• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Action anime recommendations.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsC_BaTToSai

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:10 am Reply with quote
Ok, maybe there is room there for a second season, but I still think it is a concrete ending. By that I'm saying that there was a major conflict and it got resolved before the series ended, unlike Gantz where spoiler[everyone dies except the main character. The last episode is him trying to save some random chick that no one even cares about, and the anime is finished without them ever escaping the machine, finding out why they are killing "aliens", or wishing back his friends.] If you only want to see good action fighting scenes, ok it's worth a recommendation, but I like to see a complete story or I am left at the end feeling cheated and angry.

The reason I say The 12 kingdoms has an end is because spoiler[the protagonist is ruler of her country by the time its over. That was the major point, she accomplished her goals and set things on the road to recovery. Had it stopped while she was still arguing with her sword, then the series would be on par with Gantz] Same with Trigun, we know how his battle turns out. Sure he walks off into the sunset, well, that's the ending. What more of an ending could there be? Haven't you ever seen The Lone Ranger or The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly? Trigun was the anime version of a comedic Clint Eastwood or John Wayne

Other notable action anime I've seen that have no ending but have good/great action in them is Inuyasha, Shakugan no Shana(if its really over), and Claymore(also, if its really over). I'm hoping to get endings out of the last 2, but Inuyasha was over 160 episodes and omg i was not happy lol
ShadowTrader

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:53 pm Reply with quote
I watched Gantz for the violence and the action, the fact that it didn't have a resolution as you say has no impact on me not recommending it as a good ACTION series. Although I agree with you that resolutions are important to have that "Ahh!" moment and reach a climax of all the emotions felt while watching, I do not consider it necessary for an ACTION series.
I never finished Inuyasha once it fell into the common Shonen syndrome (fillers), I stopped watching altogether and I would not recommend it under the ACTION series.

I did however just finish Technolyze, which I found to be another good action series. It was very dark, and had a lot of depth to it. It probably takes a more mature mind to understand all the allusions to heaven, hell, the devil, and God, but if you have a strong stomach it is definitely a good show. As a side note, the very last song on the last episode was also pretty amazing.
dorinbmf

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:27 am Reply with quote
Samurai 7 is an OK action anime if you're into guys with katanas slashing 100 ft. giant robots. It's a sci-fi remake of Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai, the story isn't that good: a village attacked by bandits hires 7 samurais to defend them from the attackers and also, towards the end, from the central government. I said the story is weak because the series is too long (26 episodes) for the original story and about half-way through the writters ran out of ideas. I also found the characters very annoying, but the graphics and the action sequences are very well done. So if you want to watch just as an action anime then I recommend it, just don't pay any atention to the so called "drama".

Another good action anime is Desert Punk. Basically there's this shotgun-wielding adolescent mercenary (described in the series as being a "handyman") doing his thing (chasing after girls, shooting up bad guys, scamming everybody he meets, chasing after girls) in a post-apocalyptic Japan. The series doesn't really have a story, just action packed with gun-fights in desert towns... and it's hella fun, so watch it if you've already seen Black Lagoon.
JediMastr80

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I thought GunSlinger Girl was nicely action packed. Good Anime too.

Mahou Sensei Negima! and Negima!? were also decent action (No gun Fights, Only Magic Fights, though not as much as there should have been).

Haven't really seen Many "Action" Anime, only a few.
FrederickIIofHohenstaufen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Ok.. perhaps not as action oriented as some would like, but Code Geass and Code Geass R2 have a fair amount of the explosion factor, coupled with giant robots, it certainly belongs in this category at least partially. The Macross series also belongs here, with the forementioned explosions and giant robots everywhere, though I found all but Macross Frontier to be kinda boring. Other then that there is every Gundam show under the sun (more giant robots). (anyone besides me sensing a trend?)
samp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Hi, I have a slightly more specific request than just generic action anime. Are there any good series, films or OVAs where the emphasis is on a more realistc team-based kind of action (eg, like following a military unit around)? I've been looking for this type of anime for a little while, but the best example I found so far is Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex, and even that has an awful lot of heroics in it. That's not to say I'd be unhappy with another series in a similar vein to GITS SAC, of course.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:50 pm Reply with quote
JediMastr80 wrote:
I thought GunSlinger Girl was nicely action packed. Good Anime too.

