• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-03-16]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The biggest reason I taught that FMA was a bad dub is that it lacked energy.

Today class, we will discuss why it is that anime dubs are teh suxxks Wink

you're actually arguing fairly well, it's just an unintentionally hilarious spelling mistake/typo.
RDespair

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:42 am Reply with quote
Back in the day, I remembered that the subtitled versions of several series cost noticeably more than the dubbed version with $20/$30 being the common split. Now you can interpret this in many different ways, but I see it as indicating that the companies felt like the dub version was the mainstream version whereas the subtitled version was the more niche product (hence the higher price).

And yeah, the rant was particularly annoying in how it started out saying it wasn't a dub vs sub rant and then immediately started bashing dubs. Complaining about dubs increasing the cost for anime seems rather misguided: thanks to dubs, anime has gained a wider fanbase which in turns means that it's less of a niche product with the result that anime all around has been getting cheaper and cheaper. It still shocks me that I can walk into Best Buy these days and pick up an entire season of an anime series for not only less than a $100, but less than $50.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TakinawaTonfa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:

I've never really understood what people mean when they say "this dub lacks/has more energy". It seems like something too subjective to be used as proper praise or criticism.

I'm sure I have the IDEA of what it means, but based on my thoughts about it, I'd say that the FMA dub has a lot more energy, and just all in all surpasses the original Japanese version, and when a performance can actually get you to shed some tears, you know its good.
Strephon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:09 pm Reply with quote
RDespair wrote:
Back in the day, I remembered that the subtitled versions of several series cost noticeably more than the dubbed version with $20/$30 being the common split. Now you can interpret this in many different ways, but I see it as indicating that the companies felt like the dub version was the mainstream version whereas the subtitled version was the more niche product (hence the higher price).

I've always assumed that was partially due to economies of scale--while I don't know the relative amount of sales of each version to fans, I do remember that most video stores (certainly major chains like Blockbuster) almost always had the dubbed rather than the subbed version.
0utf0xZer0

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:59 pm Reply with quote
RDespair wrote:
It still shocks me that I can walk into Best Buy these days and pick up an entire season of an anime series for not only less than a $100, but less than $50.

Assuming that Best Buy is located in the US and not Canada.

Re: FMA dub... are there particular scenes that I need to see before making a judgement? Because the little bit of the series I've heard sounded overdramatic to me (though I wouldn't know if this is specific to the English version or part of the script in general).
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:21 pm Reply with quote
0utf0xZer0 wrote:

Re: FMA dub... are there particular scenes that I need to see before making a judgement? Because the little bit of the series I've heard sounded overdramatic to me (though I wouldn't know if this is specific to the English version or part of the script in general).

It all depends on your preference. I'll watch the dub if I'm too lazy to read subs or if I'm watching with family who are too lazy to read subs, because as dubs go it's pretty good, even though some of the characters' personalities were changed drastically from the Japanese (Ed and Roy come to mind immediately). I'd suggest watching a few episodes with a lot of characters in them dubbed (like episode 13 or 37) to see if you like it. Just don't watch anything with Al talking for extended periods of time if you want a positive impression of the dub. I've said it before, that kid has one of the sweetest voices I've ever heard, but he can't act.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArielTsuki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:16 pm Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:
Quote:

Today class, we will discuss why it is that anime dubs are teh suxxks Wink

you're actually arguing fairly well, it's just an unintentionally hilarious spelling mistake/typo.

LULZ. Yeah, I tried to do my best even though it was 3:15 in the morn. Sometimes it's hard to catch all of the typos.
MissAsako

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:11 pm Reply with quote
About the yaoi/gay thing...
I think thats taking it too far. I have a friend thats like all "ZOMG GLOMP". She's not like it about yaoi, its just in general. Sometimes she'll pretend I'm some anime character she loves and she will just attack me screaming out their name.
ITS TAKING IT TOO FARRRR.
I think it's so stupid. Crossing anime and real life together is bound for trouble.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Mephistophilus wrote:
Audiobook "actors" will probably never be an option for the anime dubbing world, as an audiobook voice actor would probably not step outside that particular community in the first place, let alone for a totally different medium.

Umm... no. There are some anime dub actors that actually have done audiobooks - I know there are at least a few NY-based ones. And there also plenty that do other mediums of acting like commerical, theatre, etc.
TheVok

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:02 pm Reply with quote
ArielTsuki wrote:

Ed (which Vic did a fantastic job of doing)

... but was too old for.

The Japanese soundtrack for FMA followed the time-honoured tradition of casting adult women to provide boys' voices ... see also Nancy Cartwright as Bart, Nelson, Ralph Wiggum and others on 'The Simpsons' or Pamela Adlon as Bobby Hill on 'King of the Hill.'

