinion. After Acperience 1 to me the groundwork for the entire series has been laid, afterwards it only builds up toward it.

Quote:
It's laughable how easily people completely miss the point here - only Key seems to have understood my point in listing the similarities between Evangelion and Eureka Seven. I won't tell you what it is - reread the thread and maybe you'll pick up on it. After all, unlike me, you don't need things spoonfed to you, right?

You're talking as if it's a bad thing that the show is heavily influenced by it, as if no other show has been infulenced by another. They both share similar basic archetypes for it's characters but what both shows do with them is completely different. That's all there is to it for me.

Quote:

Also a pointless group of statements. Are you saying that Evangelion is only just "Japanese animation" and not "global" in anyway? I don't see where this fits in with this discussion. If you could prove this one way or another, it would still be irrelevant. Don't confuse the subject.

Your missing the point. I'm talking in terms of its worldview, setting, cast and main themes all of which are global and written accordingly, and yes I do think Evangelion is a japanese centric show made even more obvious when the assistant director himself says they never thought the show would never make it outside of japan. And yes perhaps I did rample on.

I'm not sure what else there is to say anyways. It's a fundamental difference of opinion. I've got nothing else to say really.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:19 am Reply with quote
I just finished watching volume four last night and found it amazing. I really had a bit of trouble getting into the first 2 DVDs since they were so light hearted and seemed to lack direction.

penguintruth wrote:

Hm, I can think of a few similiarities other than a young boy piloting mecha:

- "living" mecha
- bossy crazy girl piloting one (Anemone pilots TheEnd)
- main protagonist goes crazy when he kills
- main protagonist runs away
- quiet, detached, blue-haired girl with little personality
- cute animal character (Pen Pen/Gulliver)

Aura Battler Dunbine.

-Living Mecha: this show had the concept down a good decade before Evangelion
-Bossy crazy Girl piloting one: Red haired Jeril is way bossier and crazier than either Asuka or Anemone
-Main protagonist goes crazy when he kills: The concept of the sei senshi going into Hyper mode is key to the plot line.
-Main protagonist runs away: Sho mid-series even gets back to his parents home where he literally runs away declaring he is not their son but an alien imposter!
-Quiet detached Blue-haired girl with little personality. Sounds like Princess Rimel Luft.
-Cute animal character: The little fairy Cham who often is used for comedy relief comes to mind.

I will say that I seriously don''t think Dunbine is any more similar to Evangelion as Eva is to Eureka 7 or RahXephon. People will constantly say a certain show is a clone of another, but I just don't agree. At any rate I love all four shows mentioned in this paragraph and am looking forward to the rest of Eureka 7.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:

As has already been mentioned, people got the point they just don't buy into the minor similarities actually making the title a clone. Especially since most of them have little to do with the focus or the plot and if you dug that deep and looked at such minor elements there's a lot of shows that could be considered clones. Truthfully if E7 didn't have mecha at all chances are the comparison wouldn't have even been made.

Key got your point but that's because he partially agrees with you, but not completely. Just because Key is a reviewer here however and a staff member doesn't mean he's god and doesn't mean him agreeing with you proves your point through some amazing means. I still maintain that the similarities are mostly minor and on the surface while the heart of each show is different to the point the idea that E7 is a "clone" by any stretch is ridiculous. While Key is right that NGE has more depth I actually found that to be its biggest weakness, it tried to have too much and seemed to try to hard to pull it off.

You can like Eva all you want, but whether you want to tolerate it or not some people are going to like E7 and some are going to like it more than Eva, deal with it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BleuVII

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Quote:
None of them ever written cheesily or overwrought, but understandable and intelligently as many of them are situations and the kind of despair that is very much the truth of this world. All of it written with profound honesty and caters to a global audience.

This little passage of your argument is nonesensical conjecture. Predict the relevance of Eureka Seven to society somewhere else, we're supposed to be arguing on the merits of the shows themselves.

Well, it actually DOES cater to a global audience.
I watched and loved the show as an American. I specifically loved all the stuff that Stoner says about the media.

That, AND it made its way into the #14 slot of the top 100 Japanese Anime Series that was posted on this site about a month ago. When I went to Japan last week, the manga was being sold in every store I went into. One store gave it the top shelf treatment, and another store gave it its very own shelf. So, obviously the Japanese like it too.

Then there's the fact that I live in Korea, and people here seem to love it too. It is not AS popular, because Koreans have a tendency to promote all things Korean and spurn Japanese things (with the exceptions of Deathnote and Naruto), but those who have read it really identify with it and love it.

So, from the three cultures I have observed, I can confirm that this is not pure conjecture.

Also, someone a while back asked me to draw some parallels between this and Gundam SEED. I'll make it quick.

1. Both shows are mechas. (I know, it's obvious, but it strengthens the rest of the stuff on this list)
2. Main Character stuff - Renton is kind of a mixture of Kira and Athlun (the dual leads) from Gundam Seed.
- Renton and Kira are both mechanics. Though, to be technical, Kira is a computer programmer who just happens to delve into mechanics. Also, Athlun is famous for building small toys, which Renton does for the kids at one point.
- The mecha won't work without the respective leads. The Nirvash doesn't move right without Renton. Also, when Kira reprogrammed the Strike Gundam, he accidentally made the coding so complex that only Coordinators (genetically altered humans) could pilot it. Since he is the only coordinator on the Archangel, he has to pilot it every time.
- Both Kira and Renton develop a pacifist fighting style. They target the weapons of their enemies and make them unable to fight instead of killing them. This lead to one of my favorite lines from Charles Beams: "Showing mercy when flying around on the battlefield... Renton... you're going to die." I loved it because that's what fans said about Kira during the first run of GS.
3. Nirvash and Strike were both the prototype mechas that all of the others were based on.
4. The Archangel and the Gekko were both prototype airships stolen from the miliatry, and they both faced off against their double (Archangel vs. Dominion and Gekko vs. Beams' Ship).
5. The characters of Murrue Ramius and Talho were very similar. They both became maternal figures to the crew throughout the show. Also, the tensions existing between Talho and Holland on the bridge were reminiscent of the tensions between Ramius and Natarle (though, admittedly, Ramius vs. Natarle was much more intense). Also, both Talho and Ramius narrate the next episode preview.

So, yeah, the two shows have a lot of similarities. You can even throw the original Gundam into the mix, since Gundam SEED is kind of a different take on the original series. However, even here, the two shows are very different. Gundam has a militaristic feel to it, and the plot progresses from battle to battle, rather than focusing on the characters and their development like Eureka 7.

Still, if you're going to draw parallels from E7 to any show, I think Gundam SEED is a much better choice than NGE.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:27 am Reply with quote
Hey, I may not think E7 is as good as EVA, but let's not insult it so much by comparing it to the travesty that is Gundam SEED. At least E7 has its own story and isn't some shallow retread of the original Mobile Suit Gundam.

But yeah, I see your point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3