I'm going to have to disagree here. A person going in to Gunslinger Girl expecting a Fullmetal Panic or TTGL style action anime will be a very disappointed person indeed. GSG is more of a drama than anything else, it's about the lives of these girls. The show is only 13 episodes long and each of Triela, Angelica, Claes, Rico and Elsa (sort of) get their own character study episode in addition to the several that Henrietta gets. The only real action is in the first episode, which gets flashed back to in the second episode, and the larger operation near the end of the series (episode 10 I think.) All told, there probably is probably a minute or less of action in each episode.

As a matter of fact, as I am typing this I've realized that I was subconsciously plagiarizing Key, as in his review of DVD 1:
Key wrote:
Given that this is only a 13-episode series, and one character is yet to be introduced and profiled, that likely means that this whole series is more a character study with some action scenes thrown in than the action-drama series it appears to be at first.

Key: Your writing style just seems to stick in my subconscious.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Samurai Champloo: This is one of my favorite action anime ever. The action scenes in it are seamless, and are set to good music. Mixing the feel of Samurai movies with alternative hip-hop.
Darker Than Black: This unique anime has some pretty cool action scenes that fit in well with the story. It also has a unique look on the whole "super human abilities" thing.
Gurren Lagann: This is a popular series and a must see for any mecha fan. I would say it's like Evangelion meets FLCL. Just carzy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:14 am Reply with quote
Kurozuka: Go in expecting a bloodbath. The art is a bit different than most anime. Characters are tall and thin, and there are lots of colors; lots of dark colors. I think it's a bit more stylized, too.

When there isn't action going on, the show is quite, almost pensive, but there is lots of fighting. Did I mention blood? Killing people with a sword is messy. Episode 9 is particularly impressive, and has an absolutely breathtaking chase sequence that lasts for about half of the episode (at least, it felt like half the episode, in a good way).

I want to say it reminds me a little of Ninja Scroll, but with most of it occurring in a post-apocalyptic world.
FLMikeATT

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Fist of the North Star, anyone?

summary:

In a post-nuclear future, human race has made many steps. Normal people have become slaves, while genetically modified giants rule the world. Gunpowder is a distant memory and martial arts is the only weapon a man can count on. Two schools face each other in the battle for dominion: Hokuto and Nanto. Kenshiro is the rightful successor of Hokuto school, while Shin is Nanto's. Shin stole Ken's girlfriend Julia and Ken is looking for her. Kenshiro travels the barren wasterland of post-apocalyptic Earth as seeks to rescue Julia. As the series progresses, we are introduced to the six Grand Masters of the Nanto Seiken school, as well as Kenshiro's three adoptive brothers, also trained in the art of Hokuto Shinken. Eventually, Kenshiro's ultimate rival becomes none other than his eldest brother, Raoh, a would-be conqueror who does not recognize Kenshiro as a worthy succcessor.

Also, hasn't been mentioned yet, but Flame of Recca is a pretty decent series. Not quite on the level of say, Yu Yu Hakusho, but it's better than a lot of what's out there.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:43 am Reply with quote
Some consider it Cowboy Bebop's oft-neglected distant cousin, but Outlaw Star is pretty harmless, enjoyable sci-fi fare, and it holds up surprisingly well considering its vintage.

I haven't seen it yet, but I just ordered the Viridian Collection of Samurai 7, and I heard it's got sweet action and MECHS IN THE SAMURAI ERA. Now how can you go wrong with that?
anime advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:40 pm Reply with quote
The most recent action anime i've seen is chaos head. I thought it was great, so if I had to recommend an anime in the action catagory then that would definatly be the one at the moment.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Chaos;Head as action? I must have been watching a different series. Kind of a mind-screw series about a borderline-hikikomori loser who suffers from delusions? The limited number of action scenes were rather unimpressive in terms of animation.
anime advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Chaos;Head as action? I must have been watching a different series. Kind of a mind-screw series about a borderline-hikikomori loser who suffers from delusions? The limited number of action scenes were rather unimpressive in terms of animation.

Yes, there is a lot of delusions in Chaos Head, and yes Taku goes pretty crazy. Having said that I still think chaos head has a good selection action. Take the D-sword for example, I like how the D-sword interacts with the delusions. That is why I thought the action scenes were quiet impressive in terms of unique animation.
jjordan33

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I've been doing some reading on Ergo Proxy, and it sounds like just the kind of badass dark action anime that I would enjoy. What I don't read though is how the anime is done, you know, like the tone of it. Does it feel like a futuristic Matrix or more old fashioned like Noir or Burst Angel?

Or something else entirely?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8