• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Grave of the Fireflies (movie).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:22 pm Reply with quote

Grave of the Fireflies (movie)

Source: Short Story (by Akiyuki Nosaka)

Demographic: Everyone

Animation Studio:
Studio Ghibli
Shinchosha

Genres: drama

Themes: historical, tragedy, war, World War II

Plot Summary: On the final days of World War II, 14-year-old Seita and his 4-year-old sister Setsuko are orphaned after their mother is killed during an air raid by American forces in Kobe, Japan.

After having a falling out with their aunt, they move into an abandoned bomb shelter. With no surviving relatives and their emergency funds and rations depleted, Seita and Setsuko must struggle to survive their hardships as well as those of their country, which is on the losing end of the war.

Air Date & Platform:
April 16, 1988 (Saturday)
Available on: HIDIVE

Episode Count / Runtime: 88 minutes
----------------------------------

I started this thing to get myself to watch Studio Ghibli movies.

I've been an anime fan for almost 30 years, now, but had never seen a Ghibli movie all the way through until the past couple of years (and only the first two; Nausicaä and Castle in the Sky). So I'm going down the list chronologically and doing one movie a day with an initial speed-watch just to absorb the plot, but will go back, later, and eventually give formal reviews to each one with all the fancy hoopla I usually do.

For movies, I think I will divide them into 20-minute chunks and treat said chunks like an episode of anime. This way, I can get more in-depth with the plot and comments, but also post more screen caps overall, since movies tend to have much higher production values to show off.

To my surprise, I discovered there doesn't seem to be an official discussion thread for this beautifully tragic film. There are threads that talk about various topics concerning this in the Anime sub-forum, but a lot of them are pretty scattered or a bit dated. I also did some quick searches in the Index for the first two films I watched, but those don't seem to have official threads either. So it looks like I'll be spamming Series Discussion with Ghibli movie threads Anime catgrin.

Y'all don't have to wait for me to start my thing, though. If anybody wants to talk about these movies in the meantime, by all means, feel free to. It'll probably take me a couple of weeks just to finish the list, anyway, while still trying to keep up with seasonal series and reviewing some of those. But I will make a thread after watching each respective movie to start setting things up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1