• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: BusinessWeek Article on Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:28 am Reply with quote
Anyone who thinks that article lacked content and more valid information, isn't looking at it from a business point of view. Your average Business Week reader is just that, your average very busy business professional who might work in media, or as a fund manager looking for a product, or company that has the potential for increased profits and so increase return on investment. They could care less what title anyone thinks is the best, or ought to be the best. This is a story that says "hey guy's there's a bright sparkly shimmering in the dirt! Take a closer look, it could be another Blue Diamond if Hollywood are so interested too!" Believe me if they stop to take a look, they will find out about the other companies also involved in anime and manga, if they are any good at their jobs.
Is ADV on the NYSE? Wink
Iritscen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:51 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I guess you're right, Mohawk52. This is BusinessWeek, not LearnAboutOtherPeople'sNicheInterestsWeek.

It just galls me every time I read an article where the writer was unable to, completely incapable of, avoiding the terms "short skirts", "robot", and "big eyes". Which is every article I read.

Right now I'm avidly watching Tylor (TV), which has little "mechanical combat" and even fewer short skirts. I'm reading Prince of Tennis, Cromartie High, and Trigun, which are likewise bereft of mecha and short skirts.

Reading the article feels like I'm Greek, and someone is purporting to speak my language: "You speak-a the Greek? Me too! Gyros! Feta! Souvlaki!". It's like a bad parody of the reasons I became an anime fan. That's what irritates me (I do love Gundam and other mecha series, though, so it's not as if I turn my nose up at anime/manga stereotypes).

But in pure business terms, yeah, it does convey the point that anime = money. Oh well. Maybe I just need to chill out and accept that no journalists "get it". But that's why I was wondering if anyone remembered seeing a story recently on anime somewhere on (U.S.) TV. Because it actually sounded well-done.
Kouji

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:08 am Reply with quote
With all the hype the article makes about anime being big business for Hollywood, I was disappointed that the article didn't include anything about Warner Bros producing the live-action Speed Racer movie. I think that would've been more relevant to the article than James Cameron's live-action Battle Angel Alita proposal that's never going to go anywhere.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:13 am Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
With all the hype the article makes about anime being big business for Hollywood, I was disappointed that the article didn't include anything about Warner Bros producing the live-action Speed Racer movie. I think that would've been more relevant to the article than James Cameron's live-action Battle Angel Alita proposal that's never going to go anywhere.

Good point. I didn't even think about the Speed Racer film. I'd love to see an Alita film, but since the SR film is actually in production, that was probably more worth mentioning (or at least a mention alongside the mention of the Alita film).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2