• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2007 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OGT

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Is it strictly necessary to have these kinds of articles? I mean, people are impressionable sorts, they might miss out on a show they'd really like just because you guys panned it and said it's stupid garbage unfit for human consumption or whatever. Wouldn't it be better to let people watch the shows themselves and decide for themselves if they like them? Maybe I'm just sick of reviews in general.

That said:

Lucky Star: Oh boy, if there's one show that can divide fandom, it's this one. Haruhi fans hate it because it's by Kyoto Animation and it's not even close to a Haruhi clone, so therefore it's unfunny moe crap fit for mongrels. Then there's the people who just don't find it funny, which is fine, because senses of humor vary wildly across the board. Also, didn't you guys dismiss Kanon as an unfunny Haruhi ripoff in its anime preview article?

Romeo x Juliet: Controversial opinion: This actually needs rampant fanservice to stay true to the spirit of Shakespeare. Discuss.

Darker than BLACK: This series seems primarily composed of 2-parters, so a review based on the first episode is kind of dumb. The second episode has the hook.

Touka Gettan: They are airing this BACKWARDS. Why, I can't fathom.

Bokurano: It is not monster-of-the-week. It's not even very much like Narutaru, from what I heard about that. If the ex-Ghibi director and Gonzo don't mess up some of the later stories of the manga, and don't make the ending too horribly bad (the manga's not done yet, so after a certain point it's going to diverge), we might have a real classic on our hands. I find it a excellent celebration of life, in a very roundabout way. Also, it seems like you only watched one episode, which means you missed the plot twist.

Hayate the Combat Butler: Santa getting decked is awesome. That is all.

Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann: This is not space opera. Legend of Galactic Heroes is space opera. Yes, I know. There are ships shooting each other at the start of the first episode. I think that's just in there so Gainax could animate ships shooting each other, which I admit is pretty cool. You will like this if you like burning passion, becasuse Kamina has it in spades. I don't think there's been a more over-the-top character in a robot show since Gai Shishou from Gao Gai Gar, and he was voiced by Nobiyuki Hiyama, the reigning champion of burning passion shouting. UPDATE: I have been informed that Nobiyuki Hiyama is in Gurren-Lagann. World ending, further updates as events warrant.

Last edited by OGT on Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Awww, man. See, I really like Lucky Star! That and Bokurano are really the only two shows that have jumped out at me so far, though after reading LittleHobbit's post, I'm probably going to have to check out Romeo x Juliet. I'd stayed away thus far because Shining Tears x Wind was/is awful, and I figure the common use of the "x" would lump them together.

Okay, Lucky Star: Funny because those are like the conversations I have with all of my cooks at work (just change the content), the opening sequence totally rips off Haruhi yet is the perfect cure for a crappy day and the ending of the girls in karaoke room? Gitouttadodge. Good times all around.

Bokurano: Reminds me a bit of Sokyuu no Fafner, which rocked. Tragic anime always gets me going.

And just out of curiosity, does anyone else here think they mis-romanized the title for "sola?" I mean, the anime's obviously about sky, right? Just askin'...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:52 pm Reply with quote
OGT wrote:
Is it strictly necessary to have these kinds of articles? I mean, people are impressionable sorts, they might miss out on a show they'd really like just because you guys panned it and said it's stupid garbage unfit for human consumption or whatever. Wouldn't it be better to let people watch the shows themselves and decide for themselves if they like them? Maybe I'm just sick of reviews in general.

Now now, let the "haves" have their fun - if they couldn't influence the masses who flock en masse to polished opinions, that ruins half the fun of getting paid to monitor a user-run website.

I agree, but still, it's best to just ignore reviews like this rather than give them attention - "I disagree with that because..." isn't grounded in anything worth discussing, it's just a volley of opinion back and forth.

OGT wrote:

Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann: This is not space opera. Legend of Galactic Heroes is space opera. Yes, I know. There are ships shooting each other at the start of the first episode. I think that's just in there so Gainax could animate ships shooting each other, which I admit is pretty cool. You will like this if you like burning passion, becasuse Kamina has it in spades. I don't think there's been a more over-the-top character in a robot show since Gai Shishou from Gao Gai Gar, and he was voiced by Nobiyuki Hiyama, the reigning champion of burning passion shouting. UPDATE: I have been informed that Nobiyuki Hiyama is in Gurren-Lagann. World ending, further updates as events warrant.

"space opera" is a misnomer, since it doesn't necessarily mean a story takes place in space, it just refers to anything exotic/fantastical with science fiction elements. However, people are susceptible to misleading terms like that, so it shouldn't be used. Neutral
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:55 pm Reply with quote
OGT wrote:
Maybe I'm just sick of reviews in general.

Then stop reading them.

Malintex Terek wrote:

Now now, let the "haves" have their fun - if they couldn't influence the masses who flock en masse to polished opinions, that ruins half the fun of getting paid to monitor a user-run website.

This website is not user-run. We have a full-time staff.

