• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga series that you dropped?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScarredSwordHeart

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Bleach because it seemed like a whole lot of nothing was happening at a very slow pace.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Saishu_Heiki_Kanojo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:07 am Reply with quote
Bleach: I've heard many saying how awesome this series is, and I liked the first volume, but I dropped it after that. It isn't that interesting IMO.

InuYasha: I first saw the anime adaptation last year, and it got me into anime. I finished the anime, and then decided to read the manga. But because I lost interest in it, and because I had too much to catch up on, I decided to pass on the manga, at least for now. Especially since I've started both "Ranma 1/2" and "Maison Ikkoku", which in my opinion, are much, much better series.
lijakaca

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I drop a lot of shoujo manga after the first 5 or 6 volumes because unlikely, annoying things happen to keep the plot going or nothing happens and it gets boring.
Series that have done this-sorry, I can't remember the English names:
Hanazakari no Kimitachi e
Koucha Ouji
Parfaittic
Hana Yori Dango
Peach Girl

And some series I just don't want to bother getting the tanks until it finishes:
Skip Beat
Tail of the Moon
Fruits Basket

I find that shounen titles also get very repetitive after about 5-10 volumes - Yu Yu Hakusho, Dragon Ball, BOY, Ranma, Inuyasha, etc. Hey, what can I say, I'm impatient. It would be a much shorter list of series that I actually read all the way through without skipping Rolling Eyes

=====
blogs.ign.com/lijakaca - Otome Gaming Blog
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:08 am Reply with quote
Mid-way through volume 4, I have decided to drop Angel Sanctuary. It just hasn't grabbed me and I also find it just plain hard to read at times. There are just too many characters and I can't keep them straight and I can't keep the storylines straight and in the end, while it is interesting, I just don't care enough to continue.
electricity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:45 am Reply with quote
Fruits Basket - It seemed like a whole lot of nothing was happening aside from new people being constantly introduced, and I just didn't want to keep track of them all. I did skip to the ending and read spoilers though, so I have an idea of the ending.

Angel Sanctuary, Wish, X/1999 - It's debatable whether I dropped these or never started. I read part of the first volume and couldn't managed to keep slogging through. It just... no.

Naruto, Bleach, FullMetal Alchemist, Prince of Tennis - While I haven't entirely dropped these for good, I also haven't read any new chapters in a long time. I may finish them one day yet, especially if the series wraps up soon. If so, I'd finish them just to finish the series, not because I was still interested in the story at the end. Each of these series started well, but either deteriorated towards the end or just dragged on too long and I lost interest.

There are many more, but I think these are the more popular ones that I've tried and just failed at finishing.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Usagi Drop For one reason and one reason only, what happens after book 4. Don't know what I'm talking about? Be glad, it ruined my impression of the manga forever, especially after I read what people said what happens in the end of the series. I couldn't take it so I just dropped it after book 4 although I do glance at books 5 and 6 when I'm at book stores sometimes. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

Last edited by yotsubafanfan on Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Dropped Kyou Koi Hajimemasu and HoneyxHoney Drops because
THIS AUTHOR DISGUSTS ME!!

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

Stop giving shoujo manga a bad name, you shitty, misogynistic women-hating authors! Twisted Evil

Tsubasa .....CLAMP, it looks like shoujo manga is the only thing you don't f*ck up in the middle!
......oh wait, I forgot X is shoujo too. Nvm.

On hiatus:

Negima because it's so f*cking long. Anime hyper I'm waiting til I find a bunch of the volumes at a low price.

Deadman Wonderland until there is more of it...and there BETTER be. >:/
Jon182

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:22 am Reply with quote
Probably too many to list if you include all the titles I inherited from my brother.

Inu Yasha-my god, what happened? I started reading this when it was first released in the large, unflopped format. It seemed interesting enough, at the beginning, but degenerated into utter dreck. I'm really sorry I collected 19 volumes of this series.

Nana-I liked the music from the movie, and I thought I'd give this series a shot...and my choices were limited at the time. I'm not sure why I feel such inarticulate rage. I think it's probably due to the fact that the manga reads like a bad soap opera.

Naruto Stopped holding my interest, and I don't have enough space to keep collecting the title. Maybe if I added an extension to the house.

Yu Yu Hakusho I thought it was interesting enough at first, but soon got tired of the tournaments and fighting. Strangely enough, I enjoy Hunter x Hunter.

Monster I watched the anime, and the manga seems to be exactly the same. It's a good series, but I need to save shelf space.

One Piece see Naruto.

[/b]
naniwhale

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I found these series I stopped after a few vols.

A Devil and Her Love Song I stopped after vol. 1 main girl wasn't as interesting as I thought she was going to be and 2 the guys in it were sort of dumb too. So it made the first vol. sort of a drag to get though so I looked at vol. 2 and I saw the the same thing so I stopped buying it Sad

wild ones Another one that was hard to get though I read all the way though most of it and brushed though to the last chapter and saw ending. I knew it was going to end like that so it was like a bore to even read to get too. I really wanted to like this one Sad

Kill me Kiss me enough said......... its just not a very good read........ at all sorry Sad
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Putting aside manga I intended to continue but have been forced to drop due to availability or ones I decided not to read after the first volume (I consider 1 volume sampling), I've only dropped two manga.
Fairy Tail- I liked the idea of magic that is unique to each person, but the appeal of that only lasted so long. It doesn't really do anything new to shonen manga. Some of the characters were fun to watch, but non were particularly awesome (except Erza (kind of), but one character can't carry a long runner alone). There was no over arching plot; it was all fights, which get boring after awhile. But the tipping point was the fanservice. I was sick of the contrived ways the female characters' would loose most of their clothes. I was sick of the way it kept shoving the fact that I wasn't the target audience in my face.
XxxHolic- I love some of the chapter and volume covers I've seen online, so I decided to read a few volumes. I could only read a handful before I gave up. I haven't read any other Clamp titles, so I had no idea what was going a lot of the time. I didn't care about any of the characters or what happens to them. I tried reading it again a year or two later, but I couldn't get any farther.
rheiders

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Probably a lot...I avoid scans so if my library doesn't have the next volume in a series, it ends up getting put on hold until I can get ahold of the rest of the series. There are only a handful that I've dropped because I didn't like them/got bored with them.

