• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim to Complete Week with Friday Night Programs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Josh7289

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I don't care if it's not anime. All the anime I watch is on Cartoon Network and Adult Swim, since I never have enough money to buy any DVDs, so I'm getting really anxious to see what else they might pick up...
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:39 pm Reply with quote
i heard they are gonna show all the new shows they had pilots for

plus i used to love fridays back when they had the cartoons hosting and i was younger. then when they try to make it all live action and hip like xplay or something that sucked.

im hoping for an...ALL ANIME WEEKEND

or....

remember when they would have thursdays to reshow all the new stuff both anime and comedy on AS? i hope they do that...remember those lovely days!
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:56 pm Reply with quote
lithium_green wrote:
It was only a matter of time before CN/[as] abolished the old format and went with the 7-days a week thing. Now all that's left to worry about is whether or not [as] will air anime in their new Friday lineup.

Not only that, but with new live-action comedies coming, I fear for [AS] becoming another G4.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:10 pm Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
lithium_green wrote:
It was only a matter of time before CN/[as] abolished the old format and went with the 7-days a week thing. Now all that's left to worry about is whether or not [as] will air anime in their new Friday lineup.

Not only that, but with new live-action comedies coming, I fear for [AS] becoming another G4.

Question Do you mean that they are making their own live-action shows?

If that's the case, they won't be G4, they'll be MTV!
os-osiris

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:06 am Reply with quote
G4 has become alot like MTV though, except with even less programming that actually has to do with their channel's namesake.

AS should use this as an oppurtunity to create a second "action" block. However, I can't forsee them doing this, but it would be nice. I'd love to see reruns of older stuff they haven't aired in ages, stuff that they relegated to obscure (and often changed) programming times that were then dropped, or even moving .hack//Roots to a time when people are actually awake. Ha.

Last edited by os-osiris on Tue May 01, 2007 1:49 am; edited 2 times in total
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:27 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
lithium_green wrote:

Yes. Tim & Eric: Awesome Show, Great Job! and Saul of the Mole Men.

Both of which are poorly made, poorly acted, and live-action. Which has NO PLACE defiling the Holy Writ that is [AS] and CN. It doesn't help that they're making two live-action pilots (Go Fish and Fat Guy Stuck in Internet) either. Cartoon Network is for CARTOONS. Keep it that way like God intended!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:48 am Reply with quote
Historically, the reason CN didn't give AS the Friday nights was because ratings show it's the night when kids would stay up late at night watching TV. Saturday nights are typically the least watched nights, while Sunday nights they go early to bed for Monday's school.

Speaking of ratings, so long as the AS comedies are getting higher ratings than the anime, AS continues to make them. CN stands to profit more from any success of their in-house properties than anime acquisitions.

When an anime doesn't get much rerun, it's probably due to low ratings, like Evangelion (ironic - seems it's already all played out for everyone for being talked about for years even if they haven't seen it) and Witch Hunter Robin (actually, AS started to rerun it but cut that rerun short - now that was very obvious).

Now, as to why the new CN announcements (like the AS and the annual February CN Upfront) so far are non-anime in-house projects, that's how it usually is. Because CN starts working on their projects months in advance before the broadcast dates, they know about them well ahead of time.

However, anime acquisitions they can broadcast literally in just a couple of weeks after the deal is signed (which has actually happened before). Meaning, they don't need to acquire an anime in Spring that's to be aired in Autumn. They don't need to know and plan months in advance, unlike their in-house projects. They could acquire an anime at any time, and unless there's already an anime deal in place, that's why there's not many anime announcements in these early Upfronts.
omnistry

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:49 am Reply with quote
Fridays should be for anime comedies. There's a big-@$$ed thread devoted to "Love Hina" in the [as] threads (almost as big as our Haruhi thread), and I think if they put on something like "Hare & Guu" or "Pani Poni Dash!" it could reach out more to the fanbase. And yes, they should just put "Perfect Hair Forever" in the bunch just because.

But if they put "Assy McGee" again, I'll scream my head off.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:58 am Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
lithium_green wrote:

Both of which are poorly made, poorly acted, and live-action. Which has NO PLACE defiling the Holy Writ that is [AS] and CN. It doesn't help that they're making two live-action pilots (Go Fish and Fat Guy Stuck in Internet) either. Cartoon Network is for CARTOONS. Keep it that way like God intended!