But go ahead, keep talking ad nauseum about topics you know nothing at all about and then get indignant when people argue with you. That is your specialty, after all.
Espeon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:02 am Reply with quote
Lucky Star is awesome funny.
Mephistophilus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:17 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
OGT wrote:
Maybe I'm just sick of reviews in general.

Then stop reading them.

Agreed. If you disagree with something, there's not always a need to say "HEY GUYS, I DISAGREE!" without any real criticism or analysis of the person's opinion in the first place. You can just ignore that person's reviews in the future, or you can criticize an obvious generalization that isn't constructive at all.

If they were applied to entire series, some of the comments would, of course, be slightly off-key. However, there's a reason why there's a multi-sentence bolded warning at the top saying that these opinions are not meant to be taken as series reviews and that they are only opinions of first episodes. It's obvious that opinions based on the first episode of a paired introduction are going to be slightly off, but that's why we have brains to decide whether it's worth sitting through a few episodes to decide.

Also, certain series, one of those involving a star that should probably go gambling more often as its title, are obviously not for everyone, and thus a very generalized overview of those shows is not going to be especially favorable. We have to remember that most people aren't going to find niche shows funny, as they would not be niche shows if they were considered universal. Here's where our brain comes in again, as we can look at a show ourselves and figure out whether or not that particular niche works for us.

Again, look at the bolded warning at the top before you go off and spout your anger.
Vuwazy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:50 am Reply with quote
I haven't had a glimpse at any of the titles that came out this season yet and I'm thinking of which I should take the first crack at. Will be looking forward to seeing how some of these series are like.
Jetto

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:56 am Reply with quote
Gurren Lagann is my favorite new show. The comment about style was spot on. But then again, I'm a Gainax fanboy. >_> I just love the way they do things. They take generic premises and turn them into something unique. Think about it, Simon is a "shinji-type" through and through. xD

Darker than Black seems promising. Yoko Kanno is definitely bringing some Cowboy Bebop flair to the soundtrack. There's a chase scene in the 2nd ep that put me in the mind of CB. Checked the credits, and lo and behold, her name was there!

Claymore seems fun. I'm not a big fan of the character design, but it looks promising as well.
Mirrinus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:13 am Reply with quote
I too felt that some of those reviews focused way too much on the genre, and not enough on the show itself. Personally, I'm not too fond of some of those genres anyway, and wasn't even going to check out those shows, so it didn't bother me that much, but I can definitely see where the criticism is coming from.

I think in the future, it would be more effective if you do not name any other show when writing the review. I personally have no interest at all in Nagasarete Airantou, but I felt as though the reviewer went off on an unneeded tangent about Shuffle (which I haven't seen either) and neglected the actual point of the review: to talk about the merits (or lack thereof) of the show in question. If you simply avoid referring to other shows in the review, I'm thinking a good deal of the criticism might die down, as the review may sound more focused and relevant.

Personally, I'm not too crazy about this current season at all. None of the shows strike me as particularly good, although Hayate and Lucky☆Star are pretty amusing (I like the random otaku references in both). Unfortunately, I have a very low tolerance for the mecha genre, and way too many shows fall into that category, so I personally am not too thrilled, although I'm sure some mecha fans out there are very happy. At least the fall season looks really good, with a plethora of shows I'm excited about.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:17 am Reply with quote
Not too many interest me this time. Only three titles:

Saint Beast A) I like bishonen - sue me. B) I like Midorikawa Hikaru and Ishida Akira.

Koutetsu Sangokushi A) see above B) I like Koyasu Takehito.

Seirei no Moribito - the story line seems intriguing. I'll have to see how some of the others on here like it.

But just because I think that they are interesting at this point in time, doesn't necessarily mean that I will buy them if/when they arrive in the US.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:22 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

This website is not user-run. We have a full-time staff.

And said staff does what? Report? An overwhelming amount of your news isn't even exclusive, it's delayed hearsay from more impulsive sources - while this filters out more "truthful" material, ANN is hardly beyond making mistakes, as was the case with that ADV incident a week or two back.

We commoners who populate the forum township are a source of news and an inexhaustible supply of manpower and information, for good or ill, to the encyclopedia. ANN is nothing without the forum, where even the most insignificant newbie has more value as part of the collective than any of the staff, which isn't really a "staff" so much as it is a "troupe of clowns", given the circus act you lot put out is purely for entertainment.

ANN's encyclopedia is important, as is its reporting, but the idea that people are paid to do that, as well as to spread manure across virgin land, just makes me shake my head - there's a large number of people around here who have nothing better to do who would do that for free.

Staff should only serve to steer those bulls in the right direction and clean up after they thrash around, like what the mods do.

Zac wrote:

But go ahead, keep talking ad nauseum about topics you know nothing at all about and then get indignant when people argue with you.

Rolling Eyes

So says Bill O'Reilly to Stephen Colbert.

Mephistophilus wrote:

Agreed. If you disagree with something, there's not always a need to say "HEY GUYS, I DISAGREE!" without any real criticism or analysis of the person's opinion in the first place. You can just ignore that person's reviews in the future, or you can criticize an obvious generalization that isn't constructive at all.

