• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga series that you dropped?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Not a Jellyfish wrote:
Jedi General wrote:
I recently dropped Judas. The name and the synopsis piqued my interest enough for me to pick up the first volume, so I did. It wasn't what I expected at all. It was so painful to read, that I didn't even get halfway through the first volume. It has some pretty good art (it reminded me a little of the anime SHUFFLE!), but everything else was so unbearable I stopped trying to force my way through it. By far the worst manga I've ever read.

Really? This is on my to buy list after I read the synopsis. It sounded awesome. What was so bad about it? Translation or what?

I don't really read too much into the quality of the translation, so I wouldn't know about that.

What I didn't like was the story, the little that I struggled through. I was expecting a dark story, that much is true, but I wasn't expecting the character of Judas to be such a pervert. He seems to have a rather degrading image of woman, which is something that I could not stand. I shudder remembering some of the things he said. I couldn't get over how he treats Eve either (there is something about Eve that is revealed very early on, and what Judas forces Eve to do in regards to that something is pretty low). Plus, it was very hard to make sense of what was going on as I drew near to the middle of the volume. I kept forcing myself to read on, hoping that something would begin to make sense, but the confusion just didn't let up. I just kept getting more and more confused. So confused that my head started to hurt and I decided to put the book down for good.

So basically Judas just isn't my thing. I just felt so dirty while reading it, which isn't something I particularly like to feel when I'm reading a manga or watching an anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Asako

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Hmm.. I don't really drop series, but I stop them if they become too annoying to me. I start them up later... WAY later.

I stopped FLCL not by choice. I just couldn't get through the manga! I ended up rereading some pages because of all the exaggerated text which made my eyes hurt. Not to mention I would fall asleep about 3 pages into it. I'm probably going to finish reading it though. When I really have nothing better to do. I seriously think it's a worse to read it than play Magna Carta Razz

RG Veda - The art is nice, I just can't get into the storyline. Same goes for X. I was getting very tired of hearing the same prophecy over and over... I was more interested in the tiny stories about the individual character backgrounds than the actual X story. (don't hurt me!! I really thought they were kinda boring)

DearS - I thought it was an interesting concept but the story was very dull. Lots of pretty pictures though. It also kept reminding me a little bit of Chobits but alien-ish. I just don't have the urge to continue reading this series.

There's a few more but I don't think those bothered me enough to put them on a dropped list. Razz
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I decided to drop Jigoku Shojo because it was seeming a bit monotonous, unlike Skyhigh spoiler[where you have a choice in what you are going to do with your soul. Jigoku Shojo is all about revenge, and everybody, good or bad that come into contact with the Jigoku Shojo, go to hell.]
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Imperialkat wrote:

On a related note, I almost dropped Bleach a while ago. The story was sluggish through volume 3 but I already bought volume 4 even though I wasn't feeling the story anymore. I decided to finish out Uryu's story ark then put it away but at the end of Volume 6 they jumped right into the Soul Society arc, and I haven't been able to put it down since.

Same here. When I started reading the manga I liked it, but read it at a slower pace. Then when they got to the Soul Society arc I couldn't put it down. Funny how the better part of the story is when the plot shifts away from the original plot to begin with. Alough I kind of kind of like that though, same with how Yu Yu Hakusho shifted the plot went it went to the Dark Tournament.
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
I don't really read too much into the quality of the translation, so I wouldn't know about that.

What I didn't like was the story, the little that I struggled through. I was expecting a dark story, that much is true, but I wasn't expecting the character of Judas to be such a pervert. He seems to have a rather degrading image of woman, which is something that I could not stand. I shudder remembering some of the things he said. I couldn't get over how he treats Eve either (there is something about Eve that is revealed very early on, and what Judas forces Eve to do in regards to that something is pretty low). Plus, it was very hard to make sense of what was going on as I drew near to the middle of the volume. I kept forcing myself to read on, hoping that something would begin to make sense, but the confusion just didn't let up. I just kept getting more and more confused. So confused that my head started to hurt and I decided to put the book down for good.

So basically Judas just isn't my thing. I just felt so dirty while reading it, which isn't something I particularly like to feel when I'm reading a manga or watching an anime.

Hmm...Maybe I'll just read it in a store and see if it's my thing. I don't usually have a problem with violence or sexuality in manga (I am a fan of Berserk after all), but maybe it's different. Thanks!
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Not a Jellyfish wrote:
Jedi General wrote:

Hmm...Maybe I'll just read it in a store and see if it's my thing. I don't usually have a problem with violence or sexuality in manga (I am a fan of Berserk after all), but maybe it's different. Thanks!

