• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-05-11]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 7:32 am Reply with quote
I personally don't like most anime fans, because they seem to like reading manga and watching anime to the exclusion of reading books, watching movies from their native culture, or watching television shows from their native culture. Also a lot of manga/anime fans will watch ANYTHING as long as it's a manga or anime. As with any medium of entertainment, a significant portion of it just sucks, and if you'll watch and enjoy anything as long as it was drawn and plotted by someone from Japan, you have no taste. I prefer to be around people obsessed with fiction in general not anime in particular.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 7:35 am Reply with quote
I personally don't like most anime fans, because they seem to like reading manga and watching anime to the exclusion of reading books, watching movies from their native culture, or watching television shows from their native culture. Also a lot of manga/anime fans will watch ANYTHING as long as it's a manga or anime. As with any medium of entertainment, a significant portion of it just sucks, and if you'll watch and enjoy anything as long as it was drawn and plotted by someone from Japan, you have no taste. I prefer to be around people obsessed with fiction in general not anime in particular.

Just wondering... What brought this on?
Moros

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 7:53 am Reply with quote
XVII

Last edited by Moros on Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:02 am Reply with quote
That's fine. Give my regards to the "fiction in general" fans at their forum when you're there next. Be careful on your way out. Wink
ichiro3923

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:20 am Reply with quote
[quote="astroasis"]I didn't like the rant. I guess I'm in the minority, but I found it repetetive, dull and mis-informed. Oh, yeah... and guilty of using unnecessarily long sentences in an attempt at being "academic" or whatever that means.

I thought the article was interesting because it discussed a topic different that the usual rants, but I do agree that I some of the writing was too long that I could not understand the main point in a certain paragraph(I can't remember which).

It would've been much easier (for me) if he/she would reduce the length of the sentences and 'dumbed down' the vocabulary to communicate his/her message to the reader in a concise, and efficient matter. However his/her writing would be way better than mine, so I can't really give him/her any feedback...
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:25 am Reply with quote
ichiro3923 wrote:
astroasis wrote:
I didn't like the rant. I guess I'm in the minority, but I found it repetetive, dull and mis-informed. Oh, yeah... and guilty of using unnecessarily long sentences in an attempt at being "academic" or whatever that means.

I thought the article was interesting because it discussed a topic different that the usual rants, but I do agree that I some of the writing was too long that I could not understand the main point in a certain paragraph(I can't remember which).

It would've been much easier (for me) if he/she would reduce the length of the sentences and 'dumbed down' the vocabulary to communicate his/her message to the reader in a concise, and efficient matter. However his/her writing would be way better than mine, so I can't really give him/her any feedback...
Haven't had the need to write any high school essays yet then, I take it?
Moros

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:34 am Reply with quote
XVII

Last edited by Moros on Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:58 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
I LOVED the banner! Nice work integrating Answerman with the perfect scene for it!

Thanks! I had decided to use that scene, so I watched it again and then the idea using of the entire phrase from the dub (just changing the word "alien" to "answerman") popped into my head. I had a lot of fun making it and it turned out quite nicely too. I'm so happy that Zac picked my banner again this week. He must really like the ones I've been making, so I'll definitely keep sending them in. I'll even continue to make "unorthodox" banners from time to time as well. Very Happy

Now, on to the article.

The question on ecchi: I can relate somewhat. Anime with lots of fan service aren't necessarily my thing, but I'll still watch them. Fan service is quite entertaining, to say the least. I don't particularly mind regular fan service stuff like panty shots, boob shots, etc. But, If I were given a choice between a series with lots of fan service and a series that has none or very little, I'd most likely choose the latter. It's not my favorite thing in the world, but I'll watch something with nudity in it too, as long as it isn't in a sexual manner. There are quite a few anime with nudity that I love (like the Tenchi OVAs for example). It's just actual full-blown explicit sex that I don't like. I find it disgusting, not to mention that reading/watching it would make me uncomfortable. Because of the sex involved, I won't read "mature" manga like Basilisk, Berserk, SaiKano, etc. It's also why I don't watch hentai. That's just the way I am. But as Zac said, that stuff sells, so that's why it's so prevalent. I just have to be careful and check ratings before I delve into something.

