• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cosplay Summit Convenes at Japan's Foreign Ministry

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Foreign Minister Taro Aso is such an avid manga fan that he is known to read comics in the back of his official car between appointments, but he was away at a meeting of Asian foreign ministers in Manila.

His place was taken by Vice Foreign Minister Katsuhito Asano, who clumsily imitated classic anime moves when asked to pose and smiled wryly at the crowd of reporters packing the room.

"My boss is a total manga geek. He must be sorry to miss this," he said, adding: "When we talk about serious foreign policy, we don't get this kind of media response."

It's rather nice to know that government officials can be nerds/geeks as well!

I would have liked to have seen pictures of Asano-san doing anime poses! That would have been interesting! lol! I'd say he's a rather good sport!

But, it's also really sad that we (society) give more media coverage to the superficial (Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan - I'm looking at you!) then we do to more important things.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:02 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
It's rather nice to know that government officials can be nerds/geeks as well!

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2006-09-24/taro-aso-speaks-in-akiba

LydiaDianne wrote:
I would have liked to have seen pictures of Asano-san doing anime poses! That would have been interesting! lol! I'd say he's a rather good sport!

I'd like to see him holding a Shinku or Suigintou BJD. Peach-Pit would love him.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:36 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Quote:

"My boss is a total manga geek. He must be sorry to miss this," he said, adding: "When we talk about serious foreign policy, we don't get this kind of media response."
But, it's also really sad that we (society) give more media coverage to the superficial (Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan - I'm looking at you!) then we do to more important things.

Too funny! I must say at first I thought this was sad as well. But really this is the right ministry to be doing this. Manga and anime is really the voice of Japan in mind of many outsiders(which is sad in it's own way). And cosplay ties right in to that. So while he says this is a silly event, and in many ways it is, I think it is important that they recognize how much of a foreign relations issue it really is.

dormcat:
Those dolls are gorgeous. While not my thing really, but how much do those MRSP for?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Those dolls are gorgeous. While not my thing really, but how much do those MRSP for?

I can't find the original website, but IMHO these two are even more delicate than the official Shinku released by Super Dollfie and supervised by Peach-Pit, which was ¥102,900 after tax. A box is being auctioned right now at Yahoo! Japan starting from ¥100,000 but is ¥211,000 as we speak. Therefore I wouldn't be surprised if the two were as high as ¥200K or more, especially if they came with the sleeping suitcase, porcelain teacups, and a pocket watch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
TNaran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:28 pm Reply with quote
That caused all the ruckus about (gasp!) superficial judging criteria. Are American competitors still boycotting it?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1