• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Usagi Drop (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:08 am Reply with quote
Usagi Drop (TV) AKA Bunny Drop

Quote:
Plot Summary:Going home for his grandfather's funeral, thirty-year-old bachelor Daikichi is floored to discover that the old man had an illegitimate child with a younger lover. The rest of his family is equally shocked and embarrassed by this surprise development, and not one of them wants anything to do with the silent little girl, Rin. In a fit of angry spontaneity, Daikichi decides to take her in himself. But will living with this overgrown teenager of man help Rin come out of her shell. And hang on, won't this turn of events spell doom for Daikichi's love life

I have only seen the first episode and this is something that I will enjoy watching. Actually at first I did not plan on watching it since I did not like the style of the poster, but I read the plot and it sounded intersting so I decided to give it a go. When I started I also did not like the look of the animation, but it started to have it grow onto me while watching, it is actually rather cute. The first episode was largely the funeral mentioned in the plot summary, and the drama of Rin being estranged to the rest of the family.

I will say I had a couple tears in my eyes from some scenes that were sad with how spoiler[she had just lost her father, and the rest of family just wanted to get rid of her.] Though I have been sick and my eyes and nose have been watery. A couple laughs, well I kind of laughed with the main character (Daikichi) over the situation of being a little sister and aunt, and his niece?'s amazment at his bribe. I think it is rather sweet and refreshing, a kid just being a kid, kind of makes me think of Kure-nai, Yotsuba&! and a bit of After Story, with animation that makes me think a bit Honey and Clover.

This is likely to be filled with emotion, child wonder and melancholy, and hopefully goes well.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:57 am Reply with quote
Oh, there wasn't even a thread about this show until today? Shame, haha. I'm watching this show too, tomorrow the next ep will come out.

I loved the first episode. Seems like this show will take a realistic approach, like OP said, with the kids behaving like kids.
Tanukiboi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:01 pm Reply with quote
I've recently watched the first episode. My impressions of it seem very heart warming and beautiful, I enjoyed the first episode. I probably shed a couple tears while watching it. I'm looking forward towards the series.

The Manga is really good too and I hope the anime does good too.
zaphdash

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Not familiar with the manga at all, but I watched the first ep of this based on the summer preview feature and really liked it. Reminded me a lot of Aruitemo, aruitemo, probably because it was set at a funeral. Probably also because of that comparison, it felt less to me like my typical conception of "anime" and more like a good Japanese movie that just happened to be animated. Looking forward to seeing how this one plays out, really hope it maintains the same atmosphere and pacing. It's what I love so much in live action Japanese movies, so if I can get it in twenty minute doses instead of having to carve 2+ hours out of my schedule, it'd be wonderful.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:14 pm Reply with quote
This Anime is the GEM of the slice of life anime genre for the last number of years. true its only 2 episodes into the season but the quality is so outstanding to already put it way above its competition.

the writing, characters, art, music all form a great anime for those of us who really enjoy the slice of life genre.

you know its good writing when you don't really care if the plot has anywhere it needs to go, Rin and Daikichi's characters really compliment each other as each is developed along the way and its refreshing to see (second episode) real life work issues adults face vs the cut away style so many other anime use.

the artwork is kept away from sharp but compliments the style they chose to use for this anime its pleasant to watch as is the music which accompanies it.

its rare I'd give any anime even the series i've followed for years any mark over 7 out of 10 but this one so far is an easy 8.5-9 for its genre.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I actually find the simple animation style to be part of this show's charm. It just feels right.

After watching the second episode, I especially love Rin's facial expressions.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Seen episode 2 and definitely enjoying the series so far. Incredibly cute without being horrendously moe moe on an aesthetic level. Very refreshing. Also!!! Just to remind people, Manga fans. Ease up with any spoilerish stuff and tones as this is just the ANIME thread. We get you know what happens, but it hasn't happened in the anime yet so eeeeease off any "hints" or "Ohhh I can't wait for 'X'!" stuff. No one has said anything yet but most of these threads tend to have this issue. Talk about when it actually happens. Not before.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:23 pm Reply with quote
This is pressing all the right buttons for me. I can relate to both the main characters. My father, who was 22 years older than my mother, died just before I was born so I know what its like not to know your parent. I'm also an older male who never had children and wishes he did.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Incredibly cute without being horrendously moe moe on an aesthetic level.

The show is the embodiment of moe to me.
Scormio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:16 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:

In a very literal sense, it is sorta moe.

I just got done watching the second episode, can't wait for the third. Rin is sooooo cute, and Daikichi is funny in his own way
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:47 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:

This is some pre-moe cute. During an age before the current term of moe existed and when slice of life or a cute comedy series was just that, a slice of life or cute comedy series. In terms of characteristics, Rin definitely has qualities that are used by moe characters, but at least she's at the age where she would actually act like that rather then a middle school or high school character acting like that. And aesthetically, it has a different artistic take and style from a moe series. Not cute for cutes sake but cute because she's a cute kid.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Second episode is also great, absolutly no complaints, it just fits together. Rin and Daikichi are a delight to watch, Daikichi is trying his best with juggling work and picking Rin up, and going out of his way to try to cheer her up, and the shopping trip was a good scene. Rin colecting random things she finds something kids generally like to do, also a trait of Yotsuba, which also had a shoping chapter early on. She is rather cute no matter what she is doing, whther proclaiming that "I dunno" or telling him off for bad table matters, or even spunkilly proclaiming it was just sweat.

I don't know if I said it before but I really like the opening and ending songs, though the first thing it made me think of were the Witches in Madoka, but those were really suposed to be playing with the childish image. I am probably just a bit over emotional but I find the opening song for some reason. Can't help but find Reina rather humorous as well, even though she embodies everything about loud and somewhat anoying children.

I think in some ways this show is exactly what I wished other shows were, so it is all good.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:17 pm Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:

This is some pre-moe cute. During an age before the current term of moe existed and when slice of life or a cute comedy series was just that, a slice of life or cute comedy series. In terms of characteristics, Rin definitely has qualities that are used by moe characters, but at least she's at the age where she would actually act like that rather then a middle school or high school character acting like that. And aesthetically, it has a different artistic take and style from a moe series. Not cute for cutes sake but cute because she's a cute kid.

meh aesthetics. I can't really say drawing style defines moe. Perhaps it is close to what you said Usagi Drop is moe before the term moe got adopted, abused, and rendered DOA by Western speakers.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Loving it. I think Production I.G is absolutely the right studio for this show. they really know how to do quality work on every level. Love Rin, but Reina continues to be the most realistic little kid I have ever come across regardless of medium.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Yeah it is not quite the whole modern day moe that we see now days with things like Yui or Mio from K-ON. Maybe it is good to also comapare her to Ushio, Rin maybe feels a little less helpless, but perhaps more in general where Clannad makes itself moe with with large sparkly eyes and socialy awkward girls, Usagi Drop just is.

Thought I might also mention that Reina reminds me tuite a bit of my own younger brother as of late he has been annoying me incredibly especialy with the phone thing, I have the feeling he has almost done the same thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8