Vampire Knight: I really enjoyed this one back when I was twelve and seriously into Twilight. I grew out of that phase and soon found that I had grown out of this series as well. The guys all look the same, the plot is impossible to follow, and the decision to quit was all but made for me when spoiler[incest] came into the picture. And that's without even mentioning spoiler[Zero literally eating his twin brother], which was the last thing to happen before I finally dropped the series for real.

Wild Ones: Checked out the first volume from the library recently. I felt like I could literally see the mangaka checking things off her shoujo checklist. Barely comprehensible, poorly drawn...I'm surprised I lasted for the few chapters I did. It's a bummer because I wanted to like this one--I liked the premise and the grandfather character, and I really like how the mangaka draws boys' faces. Oh well.

Oresama Teacher: I don't really know why I couldn't get into this one. My friend was practically begging me to read it, so when our school library got a hold of it I decided to give it a shot. I found the main character obnoxious, the love interest even moreso (and in kind of a disturbing way), and the art average at best. In short, meh. Dropped after one volume.

Naruto: Dropped after 44 volumes. Basically, I was thinking about dropping it for a lot of volumes before this point, but I waited until the last Akatsuki member that I liked died before I finally pulled the plug. I just didn't like the three main characters at all, and the pacing had taken a serious downturn in quality.

Bleach: I don't remember when I dropped this one, but it must have been around the end of the Soul Society arc (I read this series really out of order so I've probably read some chapters past that as well.) Kubo forgot that Rukia was the main heroine and since she was my favorite character and the biggest draw of the series for me, I got bored and stopped. Also, Kubo's character designs became progressively worse as the series went on. I can barely tell anybody apart now.

D. Gray-man: I wanted to like this one. Really, I did. Hoshino's artwork is beautiful and I like the plot. I think she's really good with the gothic horror elements and keeping the suspense up, and the series had some great character drama...when there were only a few characters around. Then she kept adding more...and more...and more. None of the new additions were interesting, and my favorite character Lavi was all but forgotten. Not to mention that Hoshino has always been terrible with fight scenes, kind of an important part of a shounen battle series. More characters fighting at once just added to the chaos. Then, volume 20, a flashback volume detailing one of the main character's past, gave me hope because it was a return to everything I loved about the early volumes of this series. But alas, volume 21 was a cluttered mess so I decided to finally let go.

Pandora Hearts: I love the art, I like the story, I enjoy the characters, I want to know more about them, and...I can't ever figure out what the hell is going on. Dropped after seven volumes.[/b]
phia_one

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:25 am Reply with quote
@rheiders
I dropped Vampire Knight for the same reasons. What a waste of time and money.

As for other series I dropped:
Bunny Drop: For obvious reasons and I'd rather have the shelf space for something else.

Gunslinger Girl: Not much to say besides that I lost intrest.

Pandora Hearts: I was waiting for the reveal as to what Pandora's goal was but it never actually said it.

Dawn of the Arcana: Love the concept and art, but what ruined it was when spoiler[Caeser and Nakaba started getting lovey dovey. It just seems like some form of Stockholm Syndrome to me. Especially early on when he pretty much threatened to rape her and almost killed her best friend/servant.]

D. Gray Man: I just couldn't get into it.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:09 am Reply with quote
Takamagahara: Its the only thing in recent memory to acctually put me to sleep, it wasn't funny, and even though there were cool face punches, my avatar clearly shows I have another series for that.

Medaka Box: I finished the 140 chapters where they kept saying it would end; but I bacame less and less interested in it afterwards, I seriously had no Idea what the point for me to continue was

Fairy Tail:My very first impressions of this was that Natsu was a fire luffy and Lucy was blonde nami, but I liked the mage concept so decided to stick with it for awhile. After a while I realized that the arcs seem to become more and more dull and contrived to me to the point of annoyance, the humor was the only thing keeping me on board. I wanted to quit after that terrible fairy island arc or whatever it was but then the guild dissappeared and so I figure I'd use the tournament arc as its last chance to catch me. I couldn't even finish it.

Bleach: I probably should have quit when I realized that long and boring arc was acctually both the arrancar arc and the fake kazakura town arc. I was so sure this was a bump in te road and waited for the arc to end. but then we got the fullbring arc and thats when I realized this series really wasn't worth my time. Even with all the stuff I hear from the war arc, I'm still not giving a f***
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:16 pm Reply with quote
phia_one wrote:
@rheiders
Pandora Hearts: I was waiting for the reveal as to what Pandora's goal was but it never actually said it.

You are too impatient. Wink The purpose of Pandora and why Jack established it was revealed just a month ago in the latest chapter that came out in Japan.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Flowers of Evil: I loved the first volume but as the series went on it went from intresting to "look I'm being shocking" and reaked of trying too hard

Bokurano: Just ended up feeling like darkness for darkness's sake spoiler[I mean when Chizu gets raped than video taped and gang raped ] it just feels like the Mangaka went too far.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 14