• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Poll: How Should Funimation Release One Piece?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Espeon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Either ways i'll collect it, It would be nice if they did start from the start but that'll just take longer to get to the unseen episodes.. and it's not like everyone has seen all 144,, well cuase you havern't becuase 4Kids removes about 50 of them from the show complete'ly some of the arc's were really good.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm undecided on whether or not I'll buy any of the DVDs (I'm quite sure I won't be buying ALL of them), but I think starting from the beginning would be the best way to go.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Personally I went with alternate, this is assuming that Funimation can release complete uncut dvds, if not then just continue from the last volume released.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:17 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Well, when it shows up on Cartoon Network, I may give it a shot...if it starts from the beginning. But, as much as I enjoyed Inu Yasha and I'm enjoying
Bleach
, I'm actually not into super long fighting anime.
Understandable position, I'm not really a major fight series fan either. I actually prefer slice-of-life and highschool series most. Still, One Piece is suprisingly good, inspite of having one of the weirdest art styles I've ever seen. I was pretty hostile toward it at first due to that style, but after my sister practically begged me to watch it, I started to get into the series.

It's absurdist at points, but it has some of the most emotionally charged plots and fights I've seen and Luffy is a very atypical lead. He's like a little kid most of the time. Then he gets serious and makes you start to respect him.

You've got to make it to the Arlong Park arc to really see the series' dramatic power, I think, but it's good even in the early episodes.

Plus, Funimation's going with boxsets from the beginning, something I wish Viz would do with all of it's 100+ episode series. (Or could they at least hurry up the Inuyasha boxsets? I want season 4.)
jaybug39

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Due to all the bad-mouthing One Piece has gotten over it's edits and other problems, I have stayed away from watching the series. I can't understand how such a popular program in its native country could bomb so poorly here, when our two nations seem to enjoy the same shows fairly often. So I voted for start from the beginning.

Perhaps as LydiaDianne said, a"promotional champaign" would be appropriate. I would think about it for free booze too! Laughing

Will the debut of the Funi DVDs coincide with National Talk Like Pirate Day? ARRRR! Cool
zeno99

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:
Well, when it shows up on Cartoon Network, I may give it a shot...if it starts from the beginning. But, as much as I enjoyed Inu Yasha and I'm enjoying
Bleach
, I'm actually not into super long fighting anime.
Understandable position, I'm not really a major fight series fan either. I actually prefer slice-of-life and highschool series most. Still, One Piece is suprisingly good, inspite of having one of the weirdest art styles I've ever seen. I was pretty hostile toward it at first due to that style, but after my sister practically begged me to watch it, I started to get into the series.

It's absurdist at points, but it has some of the most emotionally charged plots and fights I've seen and Luffy is a very atypical lead. He's like a little kid most of the time. Then he gets serious and makes you start to respect him.

You've got to make it to the Arlong Park arc to really see the series' dramatic power, I think, but it's good even in the early episodes.

Plus, Funimation's going with boxsets from the beginning, something I wish Viz would do with all of it's 100+ episode series. (Or could they at least hurry up the Inuyasha boxsets? I want season 4.)

If they're going to release One Piece by season, uncut, and from the beginning, then I'm on board Very Happy Very Happy
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:19 pm Reply with quote
From the beggining, definantly, and as many sets per year as possible (it's a lot of stuff to catch up on, even at episode 144). I never did watch the 4kids version of the show, so I'd like to properly start it. FUNimation have a notoriously bad record of doing staggered releases (Dragonball, DBZ and Case Closed) and I wouldn't want them to do it here. It leaves too many holes open to be dicked around in.

If we could get like, bimonthly sets to begin with, and eventually simmer in to quaterly or maybe 3 a year, I would be cool with that. We've lost a lot of time thanks to 4Kids.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
From the beggining, definantly, and as many sets per year as possible (it's a lot of stuff to catch up on, even at episode 144). I never did watch the 4kids version of the show, so I'd like to properly start it. FUNimation have a notoriously bad record of doing staggered releases (Dragonball, DBZ and Case Closed) and I wouldn't want them to do it here. It leaves too many holes open to be dicked around in.

