• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What's the variety of manga stores where you live?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
orphen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 6:42 pm Reply with quote
How many Manga stores are there where you are? I live in Australia and man are Manga comics hard to find!Only 2 are in my local area within 5 towns.I really think we need more.I'm sick of having to drive all the way to Sydney to get what i like best!Manga!Arghh!!!!!!!!!!!What do you think?Do we need more?
Mou Kaoru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:22 pm Reply with quote
I get ALL my manga from my local Waldenbooks. They have like 3 whole shelves FULL of manga goodness nyo. Over the last 4 months, their graphic novel section has grown consistently. I see a new title everytime I go there! Other places in my area are Barnes 'n Noble, Half-Price Books has some, local comic book store, and the ONLY known anime store in town.

I live in Corpus Christi, TX by the way (south tx ya'll Cool )
Cerberus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I buy all of my manga from Waldenbooks, since I get a discount from my Preferred Reader card and extra points that add up to $5 gift certificates. They have a really great selection.

Surprisingly, my local comic book store doesn't have any manga besides a few Raijin Comics issues.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tis Grief

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:09 am Reply with quote
Waldenbooks, mainly for me. However, mine aren't doing that good, and are SEVERLY behind. It's beginning to get on my nerves actually. But Suncoast, Barnes & Noble, and Borders all have manga too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
molloaggie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:40 am Reply with quote
One of my bookstores had a kiosk highlighting new TokyoPop manga. It had a full size cut out of that cute little guy from their .hack manga!! Oh, I wish they'd give it to me!

The graphic novel section varies immensely store to store. It's weird. At least two book stores have more manga stocked than the local anime store.
Shorty22

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I only know of two stores in my area. Suncoast and B. Dalton. Suncoast started with a puny little turning rack, then a slightly bigger turning rack, then a rack on the wall and finally a nice bookcase. However, when I went recently, they moved it back to yet another turning rack and moved all their anime as well because "The manager wanted it that way." Rolling Eyes

I buy mostly from Suncoast. I only recently discovered B. Dalton's supply. They both seem to carry the same titles, but B. Dalton seems to have more complete series available. For example, there's 8 volumes of Chobits, so B. Dalton would have at least one copy of all 8 where as Suncoast would only have a few copies of a couple volumes; 3 of #8, 2 of #7, and a #5, last time I went. I broke down and bought 2 missing volumes from my collection at B. Dalton's the other day, but I stay at Suncoast because of their point/coupon system. I've also occasionally bought manga at Amazon. A few were cheaper there and a few aren't available at my stores.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:22 pm Reply with quote
We have a wonderful little store here in Atlanta called Oxford Comics. That have about 3 wall shelves filled with manga. They also have artbooks and import books and CD's

If I'm at home, Books A Million has a decent selection of manga. All the Tokyopop and Viz stuff.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Here in Birmingham we have a store called Legacy Comics that has about 10 wall shelves of manga. I go there, confident that whatever it is, they got it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Arkard

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:12 pm Reply with quote
In my black-hole city - Radom, in Poland we have 2 stores with manga. One is all comics store - so it always has the newest volumes, other is something called an Empik - a place with video games, GB, GBA, magazines, books, photography accesories and of course comics - they have a 1/2 shelf their with Video Girl Ai, Kindachi and Mars.
sometimes I like to go to Warsaw (capital, 100 km North) because there arep lenty of comic-book stores there (about 30 I think) and they all offer manga Smile
arxane

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:08 pm Reply with quote
A lot of my manga I get from Borders. If a certain manga is late in shipment to Oklahoma City, they're usually the ones who get it first.

However, there's a comic book store called New World Comics that sometimes gets manga in about a week or two earlier than what the shipping date indicates. I've gotten several manga quite early because of this store. And the best part? They don't charge any taxes for manga.
Zenitram

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Theres a Waldenbooks 10 miles away at the mall so whenever I'm in town, I buy from there. If they dont have something I need, I buy from www.rightstuf.com.
LordShishio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I live in sarasotaFlorida and we have a hell load of places to buy manga well here are the big ones

Books a Million
Barnes and Noble
Suncoast
Waldenbooks

and about a dozen little comic book stores.

Okay maybe not a hell load.
space clam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:38 pm Reply with quote
About a dozen little stores within a 10 minute drive of my house, and a Barnes & Noble and Books-a-Million fairly close as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
hamtarofan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Manga stores??!!!!!HA!!!! Where I live most people are as clueless about the word "manga"as Micky mouse!! Mad
Laughing Hyena

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Ventura County:
Borders, Ralph’s Comic Corner, Barnes and Noble, Suncoast, and Waldenbooks.

In my opinion, Borders (in Oxnard) and Ralph’s Comic Corner (it's better to visit the store) are 'the' places to go for manga. Barnes and Noble, Suncoast, and Waldenbooks are very limited in what they carry. Both three carry Toykopop for sure, but only two (B+N and W) actually have a few mangas that come from other companies.

The used book stores in downtown hardly carry any manga that I know of. And I can travel to places close by (Santa Barbra and LA County). You know I'm just drooling to visit Little Tokyo in LA.

Any thing imported: I get from Amazon Japan.
Right now, I'm trying to find an online store that deals with Italian-translated manga.

Last edited by Laughing Hyena on Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2