• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Rurouni Kenshin Haiku Contest

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:31 am Reply with quote
Basho, Issa and Buson raise their cups. “Look,” they say, “the children are busy writing poetry in the summer! Well done ANN.”
LeftHandedBassist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:35 am Reply with quote
Two days since I submitted mine and still isn't up? Not cool.

Specially since most of the ones that are up already are really not deserving of the free blu-ray.
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:41 pm Reply with quote
@LeftHandedBassist
I would think the delay is because of the large influx of haikus, since this is an easily-entered contest for an expensive product of a highly-regarded OVA.

I can't wait to see which 25 haikus were ranked highest... and then the winning haiku. (By the way, Tuesday is the 23rd, not the 24th.)
liquidfreedom88

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:04 pm Reply with quote
i think its because how people free to enter many times so that the entries probably lining up. i dont think i will win the blu ray, im just taking the fun of making words out of my fav childhood anime Very Happy
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:26 am Reply with quote
Most of the entries should be up by now. We have a lot of entries... a large chunk of them are from the same 4 users, actually. So that's slowing down the process a little.

Thanks for being patient.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:31 am Reply with quote
LeftHandedBassist wrote:
Specially since most of the ones that are up already are really not deserving of the free blu-ray.

The beauty of the ranking system is that the ones that "are really not deserving of the free blu-ray"... likely aren't going to get it. The way the voting is set up, even if you're one of the first entries to be posted, if it's not good, it's not good. You'd be surprised by how harshly and consistently users are ranking the entries.
liquidfreedom88

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:43 am Reply with quote
I've got a question,

does the name displayed below the haikus represent the figure that writing the haikus along with the feeling of situation he/she writes?

i mean, does it feel out of place if in the haikus i wrote represent Kenshin's situation but i write my name on the displayed name?
LeftHandedBassist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:35 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
We have a lot of entries... a large chunk of them are from the same 4 users, actually.

Now, that's stupid. For things like this I think there should have been a limit, something between 5 or 10 so people wouldn't complain so much. If they couldn't come up with a good haiku within that limit... well, too bad.

SakechanBD wrote:
You'd be surprised by how harshly and consistently users are ranking the entries.

Ah, this give me a glimmer of hope. Judging by the amount of nonsense entries, I thought the general taste would be the same. Good thing I was wrong this time.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:02 am Reply with quote
季語のない 俳句は俳句 と呼べない
kigo no nai haiku wa haiku to yobenai

Haiku poems that
don't have a seasonal word
are not called "haiku"

(Well, in Japan at least, they're not. As another poster mentioned, they're called "senryuu")
Dorian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:35 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
季語のない 俳句は俳句 と呼べない
kigo no nai haiku wa haiku to yobenai

Haiku poems that
don't have a seasonal word
are not called "haiku"

(Well, in Japan at least, they're not. As another poster mentioned, they're called "senryuu")

Let’s not get too crazy with this little game. The Japanese have an ancient rich culture. They have been studying and creating haiku for centuries. They have a formalized list of season code words or kigo, many of which would not be obvious to us gaijin. The ANN staff is hosting a game wherein we can write amusing little poems. Let's play it in the spirit offered.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:39 pm Reply with quote
liquidfreedom88 wrote:
I've got a question,

does the name displayed below the haikus represent the figure that writing the haikus along with the feeling of situation he/she writes?

i mean, does it feel out of place if in the haikus i wrote represent Kenshin's situation but i write my name on the displayed name?

....? I'm not entirely sure I understand your question. The name displayed below the haiku is simply the author of each haiku...

OH I think I see what you're referring to. No, most people are using their own pseudonyms/handles/names.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:41 pm Reply with quote
LeftHandedBassist wrote:

SakechanBD wrote:
You'd be surprised by how harshly and consistently users are ranking the entries.

Ah, this give me a glimmer of hope. Judging by the amount of nonsense entries, I thought the general taste would be the same. Good thing I was wrong this time.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. The haiku that were posted in the first batch (1-50) have retained the same average ranking throughout the week. I have this mathematically worked out so that the good haiku rise to the top, regardless of when they're posted.
gwern

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:54 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

The beauty of the ranking system is that the ones that "are really not deserving of the free blu-ray"... likely aren't going to get it. The way the voting is set up, even if you're one of the first entries to be posted, if it's not good, it's not good. You'd be surprised by how harshly and consistently users are ranking the entries.

I don't speak for anyone but myself, but I'd be fascinated to hear more about the statistics. I ranked all 300 fairly harshly since I'm pretty familiar with haikus although I prefer classical wakas, and I am a little surprised to hear that. (I remember reading a long statistics article on how to calculate averages properly while accounting for time; are you using those methods?)
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:19 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Most of the entries should be up by now. We have a lot of entries... a large chunk of them are from the same 4 users, actually. So that's slowing down the process a little.

Even thought I'm not participating, thats kinda stupid. How do you guys know that the intentional "stuffing the ballot box" is skewing giving everyone a favorable chance to win? I could see if each entrant was limited to 5 haiku's total restricted in some way (e-mail or IP addy), but when you have 4 people throwing in tons of entries and your admittance that these 4 folks are "messing up the process" is kinda off-putting to say the least.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:21 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:

Even thought I'm not participating, thats kinda stupid. How do you guys know that the intentional "stuffing the ballot box" is skewing giving everyone a favorable chance to win? I could see if each entrant was limited to 5 haiku's total restricted in some way (e-mail or IP addy), but when you have 4 people throwing in tons of entries and your admittance that these 4 folks are "messing up the process" is kinda off-putting to say the least.

To add to that, among the last 100 entries posted, I noticed at least one literal repeat-- two of the same haiku by the same user. This was in entry batch 201-250, twice:
Quote:
Himura Kenshin
Yukishiro Tomoe
The sheath and the sword
-- whiteplums

While I'm assuming that one might've been sent in at least twice because of the apparent delay in posting entries-- hell, I was thinking of doing that because I thought one of mine didn't get sent in-- I'm still a bit disappointed that this wasn't taken narrowed down to one. I can't pick out any more specific haiku, but I think its certainly possible that there are a few other repeats scattered around. I'm just wondering, then: how are the votes going to be tallied for these same-author-same-haiku entries, in preparation for the top 25?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6