• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Library War.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Library War

Official Home Page

Another title I look forward to in a few weeks, Toshokan Sensou (Library War), is an anime series based off a novel by Hiro Arikawa and is animated by my favorite Production I.G. Smile

The story, which takes place in 2019, is about "Library Armies" that were formed to protect libraries and books and defend freedom of expression. (Sounds like Fahrenheit 451 in the form of a romantic comedy.) The character designs can be found on the main site linked above.

There are some similarities between Library War and Revolutionary Girl Utena, as the main character Iku wants to be like her "prince charming." And there are similarities to Love*Com as well in that Iku is taller than the lead male character, Atsushi. I just hope they don't overplay the high complexes. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Though it's not as beautiful as the novel art (which can still be seen on the front page of the site), I really love the character designs. I'm sure they'll look fantastic in motion.

Also, this series will be airing on Noitamina, which is also known for Nodame Cantabile and Mononoke.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Another I.G series that I will be sure to watch! This sounds really interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
(Sounds like Fahrenheit 451 in the form of a romantic comedy.)

This simile makes my brain haemorrhage.

I think I really must see this anime. What's next? Fun and Games in Room 101 -- George Orwell's 1984 recast as light comedy?

- abunai
Mylene

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:59 pm Reply with quote
This has definitely piqued my interest, not just as a future librarian (less than a year until I'll have my MLS), but also because I'm currently in a seminar about intellectual freedom and just really enjoy anything related to protection of said freedoms. Assuming that it is done well, this could prove to be a very worthwhile anime.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, might give it a shot. Mostly depends on whether or not I can fit it in somehow. I haven't really read all that much into the actual premise of the series, but I will say that it did kind of sound like a dumb one to me at first, so I wasn't sure. But with your description read at least AG, it sounds maybe a little bit better than what it sounded like at first, or at least good enough to make me consider it more anyways. A good Fahrenheit 451-styled story I have to say sounds very promising, but I guess we'll see. But since it's I.G. and since it's one of the most looked forward to series of the new season, I guess there's nothing to loose by at least giving it a shot anyways.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Ah yes. I'm looking forward to this I.G title as well. The name alone was enough to get me interested and I already knew that the wonderful Production I.G was animating. Given AG's post, I'm much more interested in this series now that I have a better idea as to its premise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:19 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Aromatic Grass wrote:
(Sounds like Fahrenheit 451 in the form of a romantic comedy.)

This simile makes my brain haemorrhage.

Whoops! Shocked Hope I didn't cause too much damage. That happened to be the first thing that popped into my mind while I was making this thread. Anime smile + sweatdrop

BrothersElric wrote:
Hmmm, might give it a shot. Mostly depends on whether or not I can fit it in somehow.

I know, really. Spring is full of new shows that I want to check out but definitely don't have the time for all of them. But Library War happens to be near the top of my list, and it's fairly short at 12 episodes.

BrothersElric wrote:
But with your description read at least AG, it sounds maybe a little bit better than what it sounded like at first, or at least good enough to make me consider it more anyways.

Parts of what I've heard remind me of Fullmetal Alchemist if that helps. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm really looking forward to this but you already know that Pastachan. Anyway pics from the first episode http://dol.dengeki.com/data/news/2008/3/21/98d10483fbdef4aa64a7a7a0ee13c7fe.html

I'm looking forward to what looks like being a cross between ROD, FMP and Utena. Also with the Library War light novels being finished after just 4 volumes the romantic side should be tied up here if they animate all 4 light novels.

4 Light Novels into 12 episodes is quite a tight fit... but it could be worse, it could do.... 7 light novels in 13 episodes like the Good Witch of the West did IIRC.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
I know, really. Spring is full of new shows that I want to check out but definitely don't have the time for all of them. But Library War happens to be near the top of my list, and it's fairly short at 12 episodes.

Oooh, 12 episodes! I guess that means I have even less to loose from it then! But we'll still have to see. I know I'll have 4 new openings once the season begins (that of course depends on how fast the Ghost Hound torrents come out.....) but 2 of them are already taken up by Soul Eater and Real Drive, and I'm really not all that sure if I'm going to have as much time left on my hands in the coming months as I do now.

AG wrote:
Parts of what I've heard remind me of Fullmetal Alchemist if that helps. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Yeah, I remember you saying something about how one of the characters reminded you of Ed. Anime smile + sweatdrop But if there's more FMA comparisons then all the more power to it. Cool
Skys

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:06 am Reply with quote
I've been interested in watching this sense I learned about it a few weeks back. Shows around books and such always seem to be interesting. (I really enjoyed Read or Die when I first saw it.) Anyway I'm looking forward to this.

Also Abunai, you better be careful about what you suggest. Some group of people may read your post and be crazy enough to take it seriously and make something like Fun and Games in Room 101, and there are people, like me, who would be crazy enough to watch it.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:13 am Reply with quote
Sounds kind of corny but then again that's what thought about the premise of Read or Die and I ended up loving that. Smile
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:19 am Reply with quote
I had no idea Production I.G. worked on so many shows at the same time.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:38 am Reply with quote
Skys wrote:
Also Abunai, you better be careful about what you suggest. Some group of people may read your post and be crazy enough to take it seriously and make something like Fun and Games in Room 101, and there are people, like me, who would be crazy enough to watch it.

I won't mention my off-the-wall idea for Survivor: Cannibal Island (where they don't get voted off the island but into the pot), then.

Oops.

- abunai
...or a Fear Factor / Temptation Island crossover. Hey, that might actually be fun...
Westlo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:10 am Reply with quote
Veoryn87 wrote:

I.G have two big studios who are constant competition with each other, I think the "main" studio are working on Real Drive next after having done Ghost Hound and Seirei no Moribito.

Also in addition to I.G working on Real Drive, Library War and XXXholic 2 they are also prepping for the release of their movie Sky Crawlers.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:25 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Veoryn87 wrote:

I.G have two big studios who are constant competition with each other, I think the "main" studio are working on Real Drive next after having done Ghost Hound and Seirei no Moribito.

Oh wow. I didn't know Production I.G. had two studios.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7