• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Call of the Night (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:27 am Reply with quote
6:
Blood- wrote:
and we still have not met a lot of the characters that appear in the OP. I'm getting impatient

Show serves the rest of the cast on a platter

It makes sense that there is a vampire brood or sorts in a world where vampires are seen as abominations by humans. The interesting part is, the vampire brood we have in this show is a girl's group (女子会). Kinda plays to the whole idea of this show taking a contemporary teenage romance spin on a vampire story.

Do you know the sheer irony of the episode is? The whole conversation between the women and Ko is actually the most sensible thing that has happened in this show. The women operate on conventional wisdom of what attracts men, and they all don't work on him because of how weird he is. If anything, his declaration "I will become a vampire, no matter how long it takes" proves it. And Nazuna is just as weird, when she can jive with adult humor without hesitation, but romantic stuff will literally stop her in her tracks. Add in the prerequisite that romance is required for someone to turn into a vampire and you have a... very weird (thus interesting) teenage romance vampire story? Yeah.

I've done this a couple times in previous posts but let me summarize what's weird about this relationship: Ko wants to be a vampire. Nazuna wants Ko's blood. This cold transaction isn't complete without romance. Now Ko decides on falling in love with Nazuna. Nazuna can't deal with romance. This gap is the main point of the show.

Last edited by ACxS on Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:21 am Reply with quote
See? It pays to whine on a message board! As AC x S pointed out above, I certainly got my wish about meeting the rest of the cast! What I found interesting about the last episode - if I'm understanding it correctly - is that Nazuna's claim that the only way for a human to become a vampire is to fall in love with his/her sire is bullshit. I had originally taken her at face value, assuming that in this world, that was one of the vampire "rules." But the other vampire chicks seemed to belie that. From a pure character design point of view, I prefer all the other vampire ladies to Nazuna. There's something about her sleepy eyes that I find off-putting.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Nazuna, you are so obviously into Kou....I'm not going to buy into the excuse of taking off someone's arm "just because my prey tastes good and I don't share". Laughing
I swear she got a bit jealous of Kou paying attention to Akira too.

So she gets jealous and only wants Kou and Kou gets jealous and only wants Nazuna....yep, they are made for each other lol

Blood- wrote:
From a pure character design point of view, I prefer all the other vampire ladies to Nazuna. There's something about her sleepy eyes that I find off-putting.

I'm the opposite. I love Nazuna's design...and think the other ones look too plain! I mean, why would the author give THREE of the vampire ladies the same-ish dull brown/black hair color AND hairstyle?!

It's not like those three are triplets....but they might as well have been because I couldn't even tell them apart. These type of designs are for nameless students in the back of a classroom that don't even get lines of dialogue. Couldn't even tell you their names.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:12 am Reply with quote
8:

Man, Ko is incredibly slow on the uptake. I thought he would understand the situation he's in after that last bit, but nope! Akira had to fill him in, even spelled it out for him. See, what a supportive friend she is! Ko finally realizes that he's bitten off more than he can chew, especially when he's completely clueless about interpersonal relations, let alone romance.

I actually didn't realize that there's still some other characters that aren't introduced yet. Mahiru, he's dating a vampire. Wait... is he? Then wouldn't Nazuna know from the get-go that she's a vampire? A vampire can tell one when they see one, right? Hmm.

Last edited by ACxS on Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
ACxS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:24 am Reply with quote
9:

Wow. That episode is amazingly well done. I'm genuinely surprised.

If you put aside the whole vampire thing, Seri's problem is an incredibly human problem. Like, the whole vampire thing is just a plot device (well technically, it is a plot device but that's not the point). But Seri said one thing that was perfectly ironic: "human rules don't apply to us". True enough, but vampires don't operate on an entirely different level from humans. They're still as human as they can get, whether it's about being clingy or ghosting someone.

I am genuinely surprised by how this show has carried itself. It has been the season's dark horse so far.

Last edited by ACxS on Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:01 am Reply with quote
ACxS wrote:

I am genuinely surprised by how this show has carried itself. It has been the season's dark horse so far.

