• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Romeo x Juliet.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
youkai_ronin

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I'd have to say that the part that affected me most wasn't spoiler[the kiss between Juliet and Romeo, but rather the scene with Hermione on the terrace. The kiss i saw comin, but that was....ouch Sad pure and simple. Then it zooms in on the roses on the table that she got for Romeo...and Crying or Very sad just a little, yea]
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 1:56 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
One of the few songs (lines) that gets stuck in my head and I don't mind Arrow "Wish you out, out the west trail"...

I too get that one line stuck in my head also, and I normally get it out with an equally annoying song...."he was skater-boy", how come you can't get a good song stuck in your head?

youkai_ronin wrote:
spoiler[the kiss between Juliet and Romeo, but rather the scene with Hermione on the terrace. The kiss i saw comin, but that was....ouch Sad pure and simple. Then it zooms in on the roses on the table that she got for Romeo...and Crying or Very sad sad just a little, yea]

I too always feel bad for spoiler[ male or female character who cares for this person but it's just not their fate to be together. I am sure somewhere down the line she fine a nice person.]
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:11 am Reply with quote
I finally got around to catching up. I marathoned episodes 2-7 yesterday.

Wow!!! This series is fantastic. I never particularly liked the original story of Romeo and Juliet, but Gonzo's take has been quite fresh and a wonderful watch so far. I'm so glad that Gonzo is reimagining the story, because the original story has been done and redone too many times, and like I said, I never particularly liked it. Episode 7 had me begging for more, so I'll be following this series on a weekly basis now. It's easily my second favorite series of this season (behind Claymore, of course), and like Claymore has the potential to become one of my absolute favorites.

Man, oh man episode seven! That scene spoiler[where Romeo and Juliet finally kiss] was just beautiful, with the English version of the awesomeness that is the OP playing in the background. The only thing that ruined that scene was how it rolled into that terrible ED. I say it's terrible because just doesn't fit with the series at all, so I still wonder why they decided to use it in the first place. Poor, poor Hermione though, I can't help but feel for her. I kinda wish she'd get a bit more screen time (not to take away anything from the main characters, of course) as I kinda like her. Or maybe I just like her seiyuu? Nevertheless, I'd still like to see a bit more of her. Tybalt as well. He's just so cool.

The animation has been just great. The character designs, the colors, the costumes, the backgrounds, the flying sequences (namely the Pegasus themselves), the bit of swordplay. Just great to look at, I must say.

As for the changes to the original story, I don't mind them at all. Like I already said, it's quite a fresh take on a story that I've never particularly liked in the first place. I think my favorite change is how spoiler[Juliet dresses as a boy to avoid the Montagues,] and it was quite funny how Antonio had no clue. I got a bit of a laugh out of that. I also like how spoiler[Juliet is the only surviving Capulet]. Really adds some nice potential drama between R and J in future episodes.

Well, that's pretty much all I have to say for right now. I eagerly await episode 8.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Mm, episode 8 was better.

spoiler[I really hope Romeo completely misunderstands that scene at the very end of the episode. Could lead to more drama, excitement, betrayal, etc.]
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8: It was a good episode, but it didn't really have the impact of episode 7 in my mind (I'm a sucker for spoiler[the kiss at the end of episode 7]). On the other hand, It does appear to be laying some nice foundations for dramatic future episodes though. This series just keeps getting better and better.

spoiler[Tybalt's just keeps getting cooler and cooler, I have to say. Can't wait to see more of him, now that he's been officially introduced. Poor Hermoine though, will she ever get that ride on a Pegasus she very much desires? It also seems that it will take Juliet some time to fully accept her role against the Montagues. She's not ready for it yet, given what happened with the friar. At least Tybalt ended up giving the friar what he deserved (why is it always folks in the church who end up being the evil ones?). Anyway, then Romeo saw Juliet and Tybalt together. What will become of that, I wonder, given the reason why Juliet ran away from Romeo?]

(Spoiler-tagged the entire paragraph just to be on the safe side.)

frentymon wrote:
spoiler[I really hope Romeo completely misunderstands that scene at the very end of the episode. Could lead to more drama, excitement, betrayal, etc.]

