• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Baccano! (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Just finished watching this series, and I think this is going to get a masterpiece from me. Episode 12 blew me away. This anime was a huge rollercoaster ride of fun and mobster violence.

I liked all the characters, except for possibly Lua and Ladd. There was no depth to them, I felt.

I'm sad because I really want to see the DVD episodes, but someone needs to avi those episodes. Sad Or, someone needs to license them ASAP so I can buy the whole set! I prefer the latter.

EDIT: was able to find 14 and 15 streamed, so I'm very very happy. I'm not sure how I feel about this new Graham character (especially since Ladd was my least favorite character), but just being able to see more of the others, especially Jacuzzi and Nice, Firo and Ennis, and Chane and Vino, is more than satisfying.
abynormal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Anyone seen episode sixteen yet? It's just the kind of ending I like in a series like this: it wraps up all the major plot points, but leaves it just wide open enough to leave room for sequels and the imagination (aka fanfiction). Plus, it gets my favorite couple together (squees).

Like the vice-director said, the story has no ending. It just keeps going on, adding more chapters as people's lives cross and influence each other.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Chane is SO cute!

The fight between spoiler[Vino and Graham] ended a bit quicker than I expected, allow the outcome was about what I anticipated.

There are a couple of things that happened over the course of the series that I don't understand why they happened. Nothing major, and the possibility of a sequel accounts for loose ends, but there are three scenes I'm wondering about. From the first episode, there's a scene where somebody with some sort of polearm takes a piece out of Isaac's ear (which then repairs itself). Several of the characters we come to know and love are in the background watching. The person with the weapon I don't believe was one of them. The scene is never explained or revisited.

A small continuity error occurs in the first (maybe second, but I'm pretty sure first) episode, when the bum attacks Firo. Firo loses a couple digits off his fingers, but they regenerate, and then Firo beats the bum up. The thing is, spoiler[Firo isn't an immortal yet at this point. He's not wearing his hat, which Maiza purchases for him as part of the tradition of accepting him as an officer in the criminal organization (can't remember the name), which occurs BEFORE everyone drinks the elixer.] In the novel, the scene just involves Firo beating the bum up without the getting hurt, and his rant while doing so demonstrates Firo's character. It also introduces a character who was cut from the anime, although as for as the first novel, it wasn't a big role.

Also, the final scene of episode 16 seemed a bit of an odd choice. spoiler[Isaac and Miria fleeing the police after the party where everyone was turned into an immortal. They have to do this in the novel as a distraction because the police officer character (that wasn't introduced in the scene I mentioned in the previous paragraph) shows up.] So in essence, they are showing us the conclusion to a plot mini-arc that never occurred. It's not bad, and one can still imagine the events (although slightly different from how the novels worked it) that caused it, but it's just not what I would have expected.
Sabut

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:00 am Reply with quote
About episode 16: spoiler["Carol, release yourself from the illusion..."]

Not bad, but chapter 15 was much better. There are some great scenes like spoiler[Vino talking with Rachel while eating macaronis, what a strange guy], and the very best of the episode is spoiler[the final talk of the vice-chief and Carol, really neat, great speaker, and the detail of the rat. Carol's face when she doesn't understands is very funny too] There are some other funny moments like spoiler[the cookies man inviting the chief of the info agency.] This character always called my attention, it isn't so frantic like others but it is really well done.

The other parts of the episode are really disappointing, not good enough for a last episode, I didn't expected much action in this one, but I expected more funny moments. About what everybody was waiting, spoiler[the encounter of Vino and Chane could be a bit better, maybe a few more words from Vino or something] the other closing parts, spoiler[Elmer with Sylvie and the Demon are a bit fun but not enough...] and the closing for the series was much better in the episode 13 than in this one spoiler[The scene of Isaac and Miria running from the police wasn't fun enough and didn't make much sense at that moment. Anyway the "Merry christmas" part was excellent, I laughed a lot]

I was expecting any fun scene with spoiler[Firo and Ennis] but nothing in the end...
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:29 am Reply with quote
Finally found a streamed episode 16... stupid h264 downloads...

Anyway, I'm sad it's over. I hope they make another season, 'cause this is one of my new favorite shows. Chane is absolutely adorable. spoiler[Nicholas got his comeuppance for being such a smug overconfident bastard.] I loved the reaction when the Japanese cookies man... er, forget his name, K-something... spoiler[got to see the Chief Editor of the Daily Days; Dallas is on the loose again]; and I laughed at the Vice-President and the way he always says "Carol."

Things were tied up, and more things are revealed, but enough was still open that I'm dying for a second season.

I really, really want to read the novels now, so I can fill in some gaps like that one scene with the lady in white and her giant spear in the first episode.. I need an anime license and a novel license of this series, ASAP!

I also need to sit down and write out a timeline so that I can get everything straightened out in my head of what went on where.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:50 am Reply with quote
Hey, Baccano! fans! The first two DUBBED episodes are up on FUNimation's video portal.

