• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Rurouni Kenshin Haiku Contest

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clodus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There are no restrictions on how many times you can enter.

I tried entering twice with 2 different haikus but it didn't let me. Is this an error? If it isnt then dang my second one was so much better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
topleka

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Looking at the discussion about Sano's name raises a few questions.

I assume we all agree that "Yahiko" is three syllables. What about "Kaoru?" Do you count that as "Kao-ru" or "Ka-o-ru?" What about Kenshin? "Ken-shin" or "Ke-n-shi-n?"
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:06 pm Reply with quote
For Japanese words we're going to go with the "spoken aloud, properly pronounced" rule.

So Kenshin is 2 syllables. Kaoru would be 3, as is Yahiko and Misao, and so on.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
RiskyTheShinigami wrote:
If you are going
To write this type of poem
Check the syllables

...and don't mix in Japanese if you can't count moras.

In typical slurred pronunciation Sanosuke is three 'syllables', but it is four moras (Sa-no-su-ke). And since the last line is in Japanese, with the proper number of moras, it makes it particularly glaring.

</hobbyless>

Spoken aloud it works, you pedant. I counted the moras, made more sense as three syllables. It isn't pronounced "sa-no-su-ke". Saying it that way would be incorrect.

Nerds.

Zac wrote:
For Japanese words we're going to go with the "spoken aloud, properly pronounced" rule.

So Kenshin is 2 syllables. Kaoru would be 3, as is Yahiko and Misao, and so on.

左之助= Sa+no+su+ke. In Japanese, the "su" often comes across as an "s" sound, but it is definitely its own syllable. This is called a devoiced vowel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_phonology#Devoicing). I say this in the utmost confidence, as like the nerd you disagreed with earlier, I also have a third level education background in Japanese language.

I am unacquainted with your "spoken aloud, properly pronounced" rule. If I was writing a Japanese Haiku, Sanosuke would be four syllables. Kenshin would also be four syllables: ke+n+shi+n.

It's understandable that non-Japanese speakers would be unfamiliar with how the words break down. I love your podcast Zac, and I sympathize your frustration in dealing with the particularily irritating members of the fandom. However, I think for your contest you should stick to the native Japanese understanding of mora; there are too many variations in pronunciation among fans in North America and favouring one over the other would seem arbitrary and unfair.

EDIT: And to think I entertained the thought of chiding your usage of "haiku" when you're probably looking for "senryū". :p
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:19 pm Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:

左之助= Sa+no+su+ke. In Japanese, the "su" often comes across as an "s" sound, but it is definitely its own syllable. This is called a devoiced vowel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_phonology#Devoicing). I say this in the utmost confidence, as like the nerd you disagreed with earlier, I also have a third level education background in Japanese language.

I am unacquainted with your "spoken aloud, properly pronounced" rule. If I was writing a Japanese Haiku, Sanosuke would be four syllables. Kenshin would also be four syllables: ke+n+shi+n.

It's understandable that non-Japanese speakers would be unfamiliar with how the words break down. I love your podcast Zac, and I sympathize your frustration in dealing with the particularily irritating members of the fandom. However, I think for your contest you should stick to the native Japanese understanding of mora; there are too many variations in pronunciation among fans in North America and favouring one over the other would seem arbitrary and unfair.

We're writing Haikus in English using some Japanese names and phrases (although you don't have to actually use any Japanese words in your haiku if you don't want to), and so it's going to be awkward with the syllables no matter how you cut it.

Sound it out as you're writing and let it flow naturally. If it sounds like 3 syllables to you, great, I'm sure we'll understand what you were going for. Haiku is poetry, not a mathematical equation. Yeah, we need to follow the 575 format as closely as possible but if someone goes over by one or under or something that's fine. So long as you're not wildly off and turning in limericks or copypasting Prufrock or something it's OK.

And the judging is completely arbitrary regardless of how technically accurate someone's syllable count is. We want clever or pretty or funny, and so long as you're pretty close to the right syllable count, it's fine.

Just relax, bros. It's all good.
lascd123

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Great idea for a contest! I submitted my first haiku, and then came up with a far better one, but I can't enter my second submission Sad
Please fix the submission system so that I can share more of my unique brand of poetic butchery!
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:20 am Reply with quote
lascd123 wrote:
Great idea for a contest! I submitted my first haiku, and then came up with a far better one, but I can't enter my second submission Sad
Please fix the submission system so that I can share more of my unique brand of poetic butchery!

That's strange. Other folks have been submitting multiple entries. I'll look into it!

By the way, the first batch of haiku are up! Others will be posted soon.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:29 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
lascd123 wrote:

That's strange. Other folks have been submitting multiple entries. I'll look into it!

Maybe there's an elapsed time requirement, maybe 1 haiku per 15 minutes, so people would not just rapid-fire haiku one after another as soon as they think of one without letting it settle first. Laughing
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:47 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Maybe there's an elapsed time requirement, maybe 1 haiku per 15 minutes, so people would not just rapid-fire haiku one after another as soon as they think of one without letting it settle first. Laughing

No. My first Haiku was put in at about 7am. I didn't try to put my next one in until about 1pm.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Clodus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:55 am Reply with quote
Its the same for me as well. When I tried to post up another one. it says, "Sorry, but you have already entered that contest"
MARIALEA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:25 am Reply with quote
i can't do a second haiku either. i was able to using my second email but i still can't do more than one per email adress. please fix it soon.
liquidfreedom88

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:45 am Reply with quote
same here, i got another haiku coming but always get the notice

perhaps something to do with the region i live? Rolling Eyes

im in indonesia
crossbred900

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:12 pm Reply with quote
liquidfreedom88 wrote:

perhaps something to do with the region i live? Rolling Eyes

im in indonesia

I'm in the U.S. and can't enter a second, so it isn't a region issue.
liquidfreedom88

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:34 pm Reply with quote
then, is it okay to use whateveryoumaycallit email? Laughing

i have used 3 email (just make a new one) quite something to make another one
xxAwesomeLucyxx

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:34 pm Reply with quote
lascd123 wrote:

I've got the same problem on this end. I hate poetry, but I've come up with a metric butt-load of haiku that i can't submit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6