Yes, spoiler[I hope so too, and I think he just might. Like you said it would definitely lead to more drama and like I already said, this episode seemed to be laying a good foundation for future drama.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:21 am Reply with quote
Beyond the first couple of minutes, I was actually disappointed with episode 8. Nearly every scene was handled in an utterly predictable and stereotypical way, except for spoiler[the Duke giving the sudden order to kill Romeo's Pegasus - although Hermione stepping up to save the day was thoroughly expected.] Granted, this is not the first episode where that has been an issue, but up until this point I have been wrapped up enough in the magic of how the romance unfolds to ignore it.

I did like how they handled the part with Benvolio, though.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:50 pm Reply with quote
This anime I so predictable but well at least Tybalt is nice bishonen I will be watching for him Very Happy and I pretty impressed that spoiler[Romeo told Hermione that he doesn't love her, I thought that he will be prevaricate between her and Juliet.]
Martin_g

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:50 pm Reply with quote
This is kind of obvious, but for anyone who is rooting for an alternate ending I would point out a few things.

1. Wiliam shakespeare is a character in the show and he will likely be inspired to write the play 'romeo and juliet' based off of what he thinks happens between the two love birds.

2. due to Willy's rather flippant and unreliable character, there is no reason to think that his version of 'romeo and juliet' would be a very accurate account of their tale.

Personally, I'll be disappointed if a shakespearian slaughter of main characters takes place at the end. So far, none of the protagonists have exhibited any hubris worthy of the death penalty. In the play, Romeo and Juliet are so head over heals for eachother that they abandon all societal responsibility. Their death, while tragic, is fitting. It doesn't seem like the anime versions of romeo and juliet are willing to ignore the needs of others so selfishly. If they do end up dying I at least hope that their characters will maintain their noble qualities.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
spoiler[the Duke giving the sudden order to kill Romeo's Pegasus - although Hermione stepping up to save the day was thoroughly expected.]

I have to agree with ya Key that probably spoiler[was the one of the scene that shocked me seeing as how Hermione honestly knew that Romeo didn't love her. It only makes me feel more sorry for her. Other then that I am some what down after this episode with the cliche I can't kill someone scene. It really felt forced and didn't seem like it belonged, Although I do like how Benvolio is being set up. It's making it so that the Capulets could potentially be as awful/evil as the Montague.]
Jedi General

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:18 pm Reply with quote
I just watched episode 9. An OK episode I think. It was nothing compared to the last two, but still quite a bit happened, I must say.

Some thoughts on the episode:

NOTE: I'm just typing my thoughts as they come and I'm also quite tired, so forgive me if I don't make any sense.

spoiler[I liked that scene with Willy and Juliet, Willy's character being there makes a whole lot more sense now. I can't wait for him to meet Romeo man that should be good.

More Hermoine? While I did want to see more of her, I thought that her purpose had been served. Perhaps not. Maybe she will tell the Duke about how Romeo is in love with someone else? I can see that happening and the drama that would come as a result.

I'm liking Ophelia and the symbolism of the tree so far. Not the most original of metaphors, but it works. Ophelia and Escalus were quite important to the original story too, so I expect for the them to be quite important later on.

Damn that bastard Camio! I wasn't surprised that Camio sold out the Capulets, but still. Conrad seemed to trust him. The scene in the pub made it pretty obvious to me that Camio was going to sell out the Capulets though. Also, the story seemed to be moving to fast so I figured that something would go wrong sooner or later. Guess I was right.

Juliet, poor girl. I'm pretty sure I said this before, but she just isn't ready to take on the Montagues. She still needs time. She couldn't kill the friar and she just couldn't handle how she wounded the soldier. Sure she's still a teen aged girl, but eventually she will have to accept her destiny.

There wasn't a lot of Romeo in that episode. But he does seem to have taken seeing Tybalt and Juliet the wrong way. Bring on the angst, if one can call it that.]
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
spoiler[More Hermoine? While I did want to see more of her, I thought that her purpose had been served. Perhaps not. Maybe she will tell the Duke about how Romeo is in love with someone else? I can see that happening and the drama that would come as a result.

Damn that bastard Camio! I wasn't surprised that Camio sold out the Capulets, but still. Conrad seemed to trust him. The scene in the pub made it pretty obvious to me that Camio was going to sell out the Capulets though. Also, the story seemed to be moving to fast so I figured that something would go wrong sooner or later. Guess I was right.

Juliet, poor girl. I'm pretty sure I said this before, but she just isn't ready to take on the Montagues. She still needs time. She couldn't kill the friar and she just couldn't handle how she wounded the soldier. Sure she's still a teen aged girl, but eventually she will have to accept her destiny.]

