• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2nd Eva Film Remake to Add Redesigned EVAs, New Girl

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Xenofan 29A wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Usually when I hear somebody offering more fanservice in the next installment of something, I wince, but when Misato says it, I don't - can't - mind it.

You have to remember that "fan service" doesn't have as narrow a definition as most people think. The Eva launch sequence, a nod to a popular otaku show, and general inside jokes are also considered "service".

I mean, does anyone really consider Eva a fanservice-y show in terms of sexiness? What show were they watching?

There were plenty of suggestive shots of Misato, Rei, and Asuka throughout the first half of the series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Roy9076 wrote:
ADV needs to pick this up, now! First release a sub then the dub with sub. That way, it'll make more money! Anyways, exciting news!

I wouldn't be surprised if ADV already has it. But they probably won't be announcing it anytime soon. There seems to be a long gap between theater releases and DVD releases in Japan. For example, the Bleach movie came out last year and I think it just recently or is just about to finally come out on DVD. Even if ADV has it licensed now, the licensee isn't going to allow them to release the R1 DVD before the R2 DVD. So ADV wouldn't be able to release it for another 9 months or so. It's certainly possible ADV will announce the license soon, but I don't expect them to announce it until early next year.
Invader_Spooch

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Maybe a possible limited theatrical release then.

Arthouse movie theaters, please.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:05 am Reply with quote
Hitokiri:
Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if ADV already has it.

Don't be too sure. If Bandai Visual winds up handling the home video rights in Japan, they might try to use the movies to break into the U.S. market.
CitizenGeek

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:05 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Xenofan 29A wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Usually when I hear somebody offering more fanservice in the next installment of something, I wince, but when Misato says it, I don't - can't - mind it.

You have to remember that "fan service" doesn't have as narrow a definition as most people think. The Eva launch sequence, a nod to a popular otaku show, and general inside jokes are also considered "service".

I mean, does anyone really consider Eva a fanservice-y show in terms of sexiness? What show were they watching?

There were plenty of suggestive shots of Misato, Rei, and Asuka throughout the first half of the series.

Well, despite Misato promising fanservice at the end of every episode, there really was very little of it. It was never gratuitous and it was always at light-hearted moments, so I don't really mind when it comes to Eva!
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:49 am Reply with quote
Ahhh I can't wait to see this. Wednesday, I think! More excited now that there's a preview!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dokool

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:32 am Reply with quote
I made a couple calls to theaters today and decided that it's not worth dealing w/ a standing-room theater, so I'm going to see it after I get back from my 2-week trip to the states Very Happy I imagine it'll still be out by then...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:48 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Viga_of_stars wrote:

Sorry I mean rapes in a good way.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahaha

There is no "good" context for rape
Unless its agricultural. Wink
douglas2k6

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:32 pm Reply with quote
This movie is awesome possum! Does anyone happen to know what the next movie in the film series is comprised of? A basic premise would be fine, I'm one of those people who don't like to learn anything about something I'm going to see or play because I want to be surprise. Very Happy
NGE1113

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Redesigned mechas and new characters? Double-edged potential there...

penguintruth wrote:
Xenofan 29A wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Usually
when I hear somebody offering more fanservice in the next installment of something, I wince, but when Misato says it, I don't - can't - mind it.

Sounds like an in-joke to me. I'm guessing no remembers that during the TV series' run, Misato promised more fanservice during the next episode preview several times. Then again, they could actually be serious this time...
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:09 pm Reply with quote
NGE1113 wrote:

Sounds like an in-joke to me. I'm guessing no remembers that during the TV series' run, Misato promised more fanservice during the next episode preview several times. Then again, they could actually be serious this time...
Then again.
The whole franchise has been an in-joke since the last two episodes of the original TV series so I remain unconvinced that these will be any different. I look at these as fresh bait for the old trap. I await to be proven wrong. Wink
eloyabun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Excuse my ignorance, but what does mean "standing room only"?
NGE1113

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Standing room only refers to a situation when a facility sells out all the seats they have at a specific event, and reverts to selling tickets (often at a reduced price) for others to stand and watch that event.
eloyabun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:46 pm Reply with quote
NGE1113 wrote:
Standing room only refers to a situation when a facility sells out all the seats they have at a specific event, and reverts to selling tickets (often at a reduced price) for others to stand and watch that event.

Thanks for your answer NGE1113, so it means that the premiere of the movie was perhaps a private event? Confused
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:20 pm Reply with quote
eloyabun wrote:
NGE1113 wrote:

Thanks for your answer NGE1113, so it means that the premiere of the movie was perhaps a private event? Confused

Movie premieres are always invite-only events.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7