• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Baccano! (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HMMcKamikaze

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:15 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping someone else would notice that this had been released. This is too good of a show to pass up.
Ishmoo

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:04 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
Oh, thanks for the info JG. I saw that up on [Some fansub related site that shouldn't be named. Neutral -selenta] earlier today and was like "WTF (the F can be other words rather than just the F word Wink ) is that all about!?" Wasn't sure if there was a new season starting up or what, but yeah, now I know.

Thanks man!
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:29 am Reply with quote
Episode 14 was great. Loved the opening scene and how spoiler[pretty much everyone in the gang was helping with the dominoes. Even the waitress chick.] Firo stands out a surprising amount.

Graham Spector was something. Who do you think is crazier, him or Ladd?

spoiler[Young Chane.] So cute. Embarassed
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:59 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Graham Spector was something. Who do you think is crazier, him or Ladd?

Good question. I'd have to go with Graham. Who else would be crazy enough to use a huge wrench as his weapon against a shotgun? I do find Ladd to be the funnier of the two crazies though. His expression when he was told to question those guys was priceless. Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
abynormal

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:10 am Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to more of Vino and Chaine. They were my favorite couple aside from Isaac and Miria. The scene where Vino proposes to Chaine was just sexy.
Ishmoo

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:34 am Reply with quote
abynormal wrote:
I'm looking forward to more of Vino and Chaine. They were my favorite couple aside from Isaac and Miria. The scene where Vino proposes to Chaine was just sexy.

Yeah, am I mistaken, or wasn't he spoiler[dripping in blood at the time? Nothing sexier than a guy offering marriage covered in bits of grey matter.]
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:45 am Reply with quote
Ishmoo wrote:
abynormal wrote:

Yeah, am I mistaken, or wasn't he spoiler[dripping in blood at the time? Nothing sexier than a guy offering marriage covered in bits of grey matter.]

I agree, that scene was quite memorable indeed. I'm also looking forward to more of those two in the coming episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
abynormal

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Ishmoo wrote:

Not just that, but spoiler[the idea of two complete psychos hooking up. I mean, Chaine was undoubtedly crazy and dangerous enough, and then Vino comes along, even MORE crazy and dangerous and he's all "you're hot, let's get married 'because we both know I'm the only guy on earth who can contain you." The blood and gore was just window dressing at this point.] And that's just hot.
Ishmoo

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:47 pm Reply with quote
abynormal wrote:
Ishmoo wrote:

Not just that, but spoiler[the idea of two complete psychos hooking up. I mean, Chaine was undoubtedly crazy and dangerous enough, and then Vino comes along, even MORE crazy and dangerous and he's all "you're hot, let's get married 'because we both know I'm the only guy on earth who can contain you." The blood and gore was just window dressing at this point.] And that's just hot.

Absolutely hot, I agree. If only the yummy goodness of Baccano could go on forever!
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Why are you all calling Chane crazy? She's one of the sanest people in the entire series. spoiler[Vino] is pretty sane, too, if you don't count torturing people as crazy. And even then, spoiler[he's got a strong enough ethical code that he's definately one of the good guys.]
abynormal

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Why are you all calling Chane crazy? She's one of the sanest people in the entire series. spoiler[Vino] is pretty sane, too, if you don't count torturing people as crazy. And even then, spoiler[he's got a strong enough ethical code that he's definately one of the good guys.]

I would argue that just because you're crazy doesn't mean you're a raving lunatic like Ladd. I think Vino and Chaine are definitely crazy, but unlike Ladd, they're cold-blooded.

And it's been a few months since I watched it, but isn't Vino spoiler[an assassin]? That places him as an anti-hero, in my mind.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:10 pm Reply with quote
What exactly is it Chane does that defines her as crazy? That she doesn't show fear? Her reason for joining the Lumeres on the train is rational. If I recall correctly, the spoiler[only person she kills is one of Ladd's goons who was about to kill the little girl.] Maybe going toe-to-toe with Ladd on top of the train qualifies, but I'd chalk that up more to reckless confidence. Being willing to die for her father because she loves him so much, maybe?

Regarding Vino: is it part of the definition of an anti-hero that one can't be a good guy? Heck, most of the characters are gangsters, wouldn't that make Firo, Maiza, etc, anti-heroes as well? But they're the one we're rooting for, and who display a more righteous set of morals, thus, they are the good guys.
abynormal

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
What exactly is it Chane does that defines her as crazy? That she doesn't show fear? Her reason for joining the Lumeres on the train is rational. If I recall correctly, the spoiler[only person she kills is one of Ladd's goons who was about to kill the little girl.] Maybe going toe-to-toe with Ladd on top of the train qualifies, but I'd chalk that up more to reckless confidence. Being willing to die for her father because she loves him so much, maybe?

Regarding Vino: is it part of the definition of an anti-hero that one can't be a good guy? Heck, most of the characters are gangsters, wouldn't that make Firo, Maiza, etc, anti-heroes as well? But they're the one we're rooting for, and who display a more righteous set of morals, thus, they are the good guys.

I felt her unyielding devotion to her father's will strayed into the realm of mental instability. But I do agree that she is very calm and "normal" compared to others in her field. I also thought her muteness made her character more inscrutable, as she could only express herself through actions and facial expressions.

Due to the occupations of most of the characters, they are not "good guys" in the strictest sense. Yet, we know they are criminals and root for them in the same way people rooted for Richard III, Vito Corleone, or Yagami Light - because they had admirable traits. So I'd say "protagonist" is more accurate than either "hero" or "anti-hero." We know they are "bad," yet they are so interesting and/or likable we can't help but fall in love.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:38 pm Reply with quote
abynormal wrote:
I felt her unyielding devotion to her father's will strayed into the realm of mental instability. But I do agree that she is very calm and "normal" compared to others in her field. I also thought her muteness made her character more inscrutable, as she could only express herself through actions and facial expressions.

Unyielding? spoiler[She's opposed to the Lumeres ideals because she disapproves of their methods and she knows they are going to betray her father (and her). She's initially reluctant to accept Vino's offer, big surprise, because it's the first time she's met him and he is covered in blood.] She's perhaps willing to die for her father, but she doesn't intend to die for him.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Episode 15 is out now. Will post my thoughts after viewing.

EDIT: Another great episode, which was to be expected.

spoiler[We get to see more regarding Chane and Vino, and we also got to see the cause of Nice's scars and why Jacuzzi got the tattoo. Plus, we got more of Graham at his best.] Such fun.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6