As of now I've watched the first episode in its entirety and bits and pieces of episode two. The dub is pretty good thus far. It's certainly nothing spectacular, but it works. The dubbed versions of Isaac and Miria are definitely nothing to sneeze at, and it's notable that some of the actors are attempting "mafia accents" with tolerable results. I look forward to seeing what the rest of the dub is like throughout the coming year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ian K

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I loved the accents in the dub, it really helped the setting come across for me. The dialog was also easier to follow than it had been in the fan subs. On the other hand, Isaac and Miria don't seem quite as funny as I remember.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:43 pm Reply with quote
this show is a lot better in english.
belindabird
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:06 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

I know, right? It just seems that stories set in Western locales or that have more Western sensibilities just sound more natural in English most of the time. Plus the dub for this series seems pretty competent and fun, which helps Smile
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Just watched the dubbed episodes last night. So far I have to say I'm really liking this dub. English Isaac and Miria I don't think quite stood up to the standards that Japanese Isaac and Miria set for their characters, but consiering how high a standard that is in the first place I'm not sure it's fair to expect them too. I think taking that into consideration they actually did a pretty great job of capturing their wackiness nonetheless.

And the accents don't bother me one bit. In fact I think it fits very nicely and gives it a certian natural flow about it I think the Japanese dub didn't quite give it, it taking place in the setting it does and all. So in a way I'd probably have to agree it's actually kind of better in English, although this series is good enough anyways. And I also think the VAs pull the accents off quite nicely as well. It was a bit akward hearing both Firo, Maiza and Jaccuzi use them though, because I think it gave the three of them more of a tough guy kind of edge that just doesn't quite seem to suit them. That's probably just being so used to their Japanese voices though and it all of a sudden switching them over to American 1930s gangster accents though, because all 3 of them seemed to still capture their characters' personalities just fine. I will say one thing though, and that is if you're one who puts all this critical emphasis on whether or not the dub voice sounds anything like the Japanese voice, other than in maybe Jaccuzi's voice (which actually sounds quite a bit like his Japanese counterpart, surprisingly enough), you'll probably be very disappointed here. Which of course is hardly a problem since I believe it's all about the acting job and the portrayal of the character in the first place and has nothing to do with matching the Japanese voice. And I think the whole cast does a superb job at it so far, accents and all.
farruinn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:15 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

You make it sound like it wasn't any good in Japanese! Smile

I've only watched the first episode, but I have to say the only English voice I like so far is Luck. He sounds great for the character and pulls off the accent the best. Firo is too nasally for me, Ennis too deadpan, and Isaac and Miria should be over-the-top with energy. I do appreciate that the Vice Director of the Daily Days spoke Carol's name with the same disgust as in the Japanese dub. I don't know why, but that always made me laugh.

Sabut wrote:
the closing for the series was much better in the episode 13 than in this one [ep 16]

Were the bonus episodes 14-16 actually adapted from the novels? Graham Spector was just annoying to me and his antics (eg dismantling a car in midair) were less believable than the other events in the series. These episodes were a disappointment for me and I can only think of them as extras and not part of the actual series.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:30 pm Reply with quote
farruinn wrote:
...Ennis too deadpan...

spoiler[She's an almost completely emotionless golem, she's supposed to be deadpan.]

But, yeah, I don't think the English is the clearly dominant performance either. I like it, but Isaac and Miria aren't over-the-top enough, and to my mind, the series will always invoke the very first spoken line of the series in the particular the Japanese actor says it.
farruinn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:56 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
spoiler[[Ennis is] an almost completely emotionless golem, she's supposed to be deadpan.]

Except that in the scene from episode 1 she's already spoiler[with Firo, so the emotionally development that we see later on in the series has already occurred, and presumably has continued while Isaac and Miria were digging for gold.] I understand your point, but I still maintain that it is a poor interpretation/performance. I didn't want to open that can of worms of comparing the two dubs, but for what it's worth it doesn't sound like that is the interpretation used for the Japanese dub anyway.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Listened to a few spots of the English dub, so this is a potentially unreliable impression, but... I think I'll actually stick with the Japanese track. Part of it is the attachment to the original voice actors.

farruinn wrote:
Were the bonus episodes 14-16 actually adapted from the novels? Graham Spector was just annoying to me and his antics (eg dismantling a car in midair) were less believable than the other events in the series. These episodes were a disappointment for me and I can only think of them as extras and not part of the actual series.

Seriously? Less believable than the lunacy that happens on the Flying Pussyfoot?

If you don't like it, okay, but the reasoning for the criticism seems inconsistent.
farruinn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:28 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
farruinn wrote:
Graham Spector was just annoying to me and his antics (eg dismantling a car in midair) were less believable than the other events in the series.

Seriously? Less believable than the lunacy that happens on the Flying Pussyfoot?

Heh, I see you you mean, but I guess Graham was just too "cartoony" for me. Within the world established by the rest of the story, the events that happened on the Flying Pussyfoot were at least consistent with the setting. I'm still curious if the extras were adapted from the novels though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6