• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode numbers wrong for Toriko videos

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
XtremeAnimeDan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:38 pm Reply with quote
I know there's probably not much that can be done with this, but the videos for Toriko matchup with the FUNi episode numbers which don't include the real episode 1, the crossover with One Piece. As a result, all the videos are off by 1. Episode 1 should be with 2, 2 with 3, 3 with 4, etc.

About the only way I can think this might be corrected is if the episode 1 listed becomes a special or episode 0 here at Anime News Network. That would allow us to change 2 o 1, 3 to 2, 4 to 3, etc. so the videos would match-up with the episode numbers.
braves

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:58 pm Reply with quote
But then I'd have to change all of my precisions on the Toriko page. Anime cry

I brought this up before and I didn't get a response from the Tech team here. Honestly, the only one who's inconsistent with everybody else is FUNimation with the numbering on their videos. The official site lists the One Piece crossover as "episode 1", so I think it's up to FUNimation to get in line with everybody else (unless Toei doesn't want them to for some weird reason). However, ANN can at least move all the videos down to match up to the correct number, right?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:45 pm Reply with quote
This might get a faster response if reported in the Bugs & Technical Questions forum.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:41 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
But then I'd have to change all of my precisions on the Toriko page. Anime cry

I brought this up before and I didn't get a response from the Tech team here. Honestly, the only one who's inconsistent with everybody else is FUNimation with the numbering on their videos. The official site lists the One Piece crossover as "episode 1", so I think it's up to FUNimation to get in line with everybody else (unless Toei doesn't want them to for some weird reason). However, ANN can at least move all the videos down to match up to the correct number, right?

Toei's officially numbering for the episodes internationally is 1 different than the numbering in Japan. That is a decision made by Toei themselves, and Funimation is following the episode numbering given to them for the official streams.
braves

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for clearing that up. I'm not surprised Toei did that if that's the case.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:47 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Thanks for clearing that up. I'm not surprised Toei did that if that's the case.

It's due to the way that extra episode is handled for licensing abroad, I think.

One Piece and Toriko are separate licensed, and I'm sure they don't want to restrict the possible buyers of Toriko to only the company they licensed one piece to in the respective territory (the world is bigger than just the US here anyway).

So effectively, licensing of that crossover episode has been sliced out as a separate property. Therefore when selling the show they have to start with episode 1, not episode 2.

It would have been smarter for them to call the crossover episode 0 in the beginning in Japan, but it's too late now.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:34 pm Reply with quote
This off-by-one problem is soooo specific to this series that I didn't want to add special code just to handle this one case. I had a hard time finding a suitable solution but I finally managed something with javascript.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1