• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Chocolate Bund Cake

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Basically the kodomo part never was necessary in the first place.

The kodomo part is pretty essential to the story. If she was not in a kid form she would either be fulfilling her womanly duty or she would be discarded as useless by her antagonists. Neither case would allow her much freedom to go to Japan and form a Bund for herself and other vamps.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Kakugo wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
She only took the form of a pre-pubescent in order to dissuade her pursuers. Why couldn't she have taken the form of a post menopausal instead?

Because the Three Clans only spared Mina's life with the implicit plan that she'd bear one of them an heir, ensuring that one of the Three Clans could legitimately enter into the Royal Family, giving what was essentially a pack of murderers a "Legitimate" way to topple the last opposition. Had Mina presented herself as a post-menopausal anything she'd have been slaughtered.

Okay. maybe I'm missing something here. Admittedly, I didn't pay too much attention to this show when I watched it, but aren't pre-pubescent and post-menopausal both incapable of fertility? I thought that was the excuse for taking the child's form in the first place. And the fact that she could transform into her "true" form, which was fertile. (?)

edited: ArsenicSteel answer works for me, as well as it can. Thanks for sparing me the re-watch of this show. (we must have posted at the same time...)

Last edited by tuxedocat on Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:45 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
Hypeathon wrote:
here-and-faraway wrote:
This scenario is one of my pet peeve's too. Or even worse, when the character's life is in danger and he/she still attends school. I know school is a great place to move the plot along, but still...

Not only that but how can you be centuries old and not know how to cook at all? I mean, that's just....... being f****** lazy with your life.

She is a vampire so eating normal food let alone cooking normal food is not something she does since vampires would not be able to taste it.

They do establish that she can't taste food... but this opens up a whole realm of possibilities I hadn't considered. What if you were a 1,000 year old vampire? Cooking techniques, the availability of ingredients, and public tastes have changed pretty rapidly in the last 40-60 years. It would probably seem extra-ridiculous if you only cooked once per decade.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:54 pm Reply with quote
When I heard the title the first thing that came to mind was the German American Bund. And I thought to myself, there must be a history text out there called Dance in the German American Bund.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:23 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
[
Okay. maybe I'm missing something here. Admittedly, I didn't pay too much attention to this show when I watched it, but aren't pre-pubescent and post-menopausal both incapable of fertility? I thought that was the excuse for taking the child's form in the first place. And the fact that she could transform into her "true" form, which was fertile. (?)

edited: ArsenicSteel answer works for me, as well as it can. Thanks for sparing me the re-watch of this show. (we must have posted at the same time...)

You REALLY didn't pay attention to the show. There is no such thing as a post-menopausal vampire. And even if there was, that would mean she'd be older then the three lords, and that's impossible. I'm impressed by how many people say they hated this show, watched it anyway, but didn't understand a damn thing about it. Why did you watch it in t he first place?
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:28 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
[

You REALLY didn't pay attention to the show. There is no such thing as a post-menopausal vampire. And even if there was, that would mean she'd be older then the three lords, and that's impossible. I'm impressed by how many people say they hated this show, watched it anyway, but didn't understand a damn thing about it. Why did you watch it in t he first place?

At the time it was a big deal and everyone was talking about it. I wanted to see what the big deal was about. It wasn't.

Quote:
There is no such thing as a post-menopausal vampire.

Huh? LOL.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:27 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
I am liking what I've been seeing from them. (here's hoping they, or someone, will license the rest of Yawara!)

Oh that would make me a happy, happy girl.
maaya

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Every time I hear the title Dance in the Vampire Bund, I first think of the word bung, and then of delicious bundt cake.

Of course, "bund" and "bundt" are the same word, as is "bound". And refers to the shape of the cake, or to an alliance or a union, which was probably the intention of the author of DitVB.

Quote:
Surely someone has made a vampire themed bundt cake by now, with raspberry syrup on top or inside…

That association must be very "english-speaker only", because the cake is called differently in Japanese. So you'll probably have to make that cake yourself.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:24 am Reply with quote
vash:
Quote:
Not the ones on Mars. He just kills them callously, and they move on, and it's never mentioned again.

Um, it's been a while, so I read the episode summary on Wikipedia, and the one he kills on Mars is a thief and a murderer...

Quote:
I love that you chose Magneto as your analogy, since that supports my argument, what with Magneto being a villain.

He's not really a villain, more like an extremist.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:09 am Reply with quote
Ugh, Dance in The Vampire Bund.

I don't have a problem with nudity. Even underage nudity, or else I wouldn't be able to watch My Neighbour Totoro. The problem with DiTVB is that the nudity is so obviously in there to appeal to lolicon fans- usually you can just switch your brain off and say "this transformation sequence is probably supposed to be titillating, but I'm just going to cling to the belief that the director was trying to be artsy by having the protagonist's clothes explode off for no apparent reason".

That's not possible here. The series might as well have a giant sign hanging over every scene in which Mina is on-screen saying "hey lolicon fans, are you getting turned on yet? This is pretty hot, right? Right?"
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"this transformation sequence is probably supposed to be titillating, but I'm just going to cling to the belief that the director was trying to be artsy by having the protagonist's clothes explode off for no apparent reason".

If the director is Shinbo then that wouldn't be too far from the truth.

Quote:

The series might as well have a giant sign hanging over every scene in which Mina is on-screen saying "hey lolicon fans, are you getting turned on yet? This is pretty hot, right? Right?"

I am a fan of loli and DiTVB was pretty sparse in arousing imaginary because a topless scene doesn't necessarily equate to sexual arousal. Mina seems confident and comfortable with her body and her nude scenes to me feel more like looking at a nudist that is a bit of an extrovert rather than a character to masturbate to.

Sigh. This is going nowhere this is the same bunch of people that called Nanoha pedo-training material because of some silhouette'd transformation sequences. Oh no a body line.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:35 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:

Sigh. This is going nowhere this is the same bunch of people that called Nanoha pedo-training material because of some silhouette'd transformation sequences. Oh no a body line.

Well, the one thing I can take solace in is the fact Japan makes more and more of this stuff. Not only because I enjoy it, but the fact that it pisses so many prudes off is like a delicious icing on a very moist cake. And yes, that was inuendo.
maaya

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:48 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:

If I remember correctly in the new movie she is actually simply naked and you see everything. That was indeed shocking to see imho (didn't remember the tv series going that far).
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:53 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:

If I remember correctly in the new movie she is actually simply naked and you see everything. That was indeed shocking to see imho.

I've seen the movie. The girls have nipples albeit very small nipples, but you only see them a few times.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:08 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:
It's werewolf warrior slave and vampire princess, but there were no human characters central to the plot to give me an emotional connection.

Weird. I find relating to emotions to be more important than just being known as human. A doggie poo or talking cars can be related to given enough emotion.

Yeah, I found that a very weird comment, too. that poster is usually a little sharper than that, but I guess everybody can have on off day. I can understand somebody saying they couldn't form an emotional connection with Mina or Akira because the show didn't do a compelling enough job with their characterization, but just because they're not "human"? Dumb.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6