That works fairly well, but the American version's casting a child to voice one of the Elric brothers and an adult to voice the other was completely inappropriate. Al wound up sounding about 8, while Ed sounded more like 20.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Edit: I just remembered something... Hellsing is set in England. Since I've only seen it in Japanese, I have to ask... does it have accents? Because I can't decide whether that would be awesome or put the wrench in that idea.

Oh man! You're kidding! You don't know what you're missing. Yes, they have British accents (real ones, too!) except for Alucard, Anderson, and the Valentine brothers. As far as I'm concerned you haven't really seen Hellsing until you've seen the English dub. Crispin Freeman's Alucard is awesome!
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Kenotic wrote:

This came up elsewhere for me, too. Anime fans were throwing around useless stats like "80% of fans just watch it subtitled anyway, why dub it?"

I've read that on a forum and I have to say that is a load of bull. Back in the good old VHS days, dubs were sold more than the subs. It was hard to find subs because stores knew that the niche market was in the dubs. Subs are gaining more popularity because they are more avaiable, but it isn't even close to 80%. On ANNs polls it was only like 50%.

Voice acting in anime is harder than it looks. They have to watch it and speak accordingly to the anime. In Japan, it's easier because they record the voice then do to animation. Also, they have to listen to the Japanese voice to mimic it. The dubbing is better in English because I have seen in subs where mouths are moving when there isn't anyone talking than a second later the voice comes. I haven't seen an English dub when they were a second off with the voice.
SnowStar_7*

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I watch most of my anime dubbed. If anyone says that the majority of anime fans watch their's dubbed they are completely mistaken. Most of the recent anime fans that have been made are those that have watched dubbed stuff on the Cartoon Network, and more than probably like myself have grown accostomed to primarily watching their anime dubbed. Just like those who first watched their anime subbed grew accostomed to watching it that way and still do.

I've heard samples and have read reviews on some audiobooks and some tend to be rather horrible just as some dubs and some subs tend to be. Nothing is 100% perfect. There are alot of voice actors/actresses out there. I could name you a few voice actors in dubs who so their characters exceptionally well, and who you can perhaps even say surpass their sub counterpart. But, of course some people just want to stay firm with their own idea and do not want to give dubs a fair chance.

Murasakisuishou wrote:
Just don't watch anything with Al talking for extended periods of time if you want a positive impression of the dub. I've said it before, that kid has one of the sweetest voices I've ever heard, but he can't act.

It's been awhile since I have heard the dub. I've heard the voice actor in three roles. As Hiro in Fruits Basket, Ion in Trinity Blood, and Al in FMA. For some reason the only role I actually thought he did very good in was as Al. I enjoyed the sincere emotion he gave in that role. I felt he lacked that in the other two.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Kenotic wrote:

Keep in mind that a lot of anime "fans" aren't the hard-core, ANN bookmarked, rant responding types who know about a series release months before it shows up in the US or the UK. They found Cowboy Bebop on some late evening and checked it out, or maybe they caught Kiki's Delivery Service on Disney. Casual fans make up a fair amount of the anime world, and they should never be belittled. I doubt I would have watched Voltron in the mid 80s if it were subtitled.

Exactly, when I started watching anime, I wouldn't have watched a subtitled episode for all the tea in China. I would have run in the opposite direction. In fact, for the first couple of years, I refused to watch subtitles. I didn't start watching subtitles until I bought my DVD player in 2000 along with my first DVDs and I thought that I'd give it a shot. These days, I watch the subtitled version first and later watch the dub. Rarely do I have a complaint about either, mainly because I get absorbed in the story.

BTW - concerning the glomping fan-girl...I asked a co-worker of mine today who is gay (I had to explain what glomping was - is glomping an anime term becuase he didn't know what it was and he's 19) what he would do if someone did that to him. His reply: "I'd scream and begin hitting her with my purse!"

So, hopefully the letter writer will show this thread to her friend and tell her to stop doing that to people before she gets hurt, trouble and/or arrested!
Kouji

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:27 pm Reply with quote
mistress_reebi wrote:

Voice acting in anime is harder than it looks. They have to watch it and speak accordingly to the anime. In Japan, it's easier because they record the voice then do to animation.
Um, no they don't. The animation is still produced first in Japan and the Japanese voice artists still do the voice acting afterwards. If you watch the making of Spirited Away extra on the R1 DVD, you can even see Chihiro's Japanese VA having trouble trying to keep up with the lip movement and put emotion into her part during a scene. She even had to go back and re-do that same scene over several times because she kept screwing up until she got it right. The only difference between voice acting for anime in Japan and voice acting for anime in North America is that the Japanese do it together in groups whereas the English VAs do it separately.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 19