Discussion is important, especially in bringing conflicting viewpoints to the table, but the problem is the arguments in this topic are automatically weaker than the "spring review" OGT is attacking - fewer people are going to be exposed to his view-points than to Santos and Sons. One can't drag down an argument that's mounted on a pestle.

This is where blogging comes in.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:30 am Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
ANN's encyclopedia is important, as is its reporting, but the idea that people are paid to do that, as well as to spread manure across virgin land, just makes me shake my head - there's a large number of people around here who have nothing better to do who would do that for free.

Please keep in mind that all encyclopedists (except Dan, who is not only an encyclopedist but also the chief technician/webmaster) and mods are volunteers. We are exactly those "who have nothing better to do who would do that for free."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
kanami

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:01 am Reply with quote
I would like to think that Lucky Star is not really about comedy, but more of a slice of life series. If you look it that way, it can be a amusing anime. yeah, It's not very good, and is by far the "worst" production on KyoAni, but it isn't as idiotic as people say, if you actually watch it trying to relate it with the everyday chit-chats that fans make.

While I really think that most of th critics about LS being unfunny are right, I always, always, always hate when people say the animation of Lucky Star is bad. Its not bad. It's great. The fact that it doesn't look like Haruhi Suzumiya doesn't mean the animation is bad. If look at it carefully it's more fluid, colourful and detailed than any episode of azumanga daioh or pani poni dash*. It's just different from the stuff KyoAni usually makes.

When an american comic book artist called Stuart Immonen (look for him in wkipedia) changed from his usual ultrarealistic style to a cartoonish art for a comedy book, most fans where happy to see that he was an eclectic artist. I find it sad that some fans think that the quality dropped.

*i only make this comparison because all this shows are 4koma adaptations. and yes, i know Azmanga and PPD are way funnier than LS
Mephistophilus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:05 am Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:

We commoners who populate the forum township are a source of news and an inexhaustible supply of manpower and information, for good or ill, to the encyclopedia. ANN is nothing without the forum, where even the most insignificant newbie has more value as part of the collective than any of the staff, which isn't really a "staff" so much as it is a "troupe of clowns", given the circus act you lot put out is purely for entertainment.

First of all, calling the staff nothing but a "troupe of clowns" is downright disrespectful and rude. They do spend a good bit of their time doing this, and they do get paid for a reason. Second, under this logic, couldn't you also say that general news media is also nothing but a "bunch of clowns" in their status today? I mean, since there's always a person in the forum of life who "knows" random news bits and current facts of the world, the news is obviously useless in general outside of being a form of entertainment. Nope, there's obviously NO place where accountability of information should have a slightly elevated pedestal in the sea of information that is the internet and our data-saturated world.

If everyone searched for news without compensation because they "had nothing better to do," that news would often be complete tripe. People are paid to sort through the crap because there is so much crap to sort through. If there is no accountability, mistakes often go unnoticed. The fact that something is made of the mistakes such as the ADV issue is proof that a news structure is better than a news landfill.

Malintex Terek wrote:
Mephistophilus wrote:

Discussion is important, especially in bringing conflicting viewpoints to the table, but the problem is the arguments in this topic are automatically weaker than the "spring review" OGT is attacking - fewer people are going to be exposed to his view-points than to Santos and Sons. One can't drag down an argument that's mounted on a pestle.

This is where blogging comes in.

I agree. Discussion is very important. However, when discussion goes off-base and arguments are more about why the reviewer is obviously "so dumb," (which is often the case) that discussion becomes far less useful. It's true that more people are going to be exposed to the reviewers' and columnists' viewpoints, but if one actually wanted to discuss something that one found issue with, they would come to the forums regardless and speak their mind if there was an easily accessible link at the bottom of the page. If only we had one of those...

I also have to disagree on the "pedestal" argument. In many cases I've seen, arguments on pedestals are subject to far more scrutiny than arguments down in the depths, as they call attention to themselves that may be rather picky. Politics is a prime example, as many criticized comments politicians make would be ignored outside that sphere. Yes, the argument starts out a bit higher up than some of the rest. However, that argument also has a lot more chains trying to pull it down. You, Malintex, are also a good example of this. Though you aren't on a "pedestal," per se, you are very recognizable in your opinions and avatar/name, and thus come under more scrutiny than the average person. You draw attention to yourself, much like Steroid and narutofan do, albeit in a slightly different manner.
pi8you

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:12 am Reply with quote
Missing Option: Oh! Edo Rocket, Oh! Edo Rocket, Oh! Edo Rocket! Seriously, this is the most enjoyable show by far for me this season, and my Japanese-deficient brain doesn't even have subtitles to help it out. Someone pleeease pick this up Anime cry

Gurren Lagann, Seirei no Moribito, and Darker than Black are also pinging high with me at the moment, and Bokurano is promises to get rather deep. Sola's got its claws in me thanks to the sky/photography angles, and most of the rest I'm either on the fence about or leaning away from.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8