A few thoughts on episode 9 and some of things you mentioned. spoiler[I think Hermoine is very interesting character I am really interested in how she progresses in the coming episodes. I think that she's going to see Romeo and Juliet together and she's going to snap.

Maybe I'm retarded but I totally didn't see Camio betrayal coming, well at least it led to a very good fight. And with that a depleted Capulet army, as if they weren't small enough already.

I think that everyone is really asking way too much of Juliet, she's just a young teenager who's not ready/maybe she's never going to be ready for her destiny. Although it should be interesting to see how Tybalt tries to calm down Juliet, and hopefully mold her into some sort of warriors. ]
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:20 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
A few thoughts on episode 9 and some of things you mentioned. spoiler[I think Hermoine is very interesting character I am really interested in how she progresses in the coming episodes. I think that she's going to see Romeo and Juliet together and she's going to snap.

Maybe I'm retarded but I totally didn't see Camio betrayal coming, well at least it led to a very good fight. And with that a depleted Capulet army, as if they weren't small enough already.

I think that everyone is really asking way too much of Juliet, she's just a young teenager who's not ready/maybe she's never going to be ready for her destiny. Although it should be interesting to see how Tybalt tries to calm down Juliet, and hopefully mold her into some sort of warriors. ]

spoiler[That would interesting, were Hermoine to snap. I'd like to see that, as I think that'd be entertaining and it could also go hand in hand with what I said about her perhaps tipping off the Duke.

Yes, that was a good fight. Things are starting to go in motion, with the whittling down of the Capulets. Starting to set the stage for some drama later, I'm assuming. But yeah, to me it was obvious that Camio was going to betray them. The scene in pub was obviously foreshadowing something and then when the Capulets were attacked, my first thought was Camio.

Juliet is getting so much thrown at her right now. It will take some time for her to be ready, if she ever becomes truly ready at all. I like that point you made about Tybalt though. I love Tybalt, he's just so cool. I'd like to see something like that happen.]
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:24 am Reply with quote
Oh so I marathon-ed the first 8 episodes and was considerably -- scratch that, make it wonderfully -- impressed. And I just watched episode 9, and well...

A bunch of random? thoughts:

I really really don't want a Shakespearean slaughter for this one. Whatever anyone says (faithfulness, cowardice), I don't want those two dead!!! This is not Saikano!!! Sad

Juliet this version is way cool. You don't get many leading ladies in anime who, because she's spoiler[totally in love with the son of the Evil Enemy] (is that even spoiler?), she'll try to spoiler[rush headlong into killing them all before her feelings get to her. Scary. And kinda hawt in a crazy way.]

Episode 9 was sort of okay. Lots of plot, but didn't make much of an impression on me as the better episodes.

It so is building up for a spoiler[Romeo vs. Tybalt confrontation] of the original, with the added spice of the latter being considerably less annoying than the original play's (though I'm not a fan of "serious bishounen" types). There's even the classic Romantic Misunderstanding (tm) for the extra mileage of drama !!!

Reading the thread, I must admit I'm one of the minority to find the OP totally disturbing. It's like "Celine Dion, Celine Dion, TITANIC!!! ROSE, HE'S DEAD!!!" flashbacks on me. The EP, which I think tries to imitate the much better implementation in Gankutsuou, is also not-there. Everything in between, however, is to my liking.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Jeez, I had to back about 3 pages to find this thing.

Anyways, I just watched ep 11 and I'd have to say that it's the best thus far. I felt the writing had taken a bit of a drop as of late because the love side of the story was being pushed to the back while the whole spoiler[rebellion against Montague] side was focused on, and so I just wasn't feeling anything between Romeo and Juliet; this was evident towards the end of ep 10 when spoiler[they see each other for the first time in a while. I thought that scene lacked anything particularly special or moving]. But the very end of ep 10 and this episode really brought their love back into the center stage (pun intended). I'm increasingly amused, in a good way mind you, at how Gonzo is using elements and scenes from the original play in their version. spoiler[The end of ep 10 was, obviously, the famous balcony scene, with some slight altering; the whole of ep 11 was the night that Romeo and Juliet spent together; and of course there's their secret wedding. Now, I'm hopeful that their vows are being used as some sort of foreshadowing towards the tragic ending and that Gonzo's chosen not to go the "happy ending" route.]

600th post!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6