Along with Isekai Ojisan.

But still... yes, they needed to talk, but still, the way the dude was behaving here was crossing the line. It bothered me just a tiny bit that this was brushed off aside like didn't matter.
ACxS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:53 pm Reply with quote
10:

Gotta admit, these moments were kinda funny.

I have a bit of an issue with Midori calling Arisa's act an "illness" (or pathological, if that's what Midori's trying to say). It's the slippery slope that comes with Midori and Arisa's explanation: everyone comes to the maid cafe to admire ordinary people or celebrities (idolatry), people taking selfies to no end (narcissism), doing stuff to get recognition (validation), and stuff like that. If idolatry, narcissism and validation are "illnesses", then pretty much everyone's sick... but is it?

I get what Midori is trying to say, but her choice of words I don't quite agree. "Everyone's kind of sick, but that's okay. It's nothing weird", says her. Ironically, it would have been a lot better if she had replaced "sick" with "weird" instead: "everyone is weird but that's okay. It's nothing wrong". "Sick", in the medical/psychological sense, is a big word so I personally don't like seeing being thrown around like that. Semantics, but call it what you want.

Back to the show: now that we have explored Seri and Midori's stories from "The Brood", now we gonna see Kabura and Niko's stories too, right? This should be fun.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:25 am Reply with quote
ACxS wrote:

I have a bit of an issue with Midori calling Arisa's act an "illness" (or pathological, if that's what Midori's trying to say).

I have an issue with Midori in general....I tend to not like stuck-up female characters who think they're God's greatest gift to mankind. Rolling Eyes

She's probably the first character on this show where I can look at her and say "I don't like her" lol

Bless Kou for knocking her off her high horse. Laughing
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:24 pm Reply with quote
You're crazy, Chiibi - Midori is a adorbs!

Okay, I admit I have a fondness for conceited gals with blunt cuts. It's a thing.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Well hey, we all have our 'things' Laughing

Wow, this week's episode was VERY different from the other 10. Shocked Sh*t got real, pretty fast.

But it was certainly not boring! Kou needs to be more careful than ever now!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:17 am Reply with quote
I was glad that we finally got an episode that dealt with the "reality" of what being a vampire is. Up to now, it's kind of been treated as a light-hearted condition.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Well, that was dumb. Not once, not even once did a character who knows vampires are a thing chime in to say "they cast no reflection? Like a vampire?" Or "someone lurked in the poll but someone who didn't have to breath? Like it could be a vampire?" or even "A teacher went missing and only shows back up at night? Like he was the victim of a vampire?"

Good thing a "real detective" showed up because this Scooby gang doesn't have a clue.

Normal people: Oh, that was a tragic ending of a vampire victim.
Me: That was a wedding ring, that was his wedding ring. He was a middle-aged teacher who got involved with a female vampire... I'll stop there but I got the feeling he knew eventually he did something wrong, whatever that could be.

Was that the first and last time or merely just the last time it happened? One night predator meet another kind of night predator and considering what this show's vampire mythos is, he couldn't have been turned in just one, uh, meeting.
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:44 am Reply with quote
11:

You know how incredibly ironic this episode is?

For this whole while, being a vampire has been portrayed as this "forbidden fruit" that shouldn't be embraced, yet is the way to embrace the (night) life. The mystical part of enjoying life that humans don't understand unless they're brave enough to "come to the dark side". Ko is one such fellow that has gone to the dark side.

But let me remind the stance I've had since the beginning. Ko is the weird one, and his proposition (or business arrangement, whatever) with Nazuna always been weird. Why does Ko want to be a vampire? Ko has never really provided a good reason for it; he just wants to. He "wants" to fall in love with Nazuna to achieve that goal, yet I question if it's purely on his volition or if it's because he's already under Nazuna's influence.