The "ashamed" otaku: I'm rather reserved about my hobby myself, but I'm not as extreme to the degree that I'm sneaky and always watch things alone. I agree with Zac in his answer that that person is normal, but there isn't any need to be so sneaky about it, especially since he still displays it proudly. I'm the same way in that I display my anime/manga and I use anime wallpapers at work and such.

Catgirls: I'm not that big on them myself, but I will admit that they can be quite cute and even sexy sometimes.

Flake: The only thing that made it worth while was the signature. Funny as hell.

Rant: While it was well-written, it wasn't a subject that interests me, so I'll say nothing more.

Last edited by Jedi General on Fri May 11, 2007 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Moros

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:08 am Reply with quote
XVII

Last edited by Moros on Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:17 am Reply with quote
Moros wrote:
Is it just me, or are people avoiding the rant? How can it NOT interest you? Finally, a Rant that isn't just the same old topics rehashed! And yet, there are those - people who have written plenty on previous rants - who avoid it like the plague.

Latent homophobia, anyone?

I don't know. While it was a welcome change from the norm when it comes to rants, I just found the subject matter boring. I did read the entire rant, but it did nothing for me, despite the fact that it was very intelligent sounding and was put together quite nicely. Hopefully the next winner will have a more interesting rant.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:22 am Reply with quote
BRAVO to the rant.
I think some of you are misunderstanding what the writer was saying. While Princess Princess may not be about transgendered characters, he was saying that the review made the comment that if straight guys found a male cross-dresser attractive, would that make them gay? It's a more subtle issue of what is considered "normal" and "acceptable" and often times for people it isn't, such as transgendereds. It brings up an interesting thought, I would for one love to see a sensitive piece of anime exploring these issues.

Edited a typo. Wink

Last edited by bonbonsrus on Fri May 11, 2007 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Roy9076

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:28 am Reply with quote
Well, I hang out with new friends who are into anime since the old ones didn't really like it and find it pointless. ¬.¬ Anyways, show off your fandom! If people give you a hard time, ignore. I don't really care if people make fun of me for liking anime. They can all rot in hell for all I care. The "sterotypical" otaku is nothing more than an insult. Every medium has a sterotypical sterotype so suck it up and show it.

The flake was hilarious! At least it knows it!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Moros

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:30 am Reply with quote
XVII

Last edited by Moros on Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:53 am Reply with quote
Moros wrote:
[
Is it just me, or are people avoiding the rant? How can it NOT interest you? Finally, a Rant that isn't just the same old topics rehashed! And yet, there are those - people who have written plenty on previous rants - who avoid it like the plague.

Latent homophobia? Hardly. Sure, it's a breath of fresh air to have something different from the standard toolbox of ranting topics but I try not to turn to pop-culture for socio-political commentary. Let alone that the ranter seemed to latch on to the fact that *sometimes* *some characters* end up in the opposite *gender roles*. I may not have seen every anime mentioned in the rant, but the ones I am familiar with showed that the author merely takes into account the face value of a character in an opposite gender role and not the underlying cause of it. Not to mention, if you even want to try and claim Rose of Versailles is ahead of its time for trans-gendered relations, in the grand scheme of things, the number of titles that have these types of characters is still incredibly small.

astroasis wrote:
Oh, yeah... and guilty of using unnecessarily long sentences in an attempt at being "academic" or whatever that means.

Moros wrote:
After all, anyone who HAS been to high school and suffered through English will know that the rant is in the kind of style that teachers just LOVE!

I agree with astroasis in that it was the long, drawn-out and almost intellectual masturbation that academic writing is, which is what high school writing attempts to prepare you for. Since I'm a techie, I do a lot more technical writing which is the opposite of academic writing (like skilled foreplay, if I can continue a simile). Which style you use depends entirely on your audience and subject matter.
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:56 am Reply with quote
Moros wrote:
Jedi General wrote:

Rant: While it was well-written, it wasn't a subject that interests me, so I'll say nothing more.

Oh, PLEASE! If the next rant deals with earwax removal as portrayed in anime, will you suggest that those who are not interested in the topic are latent cerumenophobes?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11