I won't read a manga that is rated M. That's just how I am. T+ is usually fine, but with Judas is there was just too much about it that really turned me off to the series. But, we have different tastes, so you might still like Judas after all. What I didn't like about Judas might not be all that bad in your mind. *shrugs*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jgreen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Usually when I drop a series, it's more from apathy than anything else, but once I've invested a certain amount of time in a series, I'll usually buy it still if I find it on sale somewhere. Case in point, I have 57 consectutive issues (32-page floppies) of Viz's No Need For Tenchi! but then I just kind of....stopped buying it. If I ever bother to figure out what the next volume I need would be, I'd buy from there, but I just haven't bothered to do that. I'd guess that's probably through Vol. 10, since it was "Part 10" of Viz's series-of-miniseries.

Some series I conscientiously dropped because I just didn't like them (both after 1 volume):

Abenobashi Magical Shopping Arcade -- Typically, manga adapted from anime (as opposed to the other way around) are pretty bad (note how many times the FLCL manga is on here, for example), and this is no exception. I haven't seen the anime, but since this was a Gainax thing I figured I'd go for it, and man, was it bad. I like cheesecake as much as the next guy, but a little plot would have been nice. Instead this series just wanted to get by on its high concept, and that didn't work out so well.

Free Collars Kingdom -- You can read a lot more about why I hated this series here, but to summarize: pandering artwork, sloppy storytelling, poor writing, glaring inconsistencies, and wholly uninteresting characters. But hey, at least it *looks* pretty.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Well, I read My HiME volume 2 and Mar volume 12, and I'm dropping both. Neither of them are worth spending any more money on and I'm going to try to recoup some of my losses (both in money and in shelf space). I plan to read the remaining three volumes of Mar in the bookstore, but I simply can't bring myself to read any more of My HiME. I loved the anime (last episode aside) but the manga is just painful to read. Mar is just a disppointment and it totally botched one of the few things it had going for it.
LilacShadow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:13 pm Reply with quote
I've never stopped collecting a manga I bought because I didn't like it, but I stopped collecting Inuyasha after 4 volumes, Case Closed after 3 volumes, and Naruto after only 1 volume because they're all just too long for me I'd been watching the anime adaptions. I'd actually like to read more of Inuyasha since the anime ended so badly, but I don't want to dedicate so much money and shelf room to one 50+ volume series.

I considered dropping Death Note after volume 7 because I too was pissed off when spoiler[L died]. I ended up buying vol. 8 to see if it would get better, and then I heard that spoiler[someone died] in vol. 9, so I bought that to find out who it was. My mom randomly offered to buy vol. 10 for me, so I got that. I still don't like it nearly as much as I did, but I'm going to finish the series since I only have 2 volumes left to buy. I'm curious to see how it ends, even though I already know a little bit about the ending.
Animangachik737

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:07 am Reply with quote
Marmalade Boy-- It started out okay, but then no more Ginta and it became way too dramatic, but there aren't really that many of them anyway. Rolling Eyes
Ethyn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Cain Saga - it's the prequel to Godchild, but the story just doesn't focus on Cain enough. the story are a bit too predictable and the art feels so old. i know it's not really the author's fault since she wrote it more then 10 years ago. still, i'm stopping at vol 1. I never read Godchild, and am a bit discouraged by this since I was planning to read the prequel then Godchild.
dragoness_crysta

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:58 am Reply with quote
I dropped from the very first volume Hana-Kimi.....didn't like it all....Actually I had no recommendations and I was trying to find sth new by myself...of course I didn't make it.... Mad
The story leads to a lot of trouble for the characters, and my interest got to the lowest...
only the drawings were a little nice....
Levitz9

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:10 am Reply with quote
R.O.D--I was a huge fan of the movies. I read the first two manga, and while the story's were enjoyably cheesey, it just fails to have the magic of the movie. It's so sad, because I liked the movie so friggin' much.

And what's with all of the implied lesbainism in R.O.D!? Seriously!
Mishamew

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:32 pm Reply with quote
the only manga that i've kinda stopped getting was vampire game because there were other manga that i really wanted to get and it was more exciting. when i finish collecting those (which i probably would not) then i would get the 4th or 5th volume of VG
Shinigami Grahf

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I've sort of semi-dropped Berserk and GANTZ.

The irregular release schedule makes it really difficult to keep up to date for me. I plan on catching up some time soon, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 14