What exactly is the ironic part? It's like how Blood- mentioned it: an actual / realistic situation of what it would be like to become a vampire. Because that's probably what it is really like to become one: a not-so-pleasant experience. What makes Ko the weird one is his rosy expectation of becoming a vampire... like, why does he have a rosy expectation of it? Is it just really how he sees it (i.e. his naivete) or because of Nazuna's influence on him? His admission that there's still a shit ton of things he doesn't know about vampires proves his own ignorance. I can say it's just his naive perception.

So what exactly is this show trying to say? That vampires are just as complex as humans? That vampires aren't all evil, and not all vampire victims are tricked into it (some deliberately choose to become one, like Ko and Akkun)? Taking a leaf from Tokyo Ghoul, where humans and vampires can't coexist even if each side has good people? I'm genuinely curious.

By the way, I love Anko's character. LOVE IT. The moment I hear Miyuki Sawashiro's voice, I knew she's gonna be a captivating character. Even as a female PI (which is quite unheard of IRL, I imagine), her purpose is vague. Does she also hate vampires? Or is she just helping to put victims out of their misery? And was the victim actually bitten by a vampire that Ko personally knows? That would be an interesting revelation.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:16 am Reply with quote
ACxS wrote:

So what exactly is this show trying to say? That vampires are just as complex as humans? That vampires aren't all evil, and not all vampire victims are tricked into it (some deliberately choose to become one, like Ko and Akkun)? Taking a leaf from Tokyo Ghoul, where humans and vampires can't coexist even if each side has good people? I'm genuinely curious.

By the way, I love Anko's character. LOVE IT. The moment I hear Miyuki Sawashiro's voice, I knew she's gonna be a captivating character. Even as a female PI (which is quite unheard of IRL, I imagine), her purpose is vague. Does she also hate vampires? Or is she just helping to put victims out of their misery? And was the victim actually bitten by a vampire that Ko personally knows? That would be an interesting revelation.

I'd say the show is saying you see what you want to see; Vampire/humans is a predator/prey relationship; Anko focuses on the predator/prey aspect as she's an outsider, the main cast chooses the relationship part as they're in on it. When vampires can feed on humans without killing them, having a "vampire hunter" is kind of dumb because then the only ones they kill are the ones that have been turned. And when her "vampires are evil" example is complicated, I wonder what the show is trying to accomplish.

Between this thread and the review one, I'm still trying to figure out why people aren't applying this show's turning mythos to the teacher; "Victim"? I think I see what the problem is as I'm never the type of person to fall for in story propaganda. I see the teacher's turning as a victimless crime as he wanted a predator/prey relationship... with someone he thought was human. He wasn't turned in one "date"/bite and he had to have some love for the woman in question so what was going on?

A woman. Known
A young girl. It was a vampire, after all.
A student. Well, I'd imagine it wasn't one of his students. Does that make it better?

Is the "victim" aspect preventing people from making the association that it was the ring itself that reached the teacher rather than the material?

And,finally, how many innocent vampires has Anko killed?
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:46 pm Reply with quote
WOW Anko was creepy AF in this episode. Between the facial expressions and her movements, she really gives off those "I'm totally unhinged" vibes. Shocked

Kou-kun is really cool for standing up to her and speaking his mind though. I love when characters hug each other for comfort. It somehow feels like there's more meaning than when they kiss...but that moment on the bed was also a good tease Embarassed

Nazuna is also really good at reading Kou; she immediately knew something happened through just SECONDS of interaction with him. Which is awesome. It shows how close they've gotten.

Anko speculates what some others have said about Kou 'maybe he's actually aromantic/asexual'...but considering that he shows attraction to women and gets very jealous when other men hit on Nazuna, I don't think that's the case, personally. Like yes, 'friends' can get jealous too...but his reaction was quite the "Stay away from my woman" type of jealousy. He grabbed her hand and literally dragged her away from them.
That isn't something you do with a friend; that is something you do with someone you are dating. Rolling Eyes

I don't think his feelings are deep enough to be called 'love'...but he is definitely crushing by now.

This could also fall under the trope of 'Single Target Sexual Attraction' if Nazuna is indeed the only one he seems to get these feelings around.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3