Is that the crap that I'm seeing as I fast forward past the commercial breaks when I'm watching Bleach/Blood +? Some freak with his finger in some woman's mouth as she sucks on it? Is that what they're doing?
Toneloak

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:59 am Reply with quote
Is there anybody else hoping for a CN purging of Cartoon Cartoon Fridays. (Insert Here) Toonami followed by the Friday block of Adult Swim[AS] programing. I would really like to check out some .Hack and Yu Yu Hakusho at 8 O'Clock or 9.

Seems like a good idea to me.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:12 am Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
Fridays should be for anime comedies. There's a big-@$$ed thread devoted to "Love Hina" in the [as] threads (almost as big as our Haruhi thread), and I think if they put on something like "Hare & Guu" or "Pani Poni Dash!" it could reach out more to the fanbase. And yes, they should just put "Perfect Hair Forever" in the bunch just because.

Currently, CN isn't looking for comedy from anime - only mainly-action shows. That's their target demographic.

Besides, comedy relying a lot on ecchi humor is not the type of comedy that turns on Williams Street, as you can garner from their own comedies and even Perfect Hair Forever (mainly weirdness). That's why they already said years ago they're not looking for Ranma 1/2.

Toneloak wrote:
Is there anybody else hoping for a CN purging of Cartoon Cartoon Fridays. (Insert Here) Toonami followed by the Friday block of Adult Swim[AS] programing.

Wouldn't happen. CCF gets higher ratings than Toonami.
KrisEllieOphi

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:29 am Reply with quote
I'm glad to see I'm not the only person who hates most of the Williams Street crap. I was beginning to think I was alone in that, since most of the people I know love it. There are exceptions - Venture Brothers is one of the best things on TV, and for some reason I really get a kick out of Harvey Birdman, and Home Movies (though I don't know if that's considered a WS show); but I hate just about everything else. I don't even bother watching on Sunday's anymore because there's so much crap on there.
Actually, ever since AS started swapping around air times like mad crazy, I haven't been watching it much at all.

I also think it would be a good move to show premiere episodes on Friday night. I remember them doing that before, on Thursdays, and it was a nice refresher, or a way to see what you missed. If they don't do that, they'll likely just continue their M-Th programming. I doubt they'll give the night to anime, as they don't seem to care much about their anime viewers (which is strange since that's what really kicked them off to begin with). And as Friday nights are more kid-centric, I don't think they'll bring over the sort of things they show on Sunday nights.
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 5:05 pm Reply with quote
[quote="LydiaDianne"][quote="AirCooledMan_2006"]
LydiaDianne wrote:
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:

Is that the crap that I'm seeing as I fast forward past the commercial breaks when I'm watching Bleach/Blood +? Some freak with his finger in some woman's mouth as she sucks on it? Is that what they're doing?

That's exactly what you're seeing. It's supposed to be a parody of Sid and Marty Krofft's shows, but it's very poorly done.

As for ecchi comedies: [AS] really needs to reconsider their policy on fanservice. It doesn't matter what Kim Manning says, we need fanservicey anime comedies there. It's not like Love Hina has the same nudity level as Elfen Lied or anything like that.
omnistry

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 6:43 pm Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
As for ecchi comedies: [AS] really needs to reconsider their policy on fanservice. It doesn't matter what Kim Manning says, we need fanservicey anime comedies there. It's not like Love Hina has the same nudity level as Elfen Lied or anything like that.

I think America as a whole should reconsider their policy on "fanservice" and "nudity" on TV. Christ, even kids shows in Japan have some fanservice in it (most recently, "Hayate no Gotoku!"). It ticks me off that killing someone on TV is TV-14 or even TV-PG; but to show just a little nudity automatically constitutes a TV-MA.

It's the not-so-age-old-question: which would you rather find in your kid's room: a gun or a Playboy Magazine?
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:54 pm Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:

And while we would have to listen to the purists complain like hell, there is also the editing add-on of strategically place bubbles or towel.

Screw Kim Manning (so to speak) get SOMETHING DIFFERENT in there!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4