If we could get like, bimonthly sets to begin with, and eventually simmer in to quaterly or maybe 3 a year, I would be cool with that. We've lost a lot of time thanks to 4Kids.

Now would be a good time for our friendly neighborhood Funi Reps to pop out and hopefully be able to answer some of these questions!
Jetto

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I can understand editing for content, but when you change the music...THAT JUST PISSES ME OFF. Evil or Very Mad

I'm so glad FUNi included a dub with original music on the NEW dbz dvds.
Now, if they would just fix that widescreen shit...

Oh, and "from the beginning" FTW...I don't care about any dumbass that puchased those butchered OP 4kids dvds... (j/k...well, ok, not really o_o )
Anath_19

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I say start from the beginning... I've only seen the first ten episodes, and though I do want to see more, I have no interest in the 4kids dub, and I'm not willing to pay to start from episode 144 if I've missed the 134 episodes that came before it (I'm rather a stickler for watching my shows in order).
Kibamaru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:48 am Reply with quote
Anath_19 wrote:
I say start from the beginning... I've only seen the first ten episodes, and though I do want to see more, I have no interest in the 4kids dub, and I'm not willing to pay to start from episode 144 if I've missed the 134 episodes that came before it (I'm rather a stickler for watching my shows in order).

ROFL you won't even miss 134, cos 4Kids NEVER had 143 episodes dubbed anyways, since they left out lots of arcs.

IMO, they should start dubbing from the very beginning. 4Kids' dub should then change it's title to the 'Lost' Series. Also, if they simply continue, there'll be too much plotholes once they arrive in the CP9 Saga.

And to some guy who posted in the first page, Kaizoku-Fansubs isn't the only group subbing One Piece. There are more up-to-date ones.
ahvat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:43 am Reply with quote
wel one piece should start over again at the beginning and since funimation now owns it the voice will sound better. they should promote that also. Give it an old touch of the opening not ga go ga go set sail for one piece. I watch the Japanese version and I am currently where the japanese are, so it doesn't matter but I will watch it if the voice is better than the 4kids version, and they shouldn't change the cuts and blood, because that wouldn't be as good as the original, sanji... what happen to his cigarette most of the time in the anime he puffs it and when his opponent is defeated he throws his cigarette away next to the defeated opponent, well not all the time. And in one piece when they fight they do get beat up pretty bad.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:31 am Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
And it's not like FUNimation is going to be appealing to anyone different - OP is still going to be on Toonami, not [adult swim], so the audience should still be the same even if FCC censorship regulations do not apply.

Despite the supposed "kidification" of Toonami, I seem to recall a certain ninja sensei on Naruto constantly smoking (actually, I don't think that cig's lit!), as well as plenty of blood, even dripping blood. So there's still hope. But if you're right about Toei being in charge (why that would be is beyond me), and they don't get what's going on over here with the fan outrage, then I agree that One Piece is still screwed.

I might have become a OP fan if the dub hadn't been so unwatchable. As it is, I choose the hilarious last option in order to express my disinterest. But I might become interested if I can one day watch the show uncut.
Kouji

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:45 am Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:
Despite the supposed "kidification" of Toonami, I seem to recall a certain ninja sensei on Naruto constantly smoking (actually, I don't think that cig's lit!), as well as plenty of blood, even dripping blood. So there's still hope. But if you're right about Toei being in charge (why that would be is beyond me), and they don't get what's going on over here with the fan outrage, then I agree that One Piece is still screwed.

I might have become a OP fan if the dub hadn't been so unwatchable. As it is, I choose the hilarious last option in order to express my disinterest. But I might become interested if I can one day watch the show uncut.
Um, did you actually read the thread? Funi is releasing One Piece uncut on DVD. One Piece is not "still screwed." If you don't like the edited dub on TV, then buy the uncut DVDs when Funi releases it and just ignore the TV version. There's no "if" about it. They are releasing it uncut. That's what this whole freaking thread is about.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Iritscen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:20 am Reply with quote
I get that. But I'm not buying DVDs without seeing enough on TV to become a fan, Thus, I was talking about the FUNi dub that will presumably show up on CN at some point. Uncut or not on DVD doesn't concern me right now, it's the editing level of the Toonami run that concerns me. That's what Malintex was addressing